If your NEW to detecting Or just need a revitalisation Then read this!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakman

Marcus
Reaction score
I want to tell you about Mr Graham and Joy Ashton. They run the Dunolly Motel www.dunollygoldentrianglemotel.com.au, ( 03 54681166) and Graham does Gold detector training for those enthusiasts who need that little bit of professional guidance. He teaches all the well known detectors Just name your brand.

I have personally been involved with professional training and self development programmes for more than well over 25 + year and I pride myself in being a very good judge in human nature so when my 85 Yrs old father and I met Graham and Joy Ashton who run the Motel at Dunolly Victoria it was very obvious that these two people were warm hearted and passionate about sharing their years of Gold detecting experience.

We had a cup of tea then dad and I followed Graham to a Gold detecting site where he spent the first about 40 minute explaining the do-es and dont of detecting, which covered so much practical information from; digging technics, Mobile phones blowing up due to detector pulses, to losing your car keys plus why and what types of GPSs you should consider so not to get lost in the bush.

After this he explained how to read the land for signs of prospecting,( in great detail ) Graham is a fund of knowledge and without hesitation he shares everything he knows so to guide you into success.

As I had just purchased a White GMT detector, he presented us with printed documents explaining his personal setup instructions (for a GMT) specific for the Victoria soil quality, then set up a range of test samples covering, iron, gold lead etc with varied depth, this really helped to fine tune our detector setting even further.

This particular detecting area has a mineshaft at the top of the hill and mulick heaps running East and West, each side of the mineshaft.

So we slowly detected up the hill with Graham explaining every sound and allowed us to re tune the detector as the ground balance changed. We discovered a wide range of odd materials (no gold but heaps of learning).

Graham shared many personal experiences and continued to teach us about old mining principles and where to best look for gold. The information he shared was really wonderful. All based on maximising our personal growth through practical instructions for our success after this day was over.

We then proceeded down the hill and had lunch.

As Ive mentioned previously I am going to purchase a GPX 4500 so after lunch; Graham introduced us to the White TDI pulse detector and then the GPX 5000 where he explained in detail the operation setting and principles.

After working through a range of test samples at varied depth, we proceeded to detect over a new section of ground with the GPX.

Graham once again explained ever variation of sounds and reviewed my digging technics.

This was the very best confidence building training session I could have possible asked for plus to find such an experienced person willing to share so much was amazing. If your new to detecting or need a revitalisation then I would definitely suggest you contact these two wonderful people and take Grahams programme.

He is very very reasonable and totally focused on sharing the pure joy of Gold hunting much more than making money for his lesson.

Thank you Graham and Joy, you guys have assisted my passion for the hunt.

Your Friend the Zakman .
Marcus

Thanks for that insight into the Dunolly gents.
Actually meant to ask about them after one of your very early posts where you mentioned (from memory) Graham
Have been thinking of doing a day session with the mob from Bendigo, not cheap at around $380 (full day, instruction, detector hire and lunch with some local searching thrown in - bit cheaper with your own detector).
Have put it off so far, only into sluicing & panning at the moment but intend to get a decent MD on retirement (soon).
Happy hunting, Tom

Hey Tee,
Im confident you will be very satisfied with Grahams Course, he hires detectors as well and has all the main models.

As you know cost is relative to value for money but in this case you get both great price and great value for money. Enjoy.

Regards ZAK

That sounds great Zak, I've just purchased a 5000, and would like to get some good knowledge on the settings ,ground types and procedures for detecting .
Does Graham train on w/ends. :p

I Believe ha goes out when ever he can, training or not . Just call him up and have a chat.

Zakman

Yes Kinkgsolomon.

Just one of those things I had to get off my Bucket list. If you go there you don't want to take the discount package.

That one you stay as the meal:)
:eek:

Thanks for the info. We didn't realise they did training. Will have to look them up next time we are down that way.

Latest posts