Garrett ATX Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about fresh batteries . And are they Inserted the right way in. Maybe hold down the reset button when turning on like doing a factory reset

Don't know. . Maybe the batteries aren't contacting inside the detector . Or dirty contact

Faulty on off switch. .
. Did the atx you sold do the same thing too for the new owner ..

Ok my unit work... he miss with battery packs polarity... sorry... ;) no words to say. But Recon was factory new. Never used. One time checked. So I think it should be faulty switch. Any problem with your ATX?

No problems with mine at all . Heading out near kalgoolie on the 9th was spose to go tomorrow but the flooring place rang and new carpet has arrived so I'm busy moving stuff around . still waiting for the new coils to be made. Maybe later this month .
Check to see if the coil on yours is plugged in ..

Turn It on. Undo battery plugs . don't remove the batteries but push them in ... see if that helps they might not be making full contact. .. next would be a look at the on off switch. .

Garrett phoned today and says they have replaced the coil and lead but have kept the existing shafts, so nearly new is good enough for me. Looking forward to giving it a swing now and digging up some more junk for my collection ;-)

Just thought I'd flick you a note on my outing today. I was interested in detecting outside the East Moonta Wesleyan church. Most of you wont know where that is and that's ok, but it was built and operated in 1869 so I thought someone might have dropped a coin just outside the front door. The reason for the message is not to tell you of the ancient coin I found because I didn't find one but about the way the ATX performed. Outside the church was a bank of 4 HT wires on a flat bar + 3 HT wires in the triangular configuration. That's 7 HT wires. So I did the scan on the ground right under the wires, dropped the sensitivity to 8, and away I went detecting the area. I have to say I am amazed at the way the ATX works in built-up areas with so much EMI. Anyway just thought I'd share it with you.

It's emi cancellation is second to none . I've used mine under ht lines and not a peep even down near garden island at pt perron with the navy base nearby not a whisper .

Good on ya Marshy. I've had a hassle too with my headphones and Garrett just replaced them. They really are ok. Breakages and stuffups happen - its a fact of life. Good operators replace the stuff with out hassles. And Garrett does seems to be just that.

marshyboy said:
Hey guys,

My atx finally arrived, unpacked it and before I've even taken it out for a spin I realised that the coil cable is stopping the last shaft from fully going back into the housing. Anyone else having this issue or am I just being a div?? It works fine when it's not attached. And yes I have tied to wind the cable up tighter as it says in the book??

I could do without the drama after spending that sort of money if you know what I'm saying :-(

It looks like part of cable that can not be seen is not coiled up(or stretched).

No registered Garrett dealer will post to Australia (at least the ones that are worried about losing their dealership), you will have to use a postal service provider or get someone to buy it for you in the US. Plus don't forget import duties and taxes on items over $1000, plus postage, and fee for the postal service can all add up to a bit.

Even if you do manage to find someone to slip an ATX out the "backdoor", the Australian distrubutor will not deal with any warranty issues if a non oz delivered detector. In that case you would have to foot the bill to have it shipped back to the US, or just pay for any repairs here in oz.

It is the same deal now for most US manufactured detectors.

Too hard...

May get a tdi pro or

THE MINELAB F1A4 GOLD / METAL DETECTOR

LEVEL TWO - UPGRADED

Both same price

Latest posts