Food /Water Complacently

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Imagine there is a problem with supply , cards stop working ' trucks stop delivery ' petrol stations have run out ' your water tap dries up & the grid is down etc '''''

Panic buying has stripped outlets , you check whats left at home only to be horrified at the small amount of actual food / water you have ! :(

Just wonder how many of you Have a months worth of supplies as backup

I've got about 6 weeks worth of both .

How about you ?

Jack .

Good question mate
1: Caravan has 100lt of water and food for about 3/4 weeks also with fridge running off solar power or generator
2: Turtle has 40lt of water and food for 2 weeks also with fridge running off solar power or generator and 40lt of diesel and 50lt of 98 for the generator
3: House has about 20lt of frozen water and maybe 2 weeks of food
all in all i could last about 7 weeks give or take

but yes that has made me think about what i need to keep on hand :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Interesting, I hadn't really thought deeply about reserves at home.
I have about 4wks of dried/canned/packet food in camp boxes at any time at home, that i occasionally use for meals, to refresh the box, & usually 2x 20L + 1x30L water ready to go, & a I have water purification tablets in the kit.
Im not a "Doomsday Prepper" so had never really given thought to what Id need if shiit went down.
Might give it more thought tho' !

Ha ha DD
I was gonna say there is a show on tv about this
Pretty bloody scarey if (when)it actually happens
6-7 weeks supply isnt very much really
But a damn sight better off than me
... and MOST others (the neighbours)

Since I got the camper conversion done I have been stocking up with Tins of corned beef and tins of soup and various tinned meats and fish and tins of baked beans etc, and I still have more to buy, When I go to Aldi/Lidl's I will be buying 24 cans of everything So I expect I will have at leased 6 months worth of food,

Power is not and issue as I have 1000w of solar ready to go and a Genny, plus I have 2 portable Lithium power packs and 3 x 115 Ah deep cycle batteries, Along with 4 12v inverters, I have got 6 or 7 jerry cans for fuel which should give me a fuel range of around 4250 k's

I have at leased 90 227gm cans of Butane for my Stove and Oven and 3 Gas Heaters and I got 2 15kg bottles of Camping Gas/Butane,

Plus I got my possibles kit which will cover most things in an emergency including 100m of Para Cord. :Y:

Ridge Runner said:
Since I got the camper conversion done I have been stocking up with Tins of corned beef and tins of soup and various tinned meats and fish and tins of baked beans etc, and I still have more to buy, When I go to Aldi/Lidl's I will be buying 24 cans of everything So I expect I will have at leased 6 months worth of food,

Power is not and issue as I have 1000w of solar ready to go and a Genny, plus I have 2 portable Lithium power packs and 3 x 115 Ah deep cycle batteries, Along with 4 12v inverters, I have got 6 or 7 jerry cans for fuel which should give me a fuel range of around 4250 k's

I have at leased 90 227gm cans of Butane for my Stove and Oven and 3 Gas Heaters and I got 2 15kg bottles of Camping Gas/Butane,

Plus I got my possibles kit which will cover most things in an emergency including 100m of Para Cord. :Y:

Your lucky to be living so far away from Smoky
Thats exactly what he would be after ;)

Sandta said:
Ridge Runner said:

Your lucky to be living so far away from Smoky
Thats exactly what he would be after ;)

Yeah I can believe that too lol.

He's welcome to come and stay if he feels the need to detect some 7000 year old sites, As are any of you folks,

The Guy who owns the land my house is on trusted me and give me access to and under ground Bunker that goes down about 40 feet or more below ground that also has access to the under ground Railway Tunnels, :cool: :Y:

The Access door to the Bunker is right behind the local Pub :lol: :lol: :lol: And when you go down the stairs the Bunker goes under the Pub and the Main Road and the Railway, :inlove: :inlove: Any One for a Party :playful: :playful:

Stans said:
I am off to Cooktown now for supplies already had over 500mm this year river was impassable for 5days hope no rain today so I can get back in

Maybe you should load the Tinnie on the roof rack just in case LOL. :Y:

Always have to have better than a month's supplies because our shopping is 500km down the road and then there's gold between here and there so if the weather is favorable we could get a bit distracted along the way :)

I guess it's no good having a house full of food if the house burns down or gets swept away in a flood.......

Caravan has 480w of solar plus 3x130 ah batteries.. plenty of ammo and the tools to use it in.back paddock the roo,s love , and ducks everywhere.
Saw and axe and a shed full of wood and 75000 litres in the tanks.
I might just survive.
Jim

Ded Driver said:
RR with all that butane stored, you would not want a fire hey!

Yeah but once the flames die down a bit I got plenty of snags so I think I'd be alright, LOL

seriously though, Ya right and I got them stored @ about 12*c even in the summer months, And I won't leave any in the Camper just to be safe, I have invested too much to loose it just like that Ay, :Y:

J.

How many are on medication for blood pressure or diabetes or a dicky heart etc?
Got enough of a supply of that?

Suppose if the faeces hits the spinny thing you could always pop down to the local chemist, disable the dude behind the counter with a well aimed can of baked beans then tie him up with your 100 metres of Paracord while you raid the shelves for more meds :Y:

I over pack food, water and fuel for travelling/camping. I think op is describing long term adjustment.

In a national crisis I wouldn't be in the same boat as a camping adventure.

Camping has opened some basic skills of getting by but still only on limited resources and time by the looks of it.

I don't think I could properly answer this scenario accept to say either turn ferrel or perish.

Dodging a country full of smokeys would probably be the biggest challenge.

Ridge Runner said:

Things would need to be pretty grim.

At least the mortgage would be one less thing to worry about.

Im sure the scenario put in the OP would either be not nearly as bad or much more devastating than quoted.

When I watch those Prepper shows I cant help but think those shows never really address pathogens and disease which would very rapidly become prevalent when the :poop: hits the fan.

But if it helps them sleep at night good luck to them, its only the children caught up in the centre of that paranoid state of their parents that annoys me.

OldGT said:
Ridge Runner said:

Things would need to be pretty grim.

At least the mortgage would be one less thing to worry about.

Im sure the scenario put in the OP would either be not nearly as bad or much more devastating than quoted.

When I watch those Prepper shows I cant help but think those shows never really address pathogens and disease which would very rapidly become prevalent when the :poop: hits the fan.

But if it helps them sleep at night good luck to them, its only the children caught up in the centre of that paranoid state of their parents that annoys me.

I'm not a Prepper I just like to go off camping or detecting when ever I think of it, I think a lot of preppers are nuts, I got the gear I have because my family are spread all over the Globe, But now I have this Van I can travel without being stuck for a place to spend the night,

I tried travelling for 6 months over here sleeping in nothing but a small car and that was murder and the winters can be brutal so now I am better organized where I have all the things I need and enough space in the Van to sleep eat and use the computer etc, :Y:

Latest posts