Getting Harrassed While Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off for those that don't know I am a over 50 chick with a buggered back and both shoulders. Got into the hobby to try to get moving a bit better. Could barely walk 20m before starting so it has worked. 2 1/2 hours though normally pulls me at on a good day. Love the hobby But........................

Last night there was an Event on. It started in the afternoon and finished at 8.30 pm. So I rocks up at 9pm, spent the first 45minutes trying to find somebodies lost car keys, no luck there, before getting into the detecting bit. One of the Organizers pointed out a bloke sleeping under a tree with his dog saying how she felt sorry for him ( relevance later). Off I go into my own little world with relaxing beeps, squeaks and farts coming from the Deus. The Roadies are packing up the stands and music stuff so there are peeps around. Grounds are well lit and the Council had just finished rebuilding this park so not really expecting much in finds.

Might of been around 10.30 or so, I don't carry my phone or wallet when detecting, corner of my eye I see a dog and a shadow. This "bloke" was in my face. Calling me all the names under the sun, none I'm gunna repeat. I'm like " What the F...............". He was close to 6 ft and I'm only 5 and a bit. The abuse goes on till he runs out of breath. I tell him to go away, turned and walked away but keeping him in the corner of my eye. Saw him walk away. What I didn't see was him go around the back of the building. Real brave type he is, waited till my back was turned then into me again. The roadies were watching, one of them called the cops. This time though this bloke was over the top of me. Told him again to go away and walked away again. This is were it got nasty, a lump of 4x2 goes flying past me. Didn't miss by much. The second lump would of got me fair in the back of the head if I hadn't turned in time. The third was a wild shot.

This kept going on till the coppers show around 11.30pm but by that time I had had enough and was back at my car. Think I need to buy some pepper spray

Question is, what would you do????

pepper spray would of been good. In WA its technically illegal unless you have good cause, but for women who are out late at night its accepted in self defence.
You should get some, but also be sure of the state law regarding possession, carrying, & using it

Can not use pepper spray in NSW...

You was lucky to of been hurt more Feral...

Like you I am in the same boat with the back and other things going wrong with me...

I have been lucky do far when I have been out and about,

Had more people asking if I get scared of traveling alone...

Please take of your self Feral....

Goody :)

Hi feral, in this instance, you did the right thing by retreating. Pepper spray or what ever is a last resort defense when you have no avenue of retreat. Your weapon can often be turned and used on you.

No amount of coins is worth your health and safety, let the fuzz handle it.

Thanks guys. I'm not a person to back down regardless of the threat. I don't care for the coins, jeez if that was the only reason to do this would of quit some time ago. In this case I think a hunting buddy would of made no difference or maybe worsened the outcome. Seems the bloke hates Detectorists and blames us for all his woes. That was the general gist of it all. I will be into the Cop shop tomorrow as I picked a this
1576376990_20191215_122752.jpg

From what I can find out, 20 plus year old high end costume earring. will ask about the pepper spray then

When you're by yourself and things are obviously escalating and lumps of wood start flying, sometimes backing down is the smartest option.
Not so much backing down but retreating to avoid what could be serious injury. There are other ways to deal with crap like that, that wont endanger your life.

The best way to avoid a punch in the face is to not have your face where the fist is.

I keep a Jar of Petrol Handy ......
Better than Pepper Spray......and its legal..

any mofo like THAT guy...
"BACK OFF M8 OR UR GETTING DOUSED......"......1st warning.

if he keep coming unscrew the lid n throw it over him (I find the chest area is good)

IF HE STILL keeps coming at ya ...........LIGHT HIM UP

every creature on this planet has primal fear of FIRE......

RESULT = end of problem LOL

:fire: :perfect:

Let the cops handle it feral ,as madtuna said your choice of weapon may be turned against you,it is not backing down, it is a orderly retreat before things get out of your control ,which sounds like it already had with bits of timber flying every where,with idiots like that it would be best to go to your car and call the cops, stay safe feral

Some of the suggestions are getting a bit borderline, just glad you are safe Feral, you did the right thing by removing yourself from the area.
Not sure what the answer is these days, lots of people with mental health, drug and alcohol problems in the community and you can never be sure of how some will react.

Latest posts