First gold with the SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Cliff
Reaction score
Went to Laanecoorie last week and spent some time in an area that I would say was fair flogged out. Still managed to find 2 very small pieces.

1417003903_eddington-20141118-00893.jpg

1417003941_baringhup-20141119-00895.jpg

0.041g has me more then impressed and I'm still trying to learn how to use it.

I'm impressed too by the toddler mate, good sensitivity - well done

Just picked up an SDC for Sandra's birthday. Tried it on a public beach in Hawaii and was shocked to find there's no volume control. Couldn't shut it up so had to return at night when it was raining so there were only a dozen or so people around. I think it's unacceptable to spend $4000 on a machine that relies on sound to work but the sound cannot be adjusted. :mad:

When i received my F1A4M2 I found that it only had headphones due to the speaker being removed from the casing to provide room for the "pots" switches etc. to be mounted. So i purchased an external amp to plug into the 1/4" headphone jack and all was ok.
Jaros

I like using old ham radios etc. therefore i prefer the build quality of older electronic devices such as F1A4M2's. I find if you treat a tool with respect and care it not only lasts longer, you really get a feel for it.
I find my wife's Iphone4 becoming a bit sloppy in the keypad, but she has habit of squeezing and pressing the guts out of the machine whilst using it. I don't think she'll progress to the breakable new Iphone.
Jaros :p

joe said:
I'll swap you my ATX , that's got volume control mate.

I've got the ATX Joe and believe me, it's a lot nicer machine to use. If you fit the 8" mono it feels much lighter and certainly better balanced than the SDC. To be fair we've not had and time to get the SDC sorted out and we're only just getting used to the ATX but on the beach the annoying noise from the SDC was continuous while the SDC worked away silently until it hit a target.

Moneybox said:
joe said:

I've got the ATX Joe and believe me, it's a lot nicer machine to use. If you fit the 8" mono it feels much lighter and certainly better balanced than the SDC. To be fair we've not had and time to get the SDC sorted out and we're only just getting used to the ATX but on the beach the annoying noise from the SDC was continuous while the SDC worked away silently until it hit a target.

Have you read the instructions? The noise is meant to be there, it's the threshold tone. The perfect spot to have the threshold set is at the 3rd little LED so it is a smooth tone with no wobbles. The threshold is the constant reference tone which will change in volume and pitch if a target is underneath. You will also need to do a noise cancel in cities and built up areas. Use the headphones and no one else will hear it.

The SDC and ATX are totally different machines, the ATX does not have a threshold tone and only beeps when a target is present, Minelab Gold detectors work a totally different way.

Hope that helps.

Heatho said:
Moneybox said:
joe said:

Have you read the instructions? The noise is meant to be there, it's the threshold tone. The perfect spot to have the threshold set is at the 3rd little LED so it is a smooth tone with no wobbles. The threshold is the constant reference tone which will change in volume and pitch if a target is underneath. You will also need to do a noise cancel in cities and built up areas. Use the headphones and no one else will hear it.

The SDC and ATX are totally different machines, the ATX does not have a threshold tone and only beeps when a target is present, Minelab Gold detectors work a totally different way.

Hope that helps.
1417150154_atx.jpg

Heatho said:
Joe, every vid I've seen with the ATX there was no constant threshold tone, can you run it with a constant tone?

You mean the non-motion mode (which has constant tone) over taget?

Or do you mean set the threshold to have constant hearable tone? Yes you can

Ahh ok, no worries. How do you run yours mate, with a constant threshold or silent? Every vid I've seen it running silent. Would probably make more sense to run a constant threshold like the Minelabs maybe??

Heatho said:
Ahh ok, no worries. How do you run yours mate, with a constant threshold or silent? Every vid I've seen it running silent. Would probably make more sense to run a constant threshold like the Minelabs maybe??
I ran the SD2000 on a fine line of just hearing the tone, (so I know what you're referring to) you can set the threshold similar with the atx but it could result in missing a small target as it could get lost within the constant tone youre referring to therefore run silent and increase the volume on the target re-bounce.

The ATX book says to have a very faint tone, that's about 8 with my hearing. I prefer to drop it to 7 so it is totally silent then I find it much easier to hear slight signals.

We need more time with the SDC away from the salt to see what it can do. I did a frequency scan and ground balance but it was still chirping away on Salt 1 and minimum threshold.

Yes we would be better off with the yet to be unpacked head phones but it's a new toy so we both wanted to play. ;)

Hi all, after reading all the positive feedback on the Sdc2300 on this and other forums, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy one last month. Two weekends ago, going over ground that I had worked with my other detectors, I found three pieces of Au, weighing in at 0.87gms, 0.07gms and 1.38gms.
Took me a while to recover the small piece, but persistence finally paid off.
1417218706_rps20141129_075047.jpg

Latest posts