First Trip Out With The SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
G'day all,

Well the old man and I have just returned from the trip out into the wilds of Central West NSW once again and are happy to report that the SDC2300 has done well, despite a couple minor hiccups. I think I'm at a total of 215hrs now on the SDC as we detected for a full thirty five days out of thirty eight (three days of for horrid cold, wet weather). We had gold every day, bar one where I was just wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble on a new bit of ground.

It was great to meet up and swing the new SDC's with a couple of good friends and fellow forum members Heatho, mbasko and Steveo1. We all found gold which was the best part and great to see! mbasko won us over with his nice bit though :D

The very first morning out with the SDC it was freezing cold and showery so, without any real plans Dad and I just wandered about near some of the old patches and the very first target we had was a tiny piece of gold. We were both a bit stunned as we'd gone a few weeks on the 5000 for 1.24gm (first bit coming after ten full days swinging). I only operated with the speaker for the first week as I wanted Dad to hear what I was hearing. This wasn't ideal as it was pretty windy and I knew I would be missing those super subtle targets where the threshold would only just waver. I soon switched over to the headphones and cleaned up the bits I missed previous. This is when I realised the headphone cable was too short and it actually pulled right out of the connector in week two as I leaned forward and ran the scoop over the coil to retrieve a target. After a quick email, Minelab rang me and sent me out a new set immediately. From that point I simply unplugged them to retrieve every target using the speaker. That made it more comfortable to dig also. Needless to say, I'm very much liking the idea of Nenad's new adapter cable ;)

The amount of bird shot (2mm-ish lead shot) we found was mind blowing. We averaged between 30 and 50 every day. Best day was 22 and the worst was 96 small lead shot. Lucky they are only shallow and quick to dig. I'll post a pic of those tomorrow when they dry as they got covered in dirt over the weeks so I gave them a quick rinse. I would estimate we had dug somewhere in the vicinity of 1200 lead shot. Many we didn't even keep in the finish, but were disposed of thoughtfully.

Dad managed to pick up five little nugs? bits? flakes? specks? pickers? (what do you call gold that small? Hahaha!) in total which really put a smile on my face! Even at 77yrs he can easily operate the SDC and manage to find gold. He was more than happy to just pick it up and go for a wander when I was on break... AKA pick, water pack and scoop carrying detail. :p

We found the tiny pieces hard to locate in the beginning, particularly those that are only specks of dust basically. You soon work out how to locate them more thoroughly using the coil in time. We never lost one as the machine would always hear it okay once it was anywhere near the coil. We used the round bottom scoop made by Fiskars (from Bunnings) and I said that next trip we need a flat bottom scoop to keep the targets closer to the coil and make retrieval a bit easier.

Best target depth for the trip was an old half corroded shotgun primer at 15inches depth. It was a nice mellow tone at the surface and I was certain that an ounce of the yellow was about to show itself! Not to be that time, but a great indicator of performance in rough conditions, extreme EMI, hot ground etc.

Enough of the stories, on with the best part- the pics!

Our total bits from the first patch with mbasko, Steveo1 and Heatho.
1409037810_patch_2_5c.jpg

The weight of those below:
1409037972_patch_2.jpg

Dad and I then went out with Steveo1 onto a new area and picked up these bits over two weeks. Some nice little Ironstone speci's amongst them! Largest bit we picked up here came in at 0.75gm. It was at 7 inches depth.
1409038229_patch_1_5c.jpg

The weight of those below:
1409038270_patch_1.jpg

Total numbers are 184 bits for 25.36gm over 35 days.

We couldn't have ever expected to see so many bits of gold show up in our wildest dreams! Sharing the time and gold with my Dad, Heatho, mbasko and Steveo1 is something I'll never forget. We're already looking forward to the next trip out.

*We definitely need to drag you out along with us next trip Lbg! :)

Will post a little more over the coming days.
Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Edit: for spelling.

Its difficult to disagree with the mopping up ability of this little machine.
Well done boys. Great story and awsum pics Shauno.
Two thumbs up from this side.
Cheers
Chris

An awesome effort mate! It's an absolute pleasure to catch up with yourself & your old man + seeing ya's enjoying the time down this way.
Will be looking forward to your next trip & hopefully by then I'll have a few more hours up on the SDC to give you & Steveo1 a run for ya money (or gold) :lol:
Once again top effort mate - a good reward for the effort you put in. (I've gotta start remembering to pack the rake) :D

Well done team. If you are going for a spot where small gold is king then the SDC is the weapon of choice.
Gee I know some spots at Tiboo where the SDC could pay for itself with some effort
cheers RDD

Well done Shauno, the SDC is a game changer that's for sure. If Minelab would like to send me one for free I certainly wouldn't say no :lol:

Cheers guys! I'll follow up with a few of the minor bits and pieces missing from the info.

