Garrett ATX Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok cool thanks for the reply and info iam sending it to the dealer next week so hopefully I get that retro fit.

was looking at that fix grubstake and looks like you have to cut some out of the coil fixing (warranty void) shouldn't have to do that I hope 8.(

, Hope you get it sorted out, as they are not a bad machine for the money. Unfortunately not in the same league as the 4500 for our gold fields over here.

thanks for the reply WalnLiz .yes hope its just not a rubber change and then 3 months later the same happens . i did run it in mount isa when i could but was rock hunting so not as much as i would have liked (was quiet but)

Most new machines can give a small hiccup at the beginning, but Garret are pretty good with their service, so I'm quietly confident that the problem will not be an ongoing one.

Best of luck out there with it and hope the first nugget shows itself soon,

Cheers Wal.

Have hope, and believe in your detector.
Here is a sub-tiddler found with atx month and a half ago
1416394617_image.jpg

how deep. that is nice. i test with a .22 bit just to tune in my hearing i have hope now

Waiting to for the other boys to report on Bluetooth capability, need the headset for windy days and could do without the cable, don't worry about the occasional false signal when you bump the coil on grass/ rock I usually run the coil over the same spot if it happens.
It does pickup up the hot rock when ground tracking turned off - I like it that way cause it also tells you the change in mineralization and when working a promising patch you want to hear everything. You just have to manually ground balance - no big deal. Enjoy your time out and hope you find one on your next trip.

thanks joe nice to know will try that when i get my coil back. have you have any probs with the coil screw or the machine in general

thebeans said:
thanks joe nice to know will try that when i get my coil back. have you have any probs with the coil screw or the machine in general
No issue with my coil but saying that I normally drag the coil on the ground ( with cover of course) if it tilts I push it back with my foot. I read lot of negativity but for those who preserver will find gold.Nothing worse then taking negative thoughts/frequency out in the gold field. :)

Hi thebeans, I have the same problem with a floppy DD coil but I'm just waiting for the replacement from Garrett. It has a larger hinge like the 20" mono only not quite as big. I may have had it by now but I've been too busy getting about to go see if it's in.

There's lots of negative reports on the ATX but most coming from people who've never seen one let alone used it. We got 44g on our first trip out and perhaps we were lucky but we did better then most. Everything else was Minelab and the only ones that did really well were using the SDC2300. They found lots of tiny fragments. We found most over 2g with the smallest 0.3g. We covered a lot of ground though and my guess is that we missed a lot of very small stuff that the SDC may have found.

I just bought the SDC for Sandra, not because the Garrett is not good enough but I need to keep her interested on the many little bits. We've only used the SDC2300 briefly on the beach in Hawaii and so far I'm not impressed. I has a good reputation on small gold though so that's my reason for getting it. So far it seems the Garrett ATX is a much better balanced comfortable machine to use. It's certainly more adjustable with various coils and most importantly a volume adjustment for every occasion. I can detect for 2 big days or 3 regular days without changing the batteries. It also takes AA batteries the same as the White's (that runs for weeks) and all our GPS machines.
The dam SDC uses C-cell batteries. What uses C-cell batteries these days?? and the charger they gave us is a bit cheap and nasty.

Time will tell when we get a few hours on each machine in similar terrain. I'm confident the SDC will find the small bits and I doubt the Garrett can. On the other hand we've seen the Garrett find the bigger bits deep down equally as well or better than other machines.

Hi To all,
Say are there many of us out there that are using the ATX Extreme ? .... if so how are you finding it ? does it manage to find much in the way of any notable size nuggets ? ... & just as a matter of interest what particular settings are you using ... I am looking for some tips & starting points on the ATX as its all new to me after using the GP3500 .
So if anyone wants to give up some useful info I would be more than grateful for some tips ... Thanks in advance.

;)
yakuza61

Hi Yakuza61, Yep I've got one and I love mine. That said I only use I when I'm in the goldfields and as I live in SA, that's not often. My relics detector is the AT Pro so I'm using that mainly. Last time I was in the Triangle I found a 0.31g nugget, going very low and very slow, but it did pick up the piece at about 1/2". You will hear more from ML users as there are more of them and they think the ML is better than sliced bread. Fact is, unless you walk over a piece of gold, no detector will find it, so hang in there and keep swingin'. Daz

Hi Tassie Daz,
From one Daz to another.. nice to hear from another Garrett user .... I am situated about 33km sth west of Ballarat so I am in a pretty good location (or so I like to think ) to go hinting for the yella stuff.
I am intrigued that you are the only person so far to respond & I was beginning to doubt my choice of detector BUT hey not everyone has a cool lazy 10.7k just sitting around to buy the GPZ .... that said you mentioned 1/2 inch down .. did you mean 1/2 foot down ? ... I am really keen to hear from other Garrett ATX users to acquire more knowledge and apply those details into practice ...
OBTW Daz ... luv the avatar M8 !! ... I lived in Adelaide for 11 years & followed PA ( SANFL ) B4 they joined the AFL ... We are the POWER FROM PORT , its more than a sport, it's a true PORT ADELAIDE tradition ...GO POWER !!!!!

:cool:

yakuza61

So far I have only used mine on the beaches with success. Looking forward to the PA trip to WA next year.

hey guys, i am very happy with my atx as well, so quiet and stable, just need to walk over some gold i think instead of junk lol...as i said in previos posts i have hunted in a spot highly mineralised and gone over many times before over the years, and still dug targets which no one found before, theres gold out there and im gunna find it!!!
:lol:

Latest posts