Garrett LS Infinium information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes. I tried both. I was thinking it might be electrical interference. I did think I was far enough away from power-lines and such, on the beach. How far away from civilization do I have to be? I'm about 800m from power-lines (through trees). But if that's affecting the Infinium then I'd say it would be the worst beach detector, considering most good beach are near towns.
I've tried it about 20 times now. Getting really frustrated.

trekwithleena said:
yes. I tried both. I was thinking it might be electrical interference. I did think I was far enough away from power-lines and such, on the beach. How far away from civilization do I have to be? I'm about 800m from power-lines (through trees). But if that's affecting the Infinium then I'd say it would be the worst beach detector, considering most good beach are near towns.
I've tried it about 20 times now. Getting really frustrated.

It would be an idea to ask the local garrett agent, and /.or email garrett U.S. I am sure there are guys on the forum with that unit,who will be able to advise you soon.

What state are you in?

Contact phil from the gold mining centre in SA.

He should be able to help because he knows these
Machines really well.

I had pretty much the same issues when I bought my second hand Infinium, but have managed to resolve all issues with minimum cost. It shouldn't be EMI, as the Infinium is quite stable in that respect, I can operate only a 100m away from mobile phone towers, and run it in my powered metal workshop with no issues.

Could be a few things, either an issue with the coil cable plug on the unit itself, mine came loose on the inside and cause continual hi/lo falsing no matter what coil is used, that was pretty cheap to fix at the Gold Mining Centre here in Adelaide.

One thing to consider is that whether the pins on the coil plugs are actually entering the small holes on the unit plug properly, you have to be very careful to make sure they go in those holes, and not into the surround foam of the plug, otherwise it will cause falsing. If you check the plug on the unit, you can sometimes see holes in the foam where the pin has missed the proper metal in hole, it is very easy to do. This may also be caused if the pins on the plug are a bit bent, or if you are just in a rush to connect everything up. Be warned though, don't bend the pins too much as they break very easily, requiring a completely new plug to be fitted. I like to physically see the pins enter the proper holes, then partly tighten the round screw on bezel, then check again to ensure that the plug is pushed all the way home, then a final tighten of the bezel.

Another issues with these detectors is if it is an old unit that has not been upgraded to run mono coils, the previous owner may have blown the front end electronics on the detector (and not told you about owning a mono). All Infiniums sold through Australian dealerships in the past should have had this upgrade, but if bought from abroad, may not have. Don't fret though, it's not very expensive to upgrade those eletronics (approx $50). Upgraded units from Australia should have a yellow or green sticker on the inside of the battery compartment.

If unsure of anything, or to confirm whether it is indeed an Australian unit, or if it requires upgrades/repairs, contact Phil at the Gold Mining Centre here in Adelaide on 08 8936 7455. He is an electronics technician, and used to be the Australia wide distrubutor for Garrett. He is extremely well versed when it comes to the Infinium, and doesn't charge the earth to look at or fix things, so it may pay to pick his brains. :)

Don't despair, it could be something that's easily fixed. :cool:

One other thing I forgot, probably not directly related to your issue, you must ensure that the coil cable is snug on the shaft, otherwise the coil will pick up the cable movement, especially in the surf or on really windy days. Just leave some slack at the bottom to allow the coil to freely pivot on the bottom of the shaft.

Another check to do is to touch the plug on both the headphones and both coils when in operation, if the Infinium acts erratically when touched, it could indicate cable shielding issues, requiring the cable to be terminated, and repaired. :)

Goldpick said:
One thing to consider is that whether the pins on the coil plugs are actually entering the small holes on the unit plug properly, you have to be very careful to make sure they go in those holes, and not into the surround foam of the plug, otherwise it will cause falsing.

Hmm... that might be it. I see that my headphone pin is a little bent, and I'm having troubles getting it back into the hole. Grrr..
After an hour, I decided to give it a rest for a while, and come back to it when I'm more focused.

