Exercising panning and digging forearm pain away tip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday yall! Thought I'd share this one with you as my arms are beginning to hurt again after mad efforts of digging and panning on those excited days we have. I'd told a mate I was getting sore arms a few months back and he showed me this great gadget called a 'Power Ball' which he used to prevent 'arm pump' riding his motorbike flatout cross country. After a quick go, ( it does take a minute to get used to..or a couple .. as its odd gyroscopic movements feel a bit odd, but you 'go against the force' ) I can certainly say that it does not take long to notice its doing its job.

It will strengthen and prepare your forearms and some other body areas ( refer to youtube vids ) before a dig and only a minute or two it takes to warm up those arms to prevent tendon popping or muscle cramps. Also great for warming down the muscles after digging / panning.

I'd highly reccomend to anyone with forearm issues during or after prospecting activities to try one out. Theres all different models and price ranges for everyone. Mines a cheap-o from china $12, which is working perfectly still. They also come in with some built in games or counters if you like for 2 player or more scenarios and are a great toy for anyone who hasn't seen them yet regardless and it unintentionally strengthens your arms no matter what age. I'd reccomend watching a few youtube vids to make sure it does suit you and doesn't create further damage ( refer to your doctor? ) but I know many who have used it for physio as well. My mother even bought one to help try and loosen carpet tunnel.

1445915615_14459147203180.jpg

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzEPxemxu_E[/video]

Heatho said:
Hmmmm I did my back in really badly digging for Sapphs the other week, still can hardly walk...... :( It pays to warm up and know your limits.
Hmmm.. I know your pain heatho. Being 6.5" the grounds a lot further down for me ;) and I've had a few lower back pops which left me crawling at creek edge. Just gotta keep it strong and find solutions to minimize back problems. Its why I use the strap on my shovel now. Helps a hell of a lot : https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13343

Schooners are a must preparing the arm. Not too sure what to do about the back or hamstrings? Maybe case or keg carrying. Damn now I gotta drink more.

If you would like to see how to pan the easy way without straining your arm, watch D'arcy Cooper videos. I have been using his technique especially with the large pan and it makes really easy on your arms. He is slow and steady and sort of floats the pan on the surface of the water. It works really well and you can pan for hours without fatigue.
YouTube is an amazing resource, isn't it? :)

Beagleboy said:
If you would like to see how to pan the easy way without straining your arm, watch D'arcy Cooper videos. I have been using his technique especially with the large pan and it makes really easy on your arms. He is slow and steady and sort of floats the pan on the surface of the water. It works really well and you can pan for hours without fatigue.
YouTube is an amazing resource, isn't it? :)
Nothing wrong with a heavy pan beagle ;)

Latest posts