Erlistoun Station - Laverton W.A.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are already here Miss Goodness....a station up the road shot over 2500 in one month

Yep...but a lot more on there way...

2500 is still a lot tho...

Really don't no what they are going to do about this big mob coming across right now tho...

Hope your keeping well Mr Madtuna...

Miss Goodness :)

Steve is a true gentleman....

He would never hurt anyone..

He is a gentle bloke...

Might give you a mouthful if you do the wrong thing...

But come to Camel's... Dingoes... Wild dogs.....look out...you have picked the wrong person to mess with...

Goody :)

madtuna said:
Hi mate, I volunteer info often...because I want to and I don't mind. What stings though are the ones who expect it and some almost demand it.
They couldn't give a stuff about you 11 months of the year but come thier planned holiday all of a sudden they are your best friend. Once the holiday is over they couldn't give a stuff about you again.

As for the mines bloke, I left him after a while so I'm not sure how many he got but we spoke to a few while I was with him.

People still aren't getting the message about bringing dogs though which is worrying, so my appologies if some find the following images confronting.

Can you spot the trap?

https://i.imgur.com/zPrwrM2.jpg

Your dog won't either....but he'll find it and he'll die inside 15 minutes

https://i.imgur.com/ywyV7gW.jpg

Can you spot the bait? Your dog will.

https://i.imgur.com/0HUqUuz.jpg

Probably should show these people who bring their dogs on a video of a dog that has taken a bait. Might make them think twice. I can spot the bait and trap also but most people would not know how to spot a bait or trap. To be honest though I do ask my self if I would spot it in the bush

goody2shoes said:
Steve is a true gentleman....

He would never hurt anyone..

He is a gentle bloke...

Might give you a mouthful if you do the wrong thing...

But come to Camel's... Dingoes... Wild dogs.....look out...you have picked the wrong person to mess with...

Goody :)
You left out wickedly handsome too :/ seems a lot of people are doing this and it has me buggered why?

Nightjar said:
Steve, We have not seen an emu for years, have they all been eradicated?
On the flat 20 km north of Menzies we named it "Emu flats" because of the amount of emus we used to see every trip when heading to Leonora?
Hi NJ... if I don't see 20 emus a day I'm not looking hard enough. Lat years and this years birth rates might drop a bit due to the drought though.

shakergt said:
madtuna said:
Hi mate, I volunteer info often...because I want to and I don't mind. What stings though are the ones who expect it and some almost demand it.
They couldn't give a stuff about you 11 months of the year but come thier planned holiday all of a sudden they are your best friend. Once the holiday is over they couldn't give a stuff about you again.

As for the mines bloke, I left him after a while so I'm not sure how many he got but we spoke to a few while I was with him.

People still aren't getting the message about bringing dogs though which is worrying, so my appologies if some find the following images confronting.

Can you spot the trap?

https://i.imgur.com/zPrwrM2.jpg

Your dog won't either....but he'll find it and he'll die inside 15 minutes

https://i.imgur.com/ywyV7gW.jpg

Can you spot the bait? Your dog will.

https://i.imgur.com/0HUqUuz.jpg

Probably should show these people who bring their dogs on a video of a dog that has taken a bait. Might make them think twice. I can spot the bait and trap also but most people would not know how to spot a bait or trap. To be honest though I do ask my self if I would spot it in the bush

Better eyes than me mate...I can't see them and I buried them

Steve, You've been doing long enough to know what you're doing, so this advice not intended for you. :D
Met a German fella on Kimberley Downs Station who had fled Germany with his wife after WW2. His wife kept going after reaching Australia and he went bush and became a dogger. Sat for a few hours under a tree at Oobagooma Outcamp listening to his stories. One story was if a dingo escaped from a trap you would never catch him again!
He covered his boots and hands with rotten meat smell when setting traps, don't believe you need to go to this extent or you won't have any visitors. :lol:
The only income this fella got was the dingo bounty, he visited station homesteads who supplied him with his food and fuel for the old Austin Champ he was driving.
Surprising how you never forget some people you meet out in the bush. Has crossed my mind whether he passed and was never found in the vast Kimberley outback.

Hi NJ,
that's true, placement and setting of the trap is critical as you'll create a trap shy dog if it goes wrong and you'll never get him and probably not any other dog at that marking spot.

Any handling of traps and even the tools used with the traps is done with latex surgical gloves on. The traps are boiled then waxed with scent free wax.

I don't rub my boots with rotten meat but if there's a cow turd near by I'll tread in that.

As for the bounty, I'm for and against it. The pocket money would be handy but then also a lot of people wouldn't bait and then you'd get a massive population explosion.

First time we met Steve two years ago we had a 40e another forum member O...had orginised on Erlistoun.
Steve met us in Laverton and drove us out to the spot and and even helped us find a good place to camp.
He also came out and showed us a few places to prospect..one where the digger found a few small peices with the 2300.

One morning we came across this big mob of camels and later that afternoon when Steve came out again to visit we drove out to the same area again.
1559437919_8238213d-f57a-4cda-8d99-afe484e567a3.jpg

Steve and O in Steves land rover and me and the digger following behind them in the Prado .. :)
Thats a memory I wont forget ..when Steve spotted those camels he was off at a good clip after them he got a few shots off and downed a couple.
I think O was in total shock and more than a little upset .. :8

Me and the digger were pretty happy, as we dined on camel steaks for the next few meals. :perfect:

1559438529_183d4b97-8c8d-4de7-abd7-86b7e674268a.jpg

I think between the three of us the digger found a couple of grams and I found a couple of small pieces thanks to Steve..
And O found bugger all ..
8.(
Still it was a great adventure ..

Latest posts