Garrett ATX Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I got a 20" ATX coil sent to Oz from US by Dmobx.com No hassles, and very quickly done. Sell thru Ebay to US but would want you to buy through the email contact. Doesn't need a "ship to" site either. I think its because of the costs of ebay. Anyway check it out. Hope it goes ok for you. TD.

Hi Tassie Daz. I hadn't seen that site before. I wonder, do they send detectors to Oz. The American prices are soooo low.
I've sent them an email asking if they mail to Oz. Even after the duties the detectors would be worth it.
Fingers Xed.

I have dealt with dmobx before regarding coils for the infinium (through ebay), but am surprised they can get away with selling garretts gear abroad. I am guessing they are not actually an authorised garrett dealer??

Don't know about credibility or whether they can and will mail detectors to Aus, but as I said I emailed them through their email contact on the web, established contact and went from there. I had expected to put the coil through a shipto address but no, came straight to me. The coil does what I expect it to do, so I'm happy, very happy. I am going to put it to the test when we go back to Vic in a few weeks so I'll let you know how I get on......here's hoping. I may even go back and buy the 8" coil too.

You can also contact Gerry from gerrysdetectors.com also on youtube and he can set you up... thats how I got mine and saved a bunch of cash!

Most ebay sellers won't ship to Australia, but dmobx seems to be the exception for some reason as are some others (although they usually redirect you to their own website for purchases). Jaros, did they mention anything regarding warranty arrangements on the Goldbug2?

Goldpick said:
Most ebay sellers won't ship to Australia, but dmobx seems to be the exception for some reason as are some others (although they usually redirect you to their own website for purchases). Jaros, did they mention anything regarding warranty arrangements on the Goldbug2?
I will check with my next communique.

hi all, just got back from moliagul in vic, managed to find a button at 8 inches and some wire at around six, not to mention the odd piece of metal in the hot ground about 500 metres from the monument. My question is, in a place thats been well hammered by many brands of detectors, how come they never picked up these targets. I found then only a couple of metres from the mullock heaps, any thoughts.

There could be many reasons:
Different machine/s; different coil/s; different operators; different direction; different tone/discrimination; different day - soil moisture content, atmospherics/EMI; most maybe concentrating on the mullock heaps not near them (bad idea - got a specci in between heaps a couple of weeks ago) etc. etc.
I reckon there's no such thing as flogged out ground. Seen too many bits come off them :lol: Some places are just harder than others for gold nowadays.

I heard a story about a fellow who didn't know nuthin, went detectin for gold anyway, didn't know how to read the ground either, walked off to where no one in their right mind who new everything and how to read the ground would ever look,....and snagged an 18 ounce nugget,...and then went home,....Mmmmmm,.....not sure if it was true, but does have a distinct air of probability,....lucky bastard.

I was using my atx for the first time and at least by finding something knew it was working properly, but as they say you got to walk over gold to find it i guess

someone will invent a machine that can tell where a detector has been used and how deep its penetration was,...then you shall know where to walk over untried ground or lightly detected areas(maybe),...that man is not I,...but I will take credit for the visionary idea of it,...and the dollars that go with the use of it when it's finally up and running. It's called a weak field retrieval 3d full colour spectral videograph,...and with a heads up display through your wirelessly linked glasses you can see in real time where you need to detect.

While your at it, you might as well make it remote control , so you can operate it from the comfort of a bar stool :lol:
Quick... To the patent office.. :lol:

I will meet you there Sandta and we can retire on the [profits and live like kings.

Marshyboy,

I have a similar problem. I've changed coils only several times between the DD coil and the deepseeker since receiving this unit. However after returning from the gold fields I went to more thoroughly clean it all and found the DD coil wouldn't allow me to retract it fully so that I could return it to the case. It would retract but would snag internally refusing to go the last 4 inches. I removed it and found the rubber coating in the coil cable itself on the DD coil had all come off on the inner part exposing the shielding. (It still works and all - just the rubber coating closer to the coil itself had all come adrift.)

I took it back where I bought it and George at NQ Miners Den took a photo of it and sent it off to Garrett for a warranty looksee claim. He reckons it appears the internal segments of the inner shaft were burred from manufacturing - chaffing the rubber whenever it was extended & retracted everytime until the rubber coating shredded from the shielding. George suggested not to use it in the wet until Garrett gets back to us...

The coil cable also appeared stretched similar to the DD coil in your photo but not as bad as yours. George said he did find it was important to wind the coil cable clockwise to help tension it before connecting it - otherwise he found it didn't retract properly on his demo machine. Whatever the case he reckons the internal barrel up near the coil end likely had some burrs to shred the rubber coating off like it had on my coil cable.

I'm waiting on Garrett to reply to the photos' George sent them....

I also tried the Deepseeker mono-coil in the gold fields - it did give us some inconsistent results. I think it's more sensitive to mineralized soil and 36 degree heat - giving weak but definitely repeatable signals in some areas we dug up (2+ foot is a long way down.) When we dug each one up - the signals disappeared with nothing in the holes. The signal was also lost over the mounds of soil dug up as well. Based on this I wouldn't dig up any signals unless they're reading more than 5, 6 or 7 on the led scale with the 15x20'' monocoil...I still need more time with this Garrett and still learning how to use this so therefore - early days yet. (Would have loved to have spent 2 weeks in the gold fields rather than the 3/4 days we did spend...)

Will let you know how I go with the DD coil warranty claim.
Cheers
Chris

Hey all, just wanted to get some feedback on ATX users, what is your thoughts about the machine? Pro's Con's etc. Have you picked up much gold with it? I've heard its a little heavy. Little confused is it an all rounder gold and treasure or aimed mainly for treasure.
I'm looking at a "Gold" Detector and the waterproof (all terrain) aspect attracted me to it, using in creeks and rivers etc. cheers

Imo it's one of the best all round pi detector . It'll be fine on beaches and in the water and gold hunting but forget about using it in trashy parks ..

Buzz, You will get all sorts of positive and negative views based on the opinions of those who give them. I have an ATX for the record and this it what makes it special as far as I am concerned.
1) Its waterproof - I can wash it under the tap when I get home to get all the grunge off
2) It finds small gold - I found a .31g nugget at Laanecoorie a week ago while at the bash 2014 and it is very sensitive. I run my detector on sensitivity 12 most of the time.
3) I can detect under power lines - that is I can start the thing up, do a scan and literally stand under the power lines and detect right under them. The Sensitivity has to be lowered slightly to 8 or 9 but in that position it purrs.
4) It has an IRON check facility that allows me to discard some targets. Means I don't have to dig every target and find that I've dug for junk. For the record, if the iron is decomposed badly the iron check does not always work, but if it works 80% of the time that's a huge amount of digging I don't have to do.
5) It is extremely sturdy.
6) A set of 8 AA chargeables I find will last about 12Hrs of detecting. [That's the Eveready type. The cheapies only last a few hrs but I have a set of them as backups. ]

7) Against the negative - With the 20" coil on the detector is heavy but I used it today and all morning then changed over to the 14x10 for the afternoon because I was in a different location.
8) Changing the coils can be a bit fiddly but after you've done I a few times you get the hang of it.

Hope all this helps. But in the end for all the positives you get a pile of negatives too [The Ford vs Holden syndrome] Good luck with it all.

PS. The best thing to do is to get on Youtube and watch NQExplorers - Warren. You'll see a heaps of stuff about the ATX along with Professional Prospectors who were blown away with the detector.