Frustrating!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
Was checking bores with the new station owners last week and took them to where we have a capped bore a few hundred metres off the road where the road crews drop down a submersible pump when needed and we do likewise if we have to truck water in a wind drought.

Low and behold there were campers set up (6 people) around the bore and the cap was missing. After the introductions and small talk, the new owner reminded them politely of a few things which are covered under the Crown lands act.

They had an un muzzled dog running free, informed them we're baiting in the area and without a muzzle they were seriously risking the poor things life, plus you can't take a dog onto a pastoral lease without consent.

They must take all reasonable and practicable steps to notify pastoralists where they will be and for how long. Gent said "we tried ringing you but you didn't answer so we left a message". Cool trick considering we don't have and answering machine.

Next they were asking where can they go? I asked them how long had they been planning this trip (came from over east) and he said 6 months. Told him part of that 6 months worth of planning should involve research on where to go, permissions, 40E's, contacts etc etc.

Anyway, pointed out a few places to try and all good and off we go.

Back there today to drop a tape down the bore to get water depth and bore depth plus try and find the missing cap.
The weight on the tape makes a loud metallic clunk sound as it hits all the beer cans and what ever else was dropped down and now chokes the bore.
Can't find the bore cap and the nice recently graded track had open holes dug all up and down it.

On the bright side, they did clean up all the grader blade chips.

Can understand your frustration. You handled that with a lot of dignity and forbearance.

Most of us from the east are like that (I assume/hope).

We'll be in the general area (not on that station) and already have our 40e and will notify the pastoralist.

Yep Tuna , plenty of idiots around. I have had to tell a couple groups to move their camp away from a bore by a few hundred metres....so hundreds of thirsty cattle who were scarred off and waiting by the way...... could come in and drink!

Of course you never stop learning.....my tips of the week......make sure you don't set your swag up a couple metres from a camel track...and when a camel comes over the rise bellowing with a metre of froth and slobber hanging from its mouth, convince yourself the target you are digging is trash and beat a path to the nearest rock outcrop.

Hey Duck!

Had a bloke rip down a couple of panels off a yard plus the timber panels blocking off the bottom of a well and put them on top of the open concrete tank and pitch his tent on top.
50 head of cattle bellowing away 100 metres off too scared to come in for a drink.

Camels are thick on the ground this years and hanging around longer than usual, probably because they are calving. Made 42 fall over last week alone.
Dogs are in big numbers too, have had two good wet seasons in a row so everything has bred up.

Don't forget to pack your whipper snipper too!

Thanks Tuna, i'm hoping that a big late Cat 5 cyclone might clear away the shrubbery from the creeks.....only joking.
Last year we had a dingo jumping up and down at us and pig rooting at us only a metre away from our chairs and our sausages on the fire. He really thought we would flee! A well aimed rock called his bluff....but he was crumbing around every inch of the camp later on at about 3am as they do.

Frustrating is mildly put MT. Can't believe you don't have the ability/authority to send them on their way.
And those morons make it harder for the rest of us.

Hope things improve for you :Y:

On a side note, did the camels fall over whilst you were flying past them in the chopper? :D :D

RedDirtDigger said:
Thanks Tuna, i'm hoping that a big late Cat 5 cyclone might clear away the shrubbery from the creeks.....only joking.
Last year we had a dingo jumping up and down at us and pig rooting at us only a metre away from our chairs and our sausages on the fire. He really thought we would flee! A well aimed rock called his bluff....but he was crumbing around every inch of the camp later on at about 3am as they do.

No need for the cyclone, that 600mm of rain we had since mid Jan has scoured out the creeks and done some brilliant erosion in the washes. I was on my hands and knees picking up sunbakers in one the other day, got 15 little .2's to 1/2gr's in one spot about 5 foot long!

I love the Dingos, more curious than anything but the wild dogs are a bit of a worry.

Northeast said:
Frustrating is mildly put MT. Can't believe you don't have the ability/authority to send them on their way.
And those morons make it harder for the rest of us.

Hope things improve for you :Y:

On a side note, did the camels fall over whilst you were flying past them in the chopper? :D :D

Hi mate we actually do have the authority and if really needed the local plod have been quick to act. But I try to stress we are a prospector friendly station and would rather try and educate and get along than get all huffy and puffy.

And yep a few morons are ruining it for us all, I know a few things the Pastoralist and Mining companies are pushing for and will probably get within the next couple of years thanks to the morons.

