Garrett ATX Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I have been looking at youtube vids and reading reviews it just gets a little confusing with all the conflicting information out there , best way I think is to hire one to give it a go myself before purchase. :D

I had one for a year,
It will drive you nuts in mineralized ground,you will get a lot of headaches.
It will find you every hot rock out there,
It is very good with power lines,you will work if not under but definitely near.
Coil gives many false signals when bumped(any coil)-very annoying,
Don't need to go to the gym,your arm get all the work out you need and your spine too.
You may have minor hardware problems,
You may find gold with it.

If you set your mind on one get 8" mono coil don't bother with 20".

I would recommend SDC.
Come home with gold every time...

Exactly my findings, but only after 3 trips with one, giving it a good honest go.

Now if Garrett would put the ATX guts into an AT Pro housing, sort out the falsing issue, and price it at $1600, they would sell a truck load.
But they had better hurry, as the SDC is mopping up all the gold daily.

Yeah he seems ok. I think they're the two machines I'd like to have, love that portability!

My thoughts.... Over priced. If you tried to sell a vlf that falses as easily as the atx would be dead in the water. Perfect example of a collection of great ideas poorly executed. Stealth Beach Hunter deep on the gold by all accounts, depends on how much you would like to dig I guess. A good Beach with some gold jewelery finds might make it more attractive. Mate sold his a few weeks after he got it. Described it as the "ea" of the detectors he had owned, only prone to blowing his head gasket! Much better people than me own and use them though.

Yeah I guess that's the trouble with any detector, you can't really give them your own best assessment til you buy one and use it for a while, and that can be an expensive experiment process. I hear good and bad things about most detectors, I guess I'll just have to make a leap of faith sooner or later :/

This later video from Bearkat, where he tries to get the ATX (with the optional and expensive 8" mono coil fitted), to give a clearer detection signal more like the SDC, is a revelation IMHO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xlhp4ZxA6o#t=101

As he himself says, the SDC just screams on the target, whereas despite his tweaking, the ATX gives a pretty feeble signal in comparison.

Interesting video but it shows that the sdc timings are more suited and tuned to the 8" coil where the atx timings and tuning are a compromise if using all three coils . .. The sdc was built for gold in mind where the atx is a all rounder .. still both good detectors for what they are.

bought my atx a few months ago and found bits of wire, tacks and an old button around the 6 to 8 inch mark in hot ground only a few hundred metres from where they found the hand of faith i think it was at moliagul, vic....area would have been gone over many many times, yet the atx was still able to pick out targets, had the sensitivity at 12 as well, ran great......whenever i go out i always find something, just need to walk over gold...i love the machine for its stability, depth and ease of use, but digging deep holes in hard gold bearing ground is tough on the back, lol

grubstake said:
This later video from Bearkat, where he tries to get the ATX (with the optional and expensive 8" mono coil fitted), to give a clearer detection signal more like the SDC, is a revelation IMHO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xlhp4ZxA6o#t=101

As he himself says, the SDC just screams on the target, whereas despite his tweaking, the ATX gives a pretty feeble signal in comparison.

He says numerous times in the few clips I have watched, that in certain situations the SDC out performs the ATX. He also says he loves both of them, but I can tell he hates the SDC price lol. I'm not sure how the whole process works, but from what I can tell, if you buy at the US price and ship it over here, its actually a pretty good buy.

I think it actually sounded worse when he turned the threshold up. I think this video has just sold a bunch more SDC's!

In one of his other clips he says flat out that the SDC is better on small gold than the ATX. The whole point of the clip in mention supports this, there's nothing to argue. I don't own either machine so I am unbiased ;)

Seems like every second prospector is a dealer or sponsored by someone to push products. Well from what I've seen so far he's not too bad with his bias.

Both detectors seem to have their cons, the ATX more so, but they both seem to perform, and both have that compact portability that would suit me at the moment.

ok had my new atx for 2 months. I got the deepseeker package not that it matters. the problem started straight away with the coil screw.I would have to keep tapping it on the ground all the time coz it would flop around(the dd coil the 20'' is ok go figger) and (tightened it as much as I would dare)which did not help(and rubber is/was sticking out when it arrived). anyway have contacted Garrett dealer who was very helpful and said he can have it fix in 2/4 days( he on gold coast) which is ok but now I am hoping that this is not a recurring problem. hoping this machine isn't a lemon as I was looking at getting a 4500 or this. anyone have the atx and what do you think about the machine

Latest posts