Gold concentrates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see some nice colour coming out! Was prospecting a new place today and well there's more there then I got in 5 hours today on the pan.

It's there though, you just gotta find it!

Once you see gold for first time as well, you know from then on out!

You just get a... Feel for it, and the force that you need to move it in the pan and then you won't mistake pyrite for gold in the pan again.

Though you'll mistake it every time you pick up a rock thinking there is a run of gold through it and you tilt it and the gold turns silvery clear lol. Damn pyrite!

Tom

Hi diggertom your stuff looks to be on the mark, I have a question with post can you send it through the post to Tas ? Or have u sent any here before ? If it can be sent to Tassie I am very interested thanks.

jack beltane sells bags of "turbo dirt" for $20, at wynyard market , think hes at penguin market for winter? can contact him at tasmanian prospectors facebook group

Oh cool that sounds good diggertom, and I'll have to try jacks as well once I find him lol. As winter in Tassie is cold and my hands frezz in the rivers down here.

That's the good thing about eldorado DD, every year it replenishes from what I've gathered, every few years it replenishes alot more with the floods. I guess most places are like that though, but you can find gold in the creek, or 50 metres up the hill, it's just everywhere here which seems to be somewhat unique.

I prospect with a old local guy a few times a week, saftey in numbers right, he's old and I got a bad ticker so it works out great.

He's been prospecting here since the late 70s and lived here for the last twenty years. He's said that the dredges, they come and go, but they never get everything. His averages of what he gets hasn't really changed to much in the last twenty years since dredging came illegal. He'll still get his half gram for a few hours on the pan. He doesn't sluice anymore just cause carrying the equipment is to much for him now though.

There are the occasional dredges up there, I havnt seen any yet but you can see when they have been there as it's just bedrock on stretches, you just don't try to find it there, or you cevice the parts they uncover and do alright lol.

DT

Hi Tom,
I'm a newbie and would be interested in giving this a go with my kids.
Can you PM me your details so I can purchase.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Tom my bags arrived today and I was there to receive it, iv paned my first bag of con's and wow its more in one bag than iv gotten from 3 trips to my local spot doctors rocks. Its amazing thanks again Tom, I maybe getting more in time to come :D

The really fine gold dust I had trouble separating with my pan was put in my new blue bowl, and it worked great, all the gold is now in a pot with no sand or other debris.
Im truly impressed with the concentrates and the blue bowl.

gday tom , im back from my holidays and the nieces and nephews couldn't believe uncle jack would turn up with a bag of dirt! well the bag of "dirt" was a real hit , none of us had seen so much gold . trying to separate the very fine gold from the black sands was a bit of a mission, and there was a LOT of very fine gold , and a black pan didn't make it any easier , but I reckon the greatest value in the "bag of dirt" present was the experience and bonding sessions we had , thanks again mate , jack

I'm in the northeast too, I've had a go with the sluice on reedy creek, but I can't even find close to what your getting.. I wonder what I'm doing wrong there, I've noticed gold everywhere but I can't get any real production happening, lucky if I got a gram out of 5 days on the creek... :eek: :/

G'day Strobez.94,
Welcome to the forum.
Might be worth asking a question or 2 about the setup of your sluice, maybe the angle is too steep, water flow too much etc etc, there's a number of factors which affects the outcome.
Cheers,
Paul

I'm using a little high banker I bought from a local prospector, and it seems to catch some really fine stuff so I'm not sure that I'm losing any, after first couple attempts I started to put a pan under it to see if I was losing any but didn't seem to make it that far,

I used miners moss at first with expanded and riffles, I think I was losing some at THAT point but hadn't thought to check before someone said I should be using marine carpet, so I'm using that now, wondering if a combination of the two would be better?

I still do test pans before setting up just to make sure I'm getting some colour,
But never can find any good flakey bits just real fine specks and a couple real tiny flakes,
So when I get a spot with 1-2 tiny flakes and a few specks of the super fine stuff, I just start shoveling material and hope for the best..

Problem is there's usually two of us at least and never had any good results which sucks when we typically split the take and neither of us have much to show for the trips over there.

Is there any advice on whether there's better spots on the creek for the bigger flakes or is it just the luck of the draw? I'm a bit lost, I see people do better with a pan and a yabbie pump, I feel like it's costing me more to run my HB pump than what I'm able to get in return,

Great work-out, and I love being out in the bush giving it a go, just not been overly lucky so far, would love to have some better results, Any advice would be appreciated! :D

PS. What depth should I be digging there? Is there any point in going deep? Will I find the good stuff down deeper in reedy creek or is it all just on the top?)

Cheers. :cool:

Hey Strobez,

Reedy creek can be difficult, I wouldn't sluice anything without at least 10-20 colours a pan, and it had I have bigger bits in it, can't be all fine stuff.

It may be your sluice, you may not be cleaning it out regular enough. I clean mine out every 50-100 shovels. Never any higher then 100 as the tin just builds up and I lose gold.

Also I run a rubber matting, I found expanded meshes and miners miss didn't work that good and I was loosin half the gold with them.

The matting I use called comfort floor matting and I use the underneath of the mat throughout the whole of my sluice.

Tom

Thanks tom, I guess I just need to try a few different things and see what works,
Didn't expect it to be easy, but after seeing this I know there's improvements that have got to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts