Gold Cyclone From Gold Hog's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought hours and hours of panning are supposed to be fun....all done in 6 minutes that's like one pan for me! :lol: Takes all the fun away

yes i have used one
was not overly happy with it
firstly it is a (super con ) refiner, which doesn't fit a lot in, maybe run 5-6 times per bucket
you will still have to pan it out
then you need to classify it down and re run it every time.
then i re ran my cons to remove the gold
if you don't have strong mains water pressure, forget it
plus it uses a bit of water, its better to run bore water, which has high pressure and wont run up your water bill

i find it easier to classify my cons to plus 20 and pan that
then run the rest to -20,30,50,100 mesh
the 20,30 and 50 mesh i run through the desert fox
and the 100 mesh i run over the miller table

this early on in your hobby mate id seriously focus on learning how to pan, its free it works and its something that you will do every single day/time you go out the better you get at it the easier it is. ps the desert fox is awesome you will still spend more time dialing it in for every spot ie.e. more black sand less, larger size grains it never ends. but with a good range of sieves and some pans you can process any cons.

G0lddigg@ said:
this early on in your hobby mate id seriously focus on learning how to pan, its free it works and its something that you will do every single day/time you go out the better you get at it the easier it is. ps the desert fox is awesome you will still spend more time dialing it in for every spot ie.e. more black sand less, larger size grains it never ends. but with a good range of sieves and some pans you can process any cons.

Gee, golddigger the only time i pan these days is when prospecting an area
and yes, when you have worked out the desert fox
it is easy as
i have markers on it for the different classifications and flow rate
that think is so much quicker than me
it will get the gold out of a 15L bucket 50 times quiker than i could get it all out

Next1m8 said:
I sadly dnt have a miller table will soon enough build my own, I'll research a desert fox cheers mate

A DIY miller table is easy
green chalk board paint
a mirror
some seal'n flex
some aluminum angle
a small pump or garden tap
have a look on youtube
most of what you need is on there

XIV said:
G0lddigg@ said:

Gee, golddigger the only time i pan these days is when prospecting an area
and yes, when you have worked out the desert fox
it is easy as
i have markers on it for the different classifications and flow rate
that think is so much quicker than me
it will get the gold out of a 15L bucket 50 times quiker than i could get it all out

So you don't think its worth learning to pan before investing hundreds in a desert fox?

Like everything mate it will depend on the type of prospecting you do, personally running gold hog matts i take home less than half a bucket of cons for up to 4 meters of sluice. I can pan that out pretty quick. if you have a look at Next1m8 's highbanker it doesn't hold that much material that couldn't be panned out in 5 minutes. but agree is your coming home with 15lt of blacksand you need to do something about that.

I still say learning to pan is the best asset a prospector can have, i'm not knocking your desert fox mate :) i'm sure you've got it nailed and i'm sure id love it if i bought one too :) my little cleanup kids pool work for me :) couple pans and a few beers... good excuse to be outside while the missus watches HAA

ps. could you put up a vid of your cleanup method? i'd love to see how youve marked it up and dialed it in.

No, I totally agree with you on the panning
learn to walk, before you run
trust me, i pan all the time in the field
but when i have 10 buckets of cons, after a week or 2 up bush
i would be there for another week panning it out
next DIY i make is a motorized classifying screen
similar to the (earthquake shaker screen)
I'm at work for about another week
then heading back up to the palmer
i will be there for a few weeks
so yes when i get home ( and i remember ) I'll take a vid for you all on the clean up
might even take a vid on the area I'm working

I'm not convinced that I'm panning correctly so I just watched the Garrett video on the correct panning method. He panned the first lot out dry then took the next to the river and panned it with water. It looked like he got a couple of grams from about 10L of dirt.
I've got a lot to learn on where to find gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUgvnCqIaCk

Practice with some lead
get an old sinker
hit it with a ruff file so you have some good sized lead files
put it in your pan with some sand rock and even old cons
put 10 bits in and pan it out
if you still have your 10 bits your doing ok
then do it again with smaller bit of lead
soon you will be an expert

(Golddig) im pretty certain that I've almost got panning down pat, at the moment seeing as panning off my cons is the only way to do it as I don't have any other means... I'm not a compete idiot, several bits are missing.. But i'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with getting other advice on possible means

Cheers for all the helpful advice XIV

I was thinking as a means for really testing your panning abilities is to get some gold off the plating on old PC cards and using that, or is that just too small/light/fine.

The other one I was thinking in when doing some soldering I ended up with some little blobs, would this be suitable ? They are small and pretty close SG wise etc... ?

Any thoughts ?

your little blobs of solder, i think would be a bit light, as for the gold off a PC card, really small
it would help hone in on -100 mesh
but add that to same size black sand and you would be hard pressed getting it back out lol

solder/metal slag is a decent test dependant on size and your panning skills and how u want to test yourself.
when i was testing my first homemade banker i put in tiny solder balls and small pieces of slag through the banker to see how much it was catching and how far down....the gold pieces over around .05g get stuck at the first two riffles with the super fines and pieces of slag caught slightly further down.

Same process for testing panning...they are light yes. but if u can still see the pieces of slag and solder in your pan when testing then u will see any gold of similar size for sure

problem with those is they would be round, gold very rarely is round and when it is its very easy to roll back in the pan. I reckon a few bit of old lead shot hit with a hammer would be the best. ive got plenty of lead shot around happy to send some in the mail if anyone really wants them :)

G0lddigg@ said:
problem with those is they would be round, gold very rarely is round and when it is its very easy to roll back in the pan. I reckon a few bit of old lead shot hit with a hammer would be the best. ive got plenty of lead shot around happy to send some in the mail if anyone really wants them :)

Wasn't really my idea, I came across it here - www.mine.mn/WPJ8_2_pen_balls.pdf

Latest posts