Reedy Creek/Broadford gold panning, worth exploring?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, first post on this forum.

Reedy creek, the one north east of Kilmore and east of Broadford (not the one near Albury). Has anyone had success in this area/can provide some tips about gold panning in this area?

Additionally I’m curious about warrandyte in comparison. Is warrandyte completely exhausted or can the common gold panner still see results?

I haven't found much at all at reedy creek/broadford.
You can still find the odd peice or two at warrendyte but like megsy mentioned, you will come across more tiger snakes than gold.

I have taken people to warrendyte to get their first speck of gold but only during winter. Because snakes scare the 💩 out of me and no one wants to hear a grown man cry like a newborn child

Yarra holds good gold and found my first about 60 years ago near "The Island" area during a long drought when the Yarra was very low. Standing in waist deep water and shoveling bottom gravels into a pan held underwater, I was getting really nice gold (lots of black sand too).
My first "Bonanza" was cut short though when I lost grip of my gold pan and it floated away downstream never to be seen again. By the time I had an opportunity to get back to the spot the rains had come and river levels had risen.
Just not sure about legal panning access to that area now.
Attended a demonstration of a small (2") gold dredge in the Reedy Creek mentioned. Got a few colours but the creek seemed quite small and maybe had been well worked.

I know the island you mention hawkear. I have often wondered about the treasures around it. Pity it's now off limits 😔
If a parks Victoria ranger doesn't catch you there, im sure a warrendyte Karen would be sure to give you a peice of her mind

Latest posts