Eldorado / Beechworth area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day AG Man, It's Big Andy in the pic above, is this the reason the old site is so quiet?

Hey mate - long time no see!
Uhm, yeah, you will find a lot of familiar names & faces here :D

Glad you found this place - Welcome aboard!

Ag Man said:
Hey mate - long time no see!
Uhm, yeah, you will find a lot of familiar names & faces here :D

Glad you found this place - Welcome aboard!

Cheers AG, looking forward to snooping around this place.

TenOunce Tone said:
Thats a nice show of colour there Ag. Got to be happy with that

Yeah I was happy with that Tone - many thanks though to i8work though... as it was his HB I did borrow for a few hours there - nice little machine!

Yep we have spent a lot of time there over summers good gold found most of the creek from Eldorado to the falls

gold all along the creek but sometimes you will have to dig down. Creek turns into a raging river when in full flood and this redeposits a lot of the gold. Ive seen quite a few highbankers down from the crossing at kangaroo hill. Plenty of camping along there. Probably best to do some test pans before u set up camp . If there are any holes from previous diggers then trying those might save u a bit of time especially if the golds down a bit. What sort of vehicle u driving. I'll probably be down that way after Christmas.
Cheers Dave

G'Day All

Thanks for the tips. I am looking forward to exploring and having a go. I will be driving a red Jeep