Sdc2300 target depths

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Fairly new to gold detecting and I'm using a sdc2300. Went out today for some testing, using a .27 gram nugget and only started to get a slight signal at 6.5cm depth. Wondering what any other sdc user has had luck with with smaller gold at depths more than 7cm.
Also wondering if anyone could shine some light on the 10x5 inch gold extreme coils.
Cheers.

Hi all,
Fairly new to gold detecting and I'm using a sdc2300. Went out today for some testing, using a .27 gram nugget and only started to get a slight signal at 6.5cm depth. Wondering what any other sdc user has had luck with with smaller gold at depths more than 7cm.
Also wondering if anyone could shine some light on the 10x5 inch gold extreme coils.
Cheers.

Hi Dirt diver, We've owned three SDC2300's over many years and it's my opinion that the SDC's detection depth varies greatly depending on the type of soil surrounding the target. If you take it to the beach in non-mineralised soil it will reach amazing depths but in some highly mineralized soil you can almost push a nugget across the surface of the ground with barely any detection at all. In most cases it's a very effective gold detector but I find it unreliable due to its auto-adjustment to the conditions. My wife still uses the SDC almost exclusively and finds a lot of very small gold.

I agree with money box but i call the 2300 the vacuum cleaner great to find gold in a new area if it shallow and small great indication that there's gold in the area ,the bring in the big guns, so to speak some days u think it goes great depth then other days not so good, but all about the right weather and dirt

0.25 is a small nugget and without knowing it’s shape, the soil or the detector settings, and your hearing capabilities if not using a headphone, you may be hard put to find another detector to do even that under the same conditions you tested.
Many detector/coil combinations would miss it entirely and that is the reason why it has been so successful in picking up so many of those small nuggets missed by other detectors prior to its release.
The top few inches of goldfield soils are full of vast numbers of gold particles from microscopic size through to .1gr nuggets that my 23 easily picks up at depths of just a few inches.
If I ever needed any convincing about the strengths of the 23, it was on our last trip west. Both using 23s we found one broad area that produced 120 tiny nuggets for just over 6 grams total in one days detecting for us (80 for me 40 for my wife). That is an average size of just 0.05grams. I had been to that same area on an earlier trip and found only a few bits with my then 4500.

Latest posts