Garrett LS Infinium information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog

Hugh Carrington
Reaction score
Just recently picked up an Infinium as I thought it would be good for beach work. Has anyone had alot to do with these machines.

No not this particular machine but I know it is PI which is better in wet sand than VLF.
My tip is you see a lot of people at beach detecting but not many in the water & that is where most of the stuff is lost.
Worth trying some local swimming holes too.

Have you got the 8" mono or standard coil? If you haven't got the 8" mono, look at getting one as it makes the infinium so sensitive.

Bulldog said:
Just recently picked up an Infinium as I thought it would be good for beach work. Has anyone had alot to do with these machines.

Yes Heaps!.......Standard 14x10"DD coil is fine for beach work.....big Mono is slightly lighter.

15/sec (Disc 0) is about the most sensitive setting this detector can do......no matter what Garrett coil is attached.

ivanll

Have one and love it, used the mono first with a poo load of noise, the forum suggested the dd coil and wow, found some more pennies and a couple of half 's, just got back from a farm prospect and depth not a prob, one penny approx 2 feet down and then found a lead bullet about 10 inch down, thought is was a nugget at first nearly crapped my duds, when I swung the handful of dirt over the coil and it screened at me and then held it with the weight, but a scratch of the item then reviled silver, bugger. Still learning and will hit the beach tomorrow avo I hope, see how that goes. :cool:

1361175554_image.jpg

I have and Infinium, waiting delivery of the 2 mono coils.
Will be interesting to go over some already covered ground [ with the standard DD }

I'm looking to purchase my first detector. Got $1500 to spend. An all rounder to be used on land and beach. Would the Infinium LS be ok for a beginner?

Hi Pweter, I did a fair bit of research and went this way as a 2nd machine, for me to use,
(SWMBO got the GPX)
I haven't had it long enough to make an informed decision to say i did the right thing or not.
But I really believe it is a well balanced all rounder.

Infinium LS is a Pulse Induction Detector........... It would not my first choice for a beginner.

Rather a Minelab X-Terra 705 or a Garrett AT ??............. with a good size coil for beach work.

ivanll

Hi Pweter, I did a bunch of research and decided on a Minelab Eureka Gold for $1,190 as my first detector. It should get here tomorrow if the postie is having a good day.

I also wanted an all rounder that wasn't too complex to operate, would find gold and also do the local park and kid's playground. I know it's a VLF and not the latest PI detector, but it's baby steps for me ;)

I'll take it out for a practice swing on the weekend and let you know what I think of it if you like.

John

Thanks...the Eureka was my other consideration so i'll be keen to hear how ya got/get on with it.

I have had an an Infinium for a couple of years now and it has worked well for me in the Surf, in rivers on bedrock, in the desert, and in public areas like parks. I don't worry about the rain either.

IMO it is a fine choice for beginners since it is actually quite easy to learn if you follow the directions and watch the videos. There just aren't that many controls to deal with. Turn it on, ground balance and set to Lock, adjust the volume and go. While it does not have a fancy screen and a lot of discrimination options, I found that after only a few outings I was able to tell if I was on a coin, pull tab, nail, bobby pin or wire just from the sounds. My brain provides the discrimination without loss of depth. That said, I always dig all of the targets anyway. You never know what may be under the trash targets.

With the stock DD coil I am able to pinpoint most small targets quickly and easily. When you get a hit, back off a bit and approach again swinging slowly side to side. When you get a solid signal, the target will be directly under the center of the tip. You can also do what the videos tell you to do and approach also from 90 degrees but I find it completely unnecessary. For near-surface targets, I don't get any better information from my Garrett ProPointer and just keep it in its holster.

The only complaint I have is that the electronics unit is heavy. I have used the belt-mount option which pretty much eliminates fatigue and works well on the beach. When hunting elsewhere, I move the electronics unit below the cuff so that I have more flexibility when putting the Infinium down to dig.

Any experienced Infinium users..Help!!

I'm having a real battle with my Infinium.
Doesn't seem to matter how much time I take setting frequency and ground balancing, I cannot get it to operate quietly.
I started wearing the control on my belt, but it seemed that any movement on the cord would make it squawk. If I even touched the control box it would make a squawk.
It seems to be less sensitive now that I have it mounted under cuff.
I'll have it set so that stationary, on the ground there is a low steady threshold, but as soon as I lift the coil off the ground it starts whistling and squawking.
I even sent it back to the Prospectors Patch and they gave it straight back saying, "It's operating within tolerance."
Having said that, it has picked up a number of targets that would have also fooled my GPX4500 (which it replaced)
It's the constant noises that drive me nuts.. are your machines always noisy?
Any hints would be welcome.

Ha rusty, was reading a very similar prognosis, it turned out to be a loose wire in the coil line

Hope this may help!
;)

Rusty said:
Any experienced Infinium users..Help!!

I'm having a real battle with my Infinium.
Doesn't seem to matter how much time I take setting frequency and ground balancing, I cannot get it to operate quietly.
I started wearing the control on my belt, but it seemed that any movement on the cord would make it squawk. If I even touched the control box it would make a squawk.
It seems to be less sensitive now that I have it mounted under cuff.
I'll have it set so that stationary, on the ground there is a low steady threshold, but as soon as I lift the coil off the ground it starts whistling and squawking.
I even sent it back to the Prospectors Patch and they gave it straight back saying, "It's operating within tolerance."
Having said that, it has picked up a number of targets that would have also fooled my GPX4500 (which it replaced)
It's the constant noises that drive me nuts.. are your machines always noisy?
Any hints would be welcome.

Hi Rusty,

You say you replaced the GPX4500 for an Infinium....What may i ask "What" were you thinking mate.... :eek: :eek: :eek: ..extremely confused...Cheers Wal. :)

Gedday Rusty, .... What Wal said, .. ditto and in triplicate! .. WTF? .. Why Rusty? .. Why?

Yours in utter, utter confusion, The Digger.

Wal & Digger ...Why you ask?
Economics boys!! We were living in the goldfields for 6 months and I was able to justify the expenditure while we were there. They are finding serious gold over there, I found a couple of thousand dollars worth. But, after we left couldn't justify having a $4000 toy laying under the bed knowing that I I probably wont get back there for a few years at least. But, after I sold it I regretted it almost immediately, regretted not having a detector mmainly. I'd spoken with guys over there who had experience with Infiniums. Pro prospectors who walked ground they'd already swung with their 4500's or 5000's, and found gold that the ML's had missed. The Infinium has a pretty good fan club, and I reckoned it was worth a fling. If I can get it working I'll be able to have a bit of fun for about a quarter of the cost. If not .. well, the jury is still out. Fact is, if I had a lazy 4k I'd probably get another 4500, because I know how to use it and feel comfortable with it. But I'm not a rich bloke and so I want to try and get comfortable with the Infinium. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

Good enough reason Rusty...Hope you get the machine going well enough to get back onto the gold. :) However.. Would love to be shown a target by the "pros" over there with Infiniums that a 5000 can't pick up.... ;) Cheers Wal. :)

Latest posts