Garrett LS Infinium information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically what your asking is, are all the detectors you can think of any good?

Hi Flash C, I have a 4500 and detect the central west. I had a friend who used an infinium at Hill End for a few outings. It did not find gold and had trouble with mineralisation and would not pick up targets at any depth that the 4500 was picking up.
So my vote would be no,even if you got it at the right price you would be walking over and missing gold with one.
Cheers RDD

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Flash C, I have a 4500 and detect the central west. I had a friend who used an infinium at Hill End for a few outings. It did not find gold and had trouble with mineralisation and would not pick up targets at any depth that the 4500 was picking up.
So my vote would be no,even if you got it at the right price you would be walking over and missing gold with one.
Cheers RDD

Nice information!! :)

Yep, unless you have a virgin patch that hasnt had a detector over it, you are going over ground that has been done (probably pounded) by previous operators. So to improve your chances you need to get the best you can afford.

With the combo deals around on the gpx and sdc, and many people selling their 5000s (end of season, or waiting for a new minelab) there are some real bargains out there. So here's my list of units that will give you good bang for your buck, and can all still find gold today. From most expensive to cheapest.

1. GPX5000
2. SDC2300
3. GPX4500
4. GP3500
5. GP extreme/3000
6. SD2100e or V2
7. XT18000 (milder ground only)

Nenad

Fair enough Flash. Tried one when they first came out for a while. Didn't like ironstone ground at all, lot of false signals and noise. I didn't like it at all compared to the 2200 I had at the time.

Mainly price. I've seen a few XT18000s go for $550. If you are into Eureka Gold territory, then can probably pick up an SD2100 for the same money.

Hey Flash. Why not list all the ones you have your eye on at the same time, give us all a list and then those who have used them can give you their opinions.
Saves going through them all 1 by 1 over a length of time :)

Hi all,
This is a beginners story....may help some newbie in the future.
Recently purchased a used infinium (from a forum member :) ) Have been taking it to the local beach....getting the hang of it.
Just the other day i decided to try it in the Ocean....i'd love to find a ring.
but as soon as i took it in the water it started playing up...?!
All sorts of beeps and squeals....when i moved it to the left I got a full "target" tone....when I moved it to the right I got NO tone....?
So I turned round and faced the other way......now I got a target tone when sweeping right....but no tone when sweeping left WTF!
So i am cursing and cranky as my detector seems to go off every time its moved Eastward....

I go back on the sand and it seems to work fine......then back in the water..... all kinda tones....I blamed the coil....i blamed the coil connection.....i blamed the waterproofing.....Blah blah.....

Then I remembered something I had read in the manual and online and adjusted the discrimination just a little.....

problem solved....it worked perfectly.

being a Newb i thought if this thing can handle hot rocks and iron mineralisation surely it can handle sea water....so I didn't think to change anything.....glad I did tho...

Anyway within a minute or two of fixing it I got a target.....scooped thru 6 inches of sand to find rock....could not find the target...there are quite big cracks in the rock...but now it's been 2 hours (since I got to the beach)....the tide is getting higher....my headphones aren't waterproof etc etc....i had to leave it!!!

But moral of the story....it was operator error...take the time....learn your machine....
I will be back to the target ASAP with some kids in snorkels!! its either a ring or a fishing weight!!!
Steve

Some Infinium LS videos here, reply post # 7 Infinium setup at the beach might be of interest.

link......http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=20717.msg209878#msg209878

Sounds like you may have adjusted the timing back a bit, that tends to make it run a bit quiter in noisy areas, although not as sensitive to smaller targets (especially if prospecting). One issue with the Infinium that could be the cause is the coil cable, it has to be tethered firmly to the shaft, otherwise the coil will sound off on any cable movement when in the water (will sound like you are getting decent signals all the time). I tend to run the cable straight up the shaft to about 3/4 the way up, firmly tape down, then coil the rest around the shaft up to the control box - it was one of the first issues I had when I started out in the water.

Another thing to be weary of is be certain that the coil plug pins go directly into the female pin holes on the control box connector. If one of the pins misses, it will poke into the rubber surround and cause all sort of falsing, not to mention bend the pins which are prone to snapping if you try to bend them straight again.

Also when the batteries start to get exhausted, the Infinium will start to false every now and again, and eventually to the stage where it will be near unusable, continually going hi-lo - time to change the batteries out. Ensure they are all fresh batteries, as one dud battery in the mix can cause operating issues.

Out of interest, which coil are you using on the beach, one of the monos I assume? :)

Read the manual again and when your done read it again ,,,

pi detectors at the beach in wet sand going off will be a ground ballance issues and too much sensitivity or wrong ground track selection or a combination of all ,,,, wet rocks and salt water = hot ground especially on wet limestone , and what is your ground track doing , is it set to auto or manual fast or slow or in lock , and is your disc set at zero ,, and whats your threshold sitting on ,,,

Patience and time,,, btw read the manual again you have lots to learn ,,,

Thanks for all the replies and good advice.

I have the cable taped quite securely, I did try moving it by hand to see if it made the tones but it didn't seem to. Batteries were fresh too.

I started with the ground track on lock but moved it to slow to help eliminate one cause. I did start to hear how the ground balance worked as I was using the detector.

I am only using the stock coil that came with the detector, it was bought secondhand and has used all the funds I currently have.
A mono and some waterproof headphones may be on my Birthday list!

TBH I feel like it's all good, once the discrim was moved to just above 2 it ran perfectly.

Don't worry I'll update when I get the target!

Thanks again everyone!

i use a infinium too, mainly at the beach, when you first turn it on switch to slow and just let it sit with coil on the ground you are going to search for 10 seconds or so, then 'bob' it up and down nice and slowly from an inch to about five inches, once it quietens down switch to fast and do the up and down ground balance again, you can then go to lock and search, if falsing alot wind on a little discrimination, maybe go back to slow but i am always on lock with it but i will say i rarely go in the water, i normally stop at the waters/waves edge, remember infinium LS doesn't stand for 'land & sea" it means low and slow. As the others have said make sure the coil cable is firm on the shaft and even if the detector is giving the 4 beeps for fresh batteries, if they are slightly 'old' change them.
you really need to take your time with the infinium, swing it slow and just use a little discrim. if needs be. Hope it helps mate
Jamie

Just wanted to end this thread with a big thank you to Phil from the Gold Mining Centre in SA. He did a great job, and I'm thankful for his excellent work.

Latest posts