First Trip Out With The SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day Rick,

Cheers! Yeah, I couldn't agree more! Can't fault it on sensitivity and it'll still give impressive depth for an 8". If they bring something like this out again with say, a 14" round mono or something like a 15" x 12" it will be a bit of beast.

Good luck out there! Sounds like your SDC is also treating you well :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Syndyne said:
G'day Rick,

Cheers! Yeah, I couldn't agree more! Can't fault it on sensitivity and it'll still give impressive depth for an 8". If they bring something like this out again with say, a 14" round mono or something like a 15" x 12" it will be a bit of beast.

Good luck out there! Sounds like your SDC is also treating you well :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Gidday Shauno,

Yes, 82 nuggets for 22 grams so far in just 4 weeks, so I'm not complaining ! :) 1/4 paid for already ! :)

Cheers,
Rick

Hi Roscoe,

Cheers! It was certainly a great trip. Preparing for the next one already.

Hard to beat being outdoors with friends and family, not to mention the peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of suburbia.

Hope all is well :)

Shauno.

Great haul I'm watching result on SDC and this was great. Question:with so many other finds lead shot etc do you know if the gpx5000 could discriminate and save all that digging. Regards phantom

The GPX5000 can't discriminate out lead, brass, aluminium etc. - non ferrous metals. It does however have an iron reject function but will only work with DD coils.
Unfortunately PI machines with a mono coil are pretty much dig everything. The Whites TDI does have some abilities to discriminate iron with a mono though.

Phantom said:
Great haul I'm watching result on SDC and this was great. Question:with so many other finds lead shot etc do you know if the gpx5000 could discriminate and save all that digging. Regards phantom

Cheers Phantom!

Oh boy, lead discrimination is certainly a dream of mine! :)

mbasko hit the nail on the head there though. All the non-ferrous metals of similar shape and size can sound roughly the same in the finish.

Every now and then you can easily identify a bit of rusty junk, bottle top, aluminum foil or pull tab on the surface. Best to remove those and dig everything as they can mask targets.
We found a nice little nugget that went 0.3gm right next to an overload tone from a piece of inch long by quarter inch wide rusty iron. I heard the target initially before reaching the overloading junk mere inches away and figured the rusty junk was all scattered about. The nugget offered a sweeter signal right before I hit the overload from the iron and it was only sitting at four inches depth. I actually found it first, then dug the rusty iron junk out right next to it. A great lesson learned!

All the best,
Shauno.

This is very helpful from real users as one day I need to decide on a machine. Everything I see about the SDC is positive for how I imagine I would use a detector, except the fixed 8 " coil and I hope buy time I decide they may fix a few of the ergonomic issues with arm rest and headphones etc. Sadly I'm sure the price will remain the same.
Regards Phantom

Hi to everyone, I am only new to all this and all the above is very helpful.
I am about to buy a machine and was looking at a good 2nd hand GPX4500 but after reading so much about the sdc2300 I am now confused to which way to go.
We are 65 plus years and need something we can handle weight wise and not to complicated.
Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Kent

G'day lucky five,
The trouble with 4500/5000 is they pic up pretty deep targets,which is good for some,but digging deep holes can be a bit hectic at 65(maybe)a lot of people I have met swear by the older model 2200 ( one for sale on here for $1850 ,bargain just the out her day),as for the SDC 2300 well sounds to be good unit nothing but big hype about this newbie......

Only my opinion mate ,but yeah deep targets,hard work.but if you dig up some gold,well it is sure worth it,

Varts.... ;)

luckyfive said:
was looking at a good 2nd hand GPX4500 but after reading so much about the sdc2300 I am now confused to which way to go.

Tough decision ..... if you have detecting experience then possibly go the 4500 if you can find a well pedigreed one.
If you have little or no experience then I would probably settle for the SDC .... it's basically switch on and go, it really is that simple .... BUT regardless of which machine you end up with you still have to walk over the gold to claim it, no detector regardless of how good it's reputed to be can change that fact.

I use both the SD C and a 4800 (couldn't find a used 4500 I was happy to buy) ..... have found 4 bits with the SDC over 6 weeks, still learning the ropes on the 4800.
You won't get bored with the SDC, plenty of targets even though over 1 in 20 to 50 may be 'trash'.
Good luck regardless of which way you go.
Cheers Tom

Thanks Tom and Varts, if we get down to 30cm then we will have about had it so some really good advice there and also could save us some dollars. We would only be using it for about a week at a time and probably 4 times a year. Sounds like the SDC is the way to go on the newer machines. In the older machines would a 2200 be better for us than a 3500?
I was using a cheaper machine (NOT MINELAB) and all I got was noise everywhere, it seemed to just go off at everything no matter how I changed the setting and turned the sensitivity and discrimination down. Tried it at Hill End common and a number of other places so we are fed up with a machine that doesn't work reasonabley well. Just about turned us off the detecting so your help here is just great and thanks for giving a bit of your time.
Cheers Kent

If all you are doing is a few weeks a year and just want to find a few nuggets then the SDC is the perfect detector for you, lighter and much easier to use than a GPX and you can use it pretty much anywhere with regards to EMI.

luckyfive said:
We would only be using it for about a week at a time and probably 4 times a year. Sounds like the SDC is the way to go on the newer machines. In the older machines would a 2200 be better for us than a 3500?
Any of the older machines will still punch down deep meaning some deep holes will be dug. Many regard the SD2200 as the top deep punching machine. If you were to get an older machine I would go after an SD2200 that has had a ground tracking button fitted. The GP3500 was the first model to have a ground tracking button fitted stock & is a good detector too. If I were to get an older machine again, even though I do have a soft spot for the SD2200, I would get a GP3500 with a light lithium battery set up.
For the amount of time you would be detecting & for ease of use the SDC2300 would be ideal. It is an expensive option though for not a lot of usage.
Keep in mind it may still be heavy for you if using for long periods of time so a harness & bungy cord may be required. Also a Black Al cover with straps is a good idea to protect it & keep the arm cuff open. These are an extra cost but with the harness you may be able to haggle on a package deal or even get one thrown in?
If getting a SDC2300 I would ensure you get the newer ones that should now have headphones with a longer lead. The short lead on the headphones is a pain but usable.

Perhaps hiring is an option? 4 weeks a year would be a very small outlay compared to outright buying and gives you the option of different machines. This may be problematic if not near the dealers that hire them but just a suggestion.

Today I finished making a Bungy setup for the SDC to take care of the weight issue.

It uses the GPX replacement parts kit and is attach to my hydration pack.

1409883057_image.jpg

Heaps to think about mbasko and some great advice, thanks so much for your help. I will look out for an sdc2300 and get the accessories you have suggested.
Thanks Wally69 that seems to be the way to go to get the weight problem sorted.
If anyone sees a sdc2300 at the right price please let me know. Would be good to have all the bungie, speakers etc.
thanks again Luckyfive

I was following your trip to Hill End Wally69 and this has also made me prefer the sdc2300, looks like it will suit us better than the more complicated heavier machines.
May get to catch up next time you are there.
Regards Luckyfive.

Hi all
Have been playing with my SDC2300, just bought it recently, have about 7 hours out with it lol. Ease of use is great, amount of crap that you dig is bad though.Armrest issue is a pain too. Will try some surfaced areas tommorow for a giggle :). Based around the Rushworth/Whroo area would like to know if there were any areas that would be good to go over, please pm me if you have cooords :) :p
Thanks all, fantastic info on this site

Latest posts