As for the camels, not this lot, all fell over while flying around them in my Toyota.

Hi RB, we didn't even ask them to leave. Said they could stay there, just be mindful of the pooch, stay off tracks if they're wet and take their rubbish with them (was about 2 cartons worth of beer can piled up). Rather than take the rubbish they dumped it down the bore.

Often get asked what to pack when planning an extended camping trip, one important thing many forget to pack is "a space". They pack their car with so much crap (1/2 of which doesn't get used) they forget to pack a space to put stuff like rubbish.

Good enough to cart it around full !, good enough to take it home empty when it can be crushed small and light !! ,
You should take note of every number plate and i reckon taking a few photos as you leave their camp will keep them honest and have the number plates .
Then when you find cans in the bore a quick phone call to Mick Taylor and she be apples .

Tie me kangaroo down sport , tie me kanga roo down
A flyin kangarooo eherherher

Get ya self one of these mate ,
1492296097_images-26.jpg

You will be surprised how quick they disappear.

That would be frustrating to say the least. When I was young we lived on 20k acres the amount of people who thought it was a free for all was astounding. We had so many shooters come on without permission it was ridiculous then there were the doggers running upto 8 dogs in the lambing paddock, talk about brain dead idiots. The shooters had their guns confiscated, cars searched revealed more than they were prepared to say they had. Some got pretty upset but when they were at the end of a loaded riffle they didn't have much of a choice. As for the doggers when they had their guns confiscated their dogs were shot on the spot. This was in the 70's and we were over an hour from the nearest cop shop, Dad even held 2 coppers at gun point one night and relieved them of their guns. The stupid thing about the coppers is they were from town where Dad handed in all the confiscated guns, talk about dumb.

We had real problems with pigs dogs cats rabbits and the usual roo infestation. The funny thing is if people asked and presented them selves as honest and decent Dad would show them around and offer advice on the best spots and times to have success.

Sounds like not much has changed.

Put out an abandoned camp fire today, storm on the horizon so winds were up and embers blowing everywhere :mad:

Hi MT,
Did you get any rain out of that lot? we got about 3mm.
Bloody caravans running around over here like demolishing derby, hope they all head back to town.
I think Huey has them bluffed.

Goldslave said:
Hi MT,
Did you get any rain out of that lot? we got about 3mm.
Bloody caravans running around over here like demolishing derby, hope they all head back to town.
I think Huey has them bluffed.

Probably half that but a bloody wicked light show!

Went into town today to visit friends staying in the van park, vans were high tailing it in while I was there, including 3 German back packers (blokes) heading across the middle all sleeping sitting up in a Falcon sedan. Didn't have a tent because they were told to watch Wolf Creek 1 and 2 and the Ivan Milat story and apparently it scared the frankfurts out of them.

You are dead right Tahradj, it is disrespect and ignorance.

Have lived on or had family on farms all my life and have come across many (mostly city folk) who feel it is fine to come onto farm land and camp, start fires, catch yabbies, shoot quail, spotlight for foxes, etc. And when you suggest to them that they provide their address so that you can come and do those things in their backyard they bluntly refuse and say "No way, that's different". It's not bloody different!! A person's land is a persons land - 1 acre, 1000 acres, 1 million acres - it's no different. Ask permission for access and activities or stay the f*(k off!!

I don't think I'd be as tolerant as Madtuna :|

And if these morons keep pissing him off by the time I actually get to WA we won't be allowed on his station :eek: :eek:

You'll be right NE.

It's actually crown land but covered by a pastoral lease. The pastoralist owns the infrastructure, the roads, fences, stock, water points etc and it costs him millions to get it and maintain it.

Unfortunately a few who pay $25 for a miners right think that gives them the right to do as they please. No it doesn't. With that miners right comes certain obligations and responsibilities...mainly common sense.

Now I know the pastoralists and mining companies are pushing to get rid of the 40E, making it you have to have written permission. They are pushing for greater penalties for doing the wrong thing and cancellations of miners rights if caught and confiscation of gear etc.

If I commit and offense in my car, I lose my license and my car might be impounded. That's the same sort of thing they are pushing for.

Most mining companies give permission but ask for you to fill in a report and hand it back when you leave, what did you find, where etc, that helps their exploration plus I think they can write it off as expenses. On average they get back 1 in 50

Latest posts