Reeks said:
Well done Shauno. Very nice tally!
Did you try your 5000 against any of the signals?

G'day Reeko,

I did get the opportunity to do so now and again. Just going over the patches for a look deeper. I ran the 11" Commander Mono and the 7x14 NF Mono in Fine Gold, but even running the 8x6 Sadie I couldn't really hear the small lead bird shot that I had picked up with the SDC unless I rubbed it on the coil. I was carefully going over the ground I had done with the SDC. Couldn't hear a peep anywhere and all I dug was the odd signal from that stubborn hot ground and one or two of the larger lead shot (4-5mm) and the odd air rifle pellet. EMI was a real killer where we were swinging too.

Hope all is well! Looking forward to seeing your next nuggets come out with the SD! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Well done shauno. Get that caravan really thinking about going back to tibooburra very soon. :cool:

Goes to show the sdc is in a class of its own in the harder to work ground.
Great determination detecting all those days in a row mate. Nugs everyday would of helped ;)

Got the baby waterproof 6" coiltek and a bargain Minelab super goldsearch 8" mono just recently so hopefully some narghetts aren't too far away.

Cheers
Reeko

Great stuff mate
And 35 days swinging is no easy task
But you and your dad and crew did well :)
Bloody chemo and catching
Everything going round
Kept me away :(
But chemo is finished finally after 2 gruelling years
Even though I've still been poking about
For a lot less hrs for more gold lol
Only been working smarter as the body
Doesn't want to play flatten 2 batteries before stopping
ATM
Was disappointed I couldn't get out and catch up
But no excuses next time :)

Lbg dreamer said:
Great stuff mate
And 35 days swinging is no easy task
But you and your dad and crew did well :)
Bloody chemo and catching
Everything going round
Kept me away :(
But chemo is finished finally after 2 gruelling years
Even though I've still been poking about
For a lot less hrs for more gold lol
Only been working smarter as the body
Doesn't want to play flatten 2 batteries before stopping
ATM
Was disappointed I couldn't get out and catch up
But no excuses next time :)

G'day Lbg,

Cheers for the kind words!

Yep, main thing is that your heath is good first off! Hope it's improving for you.
We'll definitely have to get a good swing in together very soon. Weather is improving from now on anyhow.
Can't wait to see how you go with the SDC in hand. :D

All the best,
Shauno

Here's the small selection of targets the SDC pulled between gold. The amount of lead bird shot out there is just mind blowing! There's absolutely no real discerning difference between the signal responses of lead or gold. We had the one sun-baker nugget (0.30gm) and a couple shallow (only an inch or less in depth) large flat flakes of gold completely overload the SDC just like a pull tab or an old rusty bottle top, yet saying that, one of my biggest water-worn pieces (0.68gm) found at four inches depth in wet clays after the rain was just a loud "whippy" response -similar to the 1/4 inch lead shot set pretty shallow.

It was easy to see the gold on the surface once pinpointed close with the coil and blowing the dust and small rocks away carefully -particularly in the areas we were raking. Grass or weedy growth can make that a bit tougher so it pays to give everything a good look before walking away. There were small gold flakes at the surface sitting there stuck in the grass roots that had that metallic warble sound, not dissimilar to that of scattered Aluminum foil. The old adage of 'dig everything' really applies. :)

We had a bit of a joke going that if the GPX5000 is known as the "Hoover" of detectors, then the SDC2300 should be known as the "Dyson" of detectors. Definitely no loss of suction on those tiny bits! Hahaha! :D

1409103660_junk_photo_2014.jpg

The corroded shotgun primer (top right) was my deepest target for the trip recovered right at 15 inches depth.

In the first few days out on the second patch we ran into couple of old time prospecting brothers. They worked right next to us with 5000's for about four days. They had worked that area for twenty years with every new good detector released -stemming right back to the old SD days in 1994 when they cleaned up about an ounce from the area. They told us with certainty that it would be very hard to find good gold there today. They ended up pulling ten small bits total over the week they detected in the area, and I wouldn't even hesitate to guess that they got those with an SDC in the finish as they had one on board, but they were yet to use it. They were really great blokes to talk to! I only wish I could've showed them the half ounce we went on to get from there.

Looking very much forward to seeing what the next GPX has in store -and that's if Minelab even continue down that line or stay with the SDC-type compact machine? A combination of the best of both worlds would definitely make for an interesting time.

Cheers and kindest regards,
Shauno.

Bloody well done Shauno,
It would seem that the SDC2300 is knocking up some pretty impressive results all over the joint.
I know mine is !
Cheers,
Rick

Latest posts