Getting Harrassed While Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct on carrying petrol.
Or similar things that are not normally carried.

Can of deodorant is a good one, but,

Your detector is a good weapon if you have to.

Only one hit then stand back.
If the goon comes at you again,
All hell lets loose but do not hit any one when they are down.

That is classified as excessive force.

real good advice on giving a female throw petrol spray with oven cleaner holy hell the only advice would be leave or find someone there until the cops show all that other crap would be great if you do that to the wrong person and then feral could be sitting in a morgue some real dumb advice

Yeah OK.....

My advice is a bit extreme.....point taken.

Ive been in fear for my life in some situations.....these days if it comes to that I don't stuff around.
But yes I get your point.

My 'passive response advice' then (avoiding violent acts if possible)
would be in that case to FILM THE SITUATION.
its non-confrontational and everyone has a phone with a camera. its great evidence.

anyways sorry if I upset anyone.

Not my beloved Deus as a weapon :eek: . Thing is though, has anyone else been hassled like this?

My offsider has declared " No more night detecting for you" and my thoughts were get off your butt and come with. Not that I do much of it anyways, to busy with work and other stuff.

Walking away was a calculated move. My mistake was I lost track of the dude twice. Some of the suggestions are a tad over the top. If the boys in blue say no to the pepper spray, I can always start carrying my little digger I made.

One thing is certain though, I refuse to be scared off by a bully regardless as to whatever excuse they may think they have.

No offense here ColourandShape. I see were your coming from

Sorry if it seems excessive, but I was told of oven cleaner by a cop mate.
He told me of many items that are illegal to carry (viz: baseball bat), but of substitutes that are, and are more effective (viz a long Maglight torch at night).
Your call if you want/need to take that route.

Funny you should bring this up, Ive had the odd run in but Friday night I had a less excessive but similar thing happen.

Detecting a park not far from a pub, guy comes racing over from the outside area, directly behind me. Yhe wind was getting up and so I was putting headphones on and off, at this moment I wss at retrival.

Anyway gets the old fella out, P!$$ed all over my coil and really came quite in my face asking all sorts of erratic questions.

The second he saw my blade for retrieving go to my right hand, he adjusted up a bit, moved it not to threaten him, but had my phone in my left pocket as well as my car keys. Vehicle was only 20m from me.

Just kept him talking for a bit despite his hostilities, always I just say the same thing, got to go, while working my way towards the car.I use the going home for dinner, or going to meet a friend nearby shortly, and I always make a point to say I just used the phone to talk to someone (wife friend etc) in the last few minutes and they are expecting me. Usually this does the trick to allow you to move on quickly.

My real mistake was being in a place Id never been on a Friday night, I usualky do a lot better to schedule hunts around less social hours, especially this time of year.

Unfortunately you cant avoid it, these things happen from time to time. Not sure what you can do in your original scenario, weirdos are hard to predict.

Don't understand why he pee on your coil OldGt

There are some strange people out there...

Please everyone look after your self...

Goody

That is just not on. What a cowardly person. The fact that you're a woman is neither here nor there. The bloke sounds like an A grade loser who should be in hospital today waiting to go into theatre to get a deeply inserted Deus removed from his smelly freckle. :perfect:

Hope you're OK after such an unsettling experience.

A very recent case of pepper spray was in the courts in NSW, all charges dropped, she didnt use it,
but when found with her she told police it was for self protection, they arrested her and later charged her.
But all of it was dismissed by the court.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...n-sydney/1b6eb6e3-9ff0-42dc-8761-5293aa8b8aa4

another -

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/i-...for-carrying-pepper-spray-20140723-3cffk.html

Ultimately if you are in fear for your life or someone else's life you can do what is needed to prevent an attack, even as far as to kill,
NOT the first choice I would hope.

But it seems even the courts in NSW are not inclined to implement a punishment for a offence like this.

Police will tell you it is bad juju, but where are they when so many girls and woman have been raped and murdered. :/

A different Court outcome if you used it in an attack I would think.

What ever you do, NEVER tell Police that you have ANY item in your possession to be used for self defence
, they have no common sense on this, they see charges and fines and just will question you to drop you further into it !!

A woman was charged successfully for having a hairbrush with a pointy handle, she did herself in for saying she could use it "to stab in self defence"
She told them what they were fishing for. :eek:

Be a lot more situationally aware, and have a good escape plan, go in pairs, dont provoke an extended conversation / arguement - just leave but dont lose eyesight
of the abuser, call the cops instantly on the first words of harassment, speed dial.

Be safe out there.

:)

Greenhornet_au said:
A very recent case of pepper spray was in the courts in NSW, all charges dropped, she didnt use it,
but when found with her she told police it was for self protection, they arrested her and later charged her.
But all of it was dismissed by the court.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...n-sydney/1b6eb6e3-9ff0-42dc-8761-5293aa8b8aa4

another -

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/i-...for-carrying-pepper-spray-20140723-3cffk.html

Ultimately if you are in fear for your life or someone else's life you can do what is needed to prevent an attack, even as far as to kill,
NOT the first choice I would hope.

But it seems even the courts in NSW are not inclined to implement a punishment for a offence like this.

Police will tell you it is bad juju, but where are they when so many girls and woman have been raped and murdered. :/

A different Court outcome if you used it in an attack I would think.

What ever you do, NEVER tell Police that you have ANY item in your possession to be used for self defence
, they have no common sense on this, they see charges and fines and just will question you to drop you further into it !!

A woman was charged successfully for having a hairbrush with a pointy handle, she did herself in for saying she could use it "to stab in self defence"
She told them what they were fishing for. :eek:

Be a lot more situationally aware, and have a good escape plan, go in pairs, dont provoke an extended conversation / arguement - just leave but dont lose eyesight
of the abuser, call the cops instantly on the first words of harassment, speed dial.

Be safe out there.

:)
I am not sure what law or rule you are quoting but if you are being attacked and you kill that person you are going to jail for a long time (that is coming from my uncle sitting right beside me who is a magistrate) also his words if you defend yourself and cause injury to that person they can lawyer up and sue you for damages
using a weapon of any sort will and can put you in the hot seat

ummmm...not sure what court your uncle presides at but in Australia we do have defensive homicide laws.

Not that it is a position that anyone would want to be in and have to prove.

in WA at least, we have laws that permit reasonable or equal force in self defence, but not excessive.
very few, or no magistrate will likely give you other than a politically correct answer in the first instance.
It would be downright stupid of any legal person to give any advice to the contrary in a public arena.

First and foremost regardless of the whatever laws your state has, try not to put yourself in harms way, secondly if you are harassed, try and walk away and defuse the situation, thirdly and I hope it never comes to this for anyone, defend yourself with any means possible.

These personal alarms will wake the dead and are legal. Even i carry one and i'm a strapping fella.
Highly recommended by our police. Dirt cheap on Ebay.

1576456784_screen_shot_2019-12-16_at_8.35.45_am.jpg

In short,
If you carry an object with the intent of using it as self defense,
That is premeditated.

( I had a shovel with me just in case )

If you have to use a common object that is equal to the amount of duress,
That is self defense.

( I had to use my shovel that I had with me to dig with. )

(Actually a shovel is used in this case as an example. It
is actually a very lethal weapon when used the wrong way. )

Take into consideration that the object may be taken off you then used against you.

Best plan of action, Walk away.
If backed into a corner, Then defend yourself with equal force.

Once the offender is incapacitated or you get the opertunity to escape,
escape as fast as you can.

Call the police or raise attention.

I have been taught this and asked the question many a time.

Latest posts