First gold with the SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice finds, how deep were they? It is encouraging that you got some bigger pieces as I am yet to break the gram barrier with mine.

I would be inclined to keep working that ground, raking might give up some more as an extra half inch closer to the ground seems to help ID subgram bits.

A fiskars scoop speeds up the extraction process for me, shaking the fine gold/shot to the bottom gives a clearer tone for quicker extraction, but I still tend to loose the small ones at times. Round gold or lead shot tends to fall through my fingers at times and has generated some explicit words at times. :mad:

Hi Wally69, the 0.07gm piece came from a layer of clayey alluvial wash directly under a sandstone overhang in a position difficult to reach with other detectors. It was about 4cm into the clay layer.
The 0.87gm was 7cm into the side of the same wash layer. Both initially gave a faint but positive sounding signal.
The third was at a depth of 10cm in a layer of quartz gravel sitting on a ledge on the side of a dry gully.
I had just dug out two pieces of lead from the same spot and scanning the area again with the Sdc got a third very similar sounding signal. I was very pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be gold which weighed in at 1.38gms.
And to Fabos, it's only a matter of time before your Sdc finds gold. Try detecting spots that are difficult to access with other machines and listen carefully for those faint signals. Good luck mate!

I use a Fiskars scoop with all machines bar the 2300.
I found once I changed to the wider, shallower scoop it became much easier.
The riffles really help on those small pieces.

1417384306_scoop.jpg

R&R in 3 more days :D . looking forward to getting out again.

Oh and the wet season has arrived in the Kimberley :eek: can hardly hear anything for the rain on the roof

Coyote said:
R&R in 3 more days :D . looking forward to getting out again.

Oh and the wet season has arrived in the Kimberley :eek: can hardly hear anything for the rain on the roof

Sounds like that waterproof detector might come in handy?

Latest posts