I'm really hoping this is the problem. I'm just dying to get out and do some detecting!

Thanks so much Goldpick for your help. Hopefully I'll have it up and running soon :)

No problem, another thing to check is that the 2 female plug holes are making contact with the actual pin. Last time Phil serviced my infinium, he ensured that they were tight enough to make contact by using some small needle nosed pliers to squeeze the two halves of the female metal pin holes together to make them a tighter fit. When changing the coils over, ensure you do it under some decent lighting. Pull the round srew-on bezel back so you can clearly see that the pins are located correctly at the entrance to thetwo holes, and carefully push the plug in, don't force it .

I had very much the same frustrations at first, expecially when you rock up to the beach, start her up, and then find it goes nutso, falsing left right and centre. Thanks to Phil, once I got everything sorted, I've had no problems since. A couple of the coils that came with mine had pretty badly bent pins, so only after a few times of straightening them, they ended up snapping off. Replacement plugs from memory are around the $35 mark, Phil stocks them, and repairs them for a very reasonable fee.

Also be careful with batteries on the infinium, if they are anywhere near being low, they detector will start to false, making you think there is something more drastic wrong with the detector. The battery check on startup can be a bit misleading, I've had a full number of beeps on the battery check upon startup, only to find the detector start to act erratically 10mins into a hunt. Got home and checked the batteries in my little battery meter, and found them to be pretty low. I use rechargables in the Infinium, and now always check each battery before going out.

Unfortunately sometimes you get these teething issues buying second hand, but hopefully you cam work thing out.

I mainly use the mono coils with mine, but I really do like the 5x10 DD coil, it is nice and light, but still seems to get good depth. I find the large DD too weighty, and prefer the monos - both very light, sensitive, stable, and get excellent depth. Let us know how you go. :)

Hi everybody
so the story goes I was unsure if i was able to run a mono on my infiniun so i rang garrett aus. and was told to email my serial number to them and they will contact Garrett US for me and find out, so they have got back to me and the response was "your garrett infinium LS serial number XXXXXXX is the international version suitable for Australia"
So does that mean yes i can run a mono?
Cheers Jamie

I'll dig up some links, info in the finny and post here later.
Here is a pic of mine when I had it.
Had a fair bit of fun with it on the beach but was a handful in our hot round in the triangle.

1411177861_infin.jpg

Some reading.

http://mymetaldetector.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/1st-garret-infinium-finds-on-sand-key.html

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/garrett-infinium-ls

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...-hunting-revised-edition-february-2011-a.html

http://www.finders.com.au/Finders_Archives/News/PR180.HTM

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet.aspx

One more question I have is that everything I have read about upgraded infinium is that it should have a green or yellow sticker in the battery compartment showing it is/has been upgraded, mine doesn't have that sticker, still ok to go with a mono cause garrett said it is the "international version" suitable for Australia

Ok between the last post and now, garret sent me another email after I emailed them asking "is that a yes I can run the mono coil" got the simple answer "yes I can".
Thanks for the help guys :)

The green stickers refer to older infiniums that were modified in Australia by the Gold Mining Centre, to enable them to run the mono coils, previously they could only run the DD coils. My infinium was one of those older units that was updated here in oz, after the fact.

The later infiniums were all updated in the US prior to shipping here, of which yours will most likely be one of them as Garrett have indicated. :)

Hey! I was woundering if the Garrett infinium is a good metal detector for the central west area? Please let me know.

Thanks
Angus Lillie

Hi Flash_crusoe1

I have a Garrett Infinium LS and used it a few times near Collinsville, Bowen and in Charters Towers. I found coins and some relics with it but I haven't found any gold. Although I have seen youtube videos of people finding gold with it. What I like about the Infinium is that you have different coils that you can put on and the price for the machine is not to bad. However, for serious gold prospecting I would prefer my Minelab SDC 2300 any day.

Latest posts