gold with lead

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys ive been trying to find an answer but come acroos one just want to know if ive found a spot with abit of natural lead will there be a chance of gold with it in the adelaide hills region thanks

GoFind60 ... are you sure it is lead ?

Lead is mallleable .. if you hit it with a hammer it will flatten out like a gold nugget or any other soft metal, alternately you may have found some Galena which generally is seen in various sized cubes, it tends to sparkle in sunlight, if it is hit with a hammer it will shatter into pieces.
Mercury it isnt .. as Mercury at room temperature is a liquid form and solid when frozen but interestingly when frozen it becomes one of the hardest metals known to man.
Another possibility ... Adelaide hills ... commonly a place where Silver has been found.

As for gold being where you found your specimen, there is a greater possibility if it is Galena because Galena belongs to the sulphides group like pyrites (fools gold), and the sulphides are found in the areas where you look for gold.

Forgot to mention .. in the past it was common for bushmen to make their own musket bullets ..melting any scrap lead and then pouring the lead into moulds had over spills that ended up on the ground, plus the slag / scum that floated on the surface of melted lead would be discarded onto the ground or into open fires .. and you my friend may have found some.

Lead.
It is possible you have found galena.
Which may have gold in it.
More than often silver is found in conjunction galena.
But unless you have 3tons of it you are wasting your time.
Plus to separate the lead-silver - and gold is a long process, and unless done correctly can also be harmful to your health
The parkers proses is the easiest but caution must be taken

When i get home i will bash it with a hammer is a pic of it
1442113635_rps20150913_123652.jpg

I would guess it is lead, and with the pics you put up, your finds almost resembles two used bullets disfigured after impact .. the gold and lead association your hoping for is like gold and quartz you just have to find where the two of them have formed a partnership.

By the way .. another metal that pops up from time to time in an unusual shape can be the old aluminium can, which has melted in a camp fire and formed globules of rounded silver coloured balls, often found slightly flattened on one side.

My guess is lead, maybe bullets that melted in bush fires I've found a few that looked like nuggets but were just lead :(

Digginholes said:
My guess is lead, maybe bullets that melted in bush fires I've found a few that looked like nuggets but were just lead :(

I know what you mean, you rub them and rub them, hoping...but in the end they are still grey...

Me too, commonly some of the unusual shapes created by molten lead is a bullet that was fired into a tree... later down the track when a bushfire ravages the tree stump it is it lodged in, the height to the ground that the molten lead may fall can cause some wonderful looking shapes.

One of the simplest test to identify a piece of lead you pick up is the old fingernail scrape test ... lead can be easily scratched with a fingernail and if you then see a shinny silver surface ... you know what you have found ...

PS .. if you chew your nails you might consider using a pocket knife or something that has a bit of a edge on it.

Latest posts