Former or still serving Defence Members?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All,

I have noticed a few times the mention of new or past defence members, So I thought I'd ask the question. Who from the forum is a former or still serving member of defence.

I was enlisted with the Army in the early 90's then recently just discharged from the RAAF. Army I was with Transport, RAAF I was SECPOL. My pop served in the Army late 1930's through the 1940's. He was my inspiration for joining.

I'd love to hear from other forum members that served or are serving, Id even love to hear from anyone that have siblings just joined or considering joining and might want some up to date information on anything defence related, recruiting or just general questions.

I am happy to provide an unbiased, professional and honest opinion/information relating to the forces.

Look forward to hearing back from anyone interested.

Lambi

3 RAR 1990 - 1992
5/7 RAR1993 - 2000
8/12 MDM REGT
SORAMD
School of Infantry
RMC
and still going

I now someone and he says that he can't talk or post to media about their defense life. So you shouldn't be asking you should know better being secpol. :(

Lambs73 said:
Hello All,

I have noticed a few times the mention of new or past defence members, So I thought I'd ask the question. Who from the forum is a former or still serving member of defence.

I was enlisted with the Army in the early 90's then recently just discharged from the RAAF. Army I was with Transport, RAAF I was SECPOL. My pop served in the Army late 1930's through the 1940's. He was my inspiration for joining.

I'd love to hear from other forum members that served or are serving, Id even love to hear from anyone that have siblings just joined or considering joining and might want some up to date information on anything defence related, recruiting or just general questions.

I am happy to provide an unbiased, professional and honest opinion/information relating to the forces.

Lambi

Hi there Lambs73

My eldest daughter (26) is in the Navy, graduated NEOC 48 at HMAS Creswell, currently Sub-Leuitenant, based at HMAS Watson in Sydney.

My youngest son (20) is in the Army Reserves and is going to join the army full-time in Infantry.

They are doing very well in there chosen careers. Both Mum and Dad are VERY proud of their achievements.

Cheers Monty

Rgmhot, those rules are in place to stop idiots getting on to social media and posting photos that bring discredit to the services and also talking about on going operational matters.

There is a difference to what this thread is about. A quick check of facebook reveals many many service related groups and threads that have active members of the ADF contributing.

As long as your friend is playing by the rules all should be well.

For those that served and are still serving, Thank You. To those who have not, Thanks for your ongoing support.

Cheers, Tone

rgmhot said:
I now someone and he says that he can't talk or post to media about their defense life. So you shouldn't be asking you should know better being secpol. :(

Hello rgmhot,

Sorry if the thread/question I have asked has offended you. I'm a little confused though as to what your referring. As a SECPOL member I know very well of the security requirements.

As you will see if you google the defence force, RAAF, Navy, Army they all have social media sites now, facebook sites, pictures, articles, updates, names, equipment all advertised well within security requirements. (Note names of members and their units are even shown) but you won't see operational components shown.
You can even go as far as downloading the defence force news papers for yourself to read. Air Force News, Army News and Navy news.

If you feel after you have researched these social media sites and news paper yourself and think that I'm still doing something wrong, then please PM me and we can discuss your concerns in more detail in private.

Regards

Lambi

Monty said:
Lambs73 said:
Hello All,

Lambi

Hi there Lambs73

My eldest daughter (26) is in the Navy, graduated NEOC 48 at HMAS Creswell, currently Sub-Leuitenant, based at HMAS Watson in Sydney.

My youngest son (20) is in the Army Reserves and is going to join the army full-time in Infantry.

They are doing very well in there chosen careers. Both Mum and Dad are VERY proud of their achievements.

Cheers Monty

Hello Monty,

Thanks for sharing. You should be very proud. I think its fantastic of anyone who shares in supporting the defence force, directly or indirectly.

I originally joined out of respect for my pop who served in the Army during the late 1930s and 1940s. I was lucky enough to have him watch me March out of recruits in the early 1990s before he passed away. I think it was the first time I ever seen him shed a tear.
He loved the Defence Force and was a tough old proud bugger.

I too love listening to our previous members share their stories.

Regards

Lambi

Royal Australian Navy 1975 - 2004 (Cold War warrior). My avatar shows my last ship (1994-1996) HMAS BRISBANE (DDG41) which is now an artificial reef off the Sunshine Coast.
Served in all three DDGs (all now long gone) from 1978 - 1996. But that was a lifetime ago, and now my biggest thrill is finding a bit of colour in my special private creek.

EDIT: Had posted a really good image of 3 x DDGs until I realised that I'd probably be infringing copyright ... so here's one of my own photos instead, of a real warship - USS New Jersey, taken in the South China Sea in 1986:
1400500285_img113.jpg

Hello mdv,

Great pic, thanks.
I have been considering if I should join the navy to complete the trifecta. Done Army and RAAF but my wife is a little bit hesitant. Only because she is RAAF now, so postings would be difficult.

I love subs but I'm getting a bit old for that.

I'd love to serve and at the moment it's looking like it's an option for me. Need to sort citizenship first.. If it's possible anyway.

103 MDM BTY 8/12 MDM REGT 1990 -93
5/7 RAR 1994
"A" Field battery 8/12 MDM REGT 1994-1995
School of Artillery 1996 -1997

Not Australian military but still served in a few 2 way rifle ranges. US Marine Corps 1985-93, Infantry (real Marine Corps). Thanks to all for giving back to their country. Best time of my life and will never forget my brothers, some here and some not.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

Thanks to everyone who has served, you have my respect.

I worked at Kapooka between 2009 to 2013 and got to meet a lot of great people.

4/19 th prince of Wales light horse regiment between 1986and 1990 .now 3rd luitenant mt taylor fire brigade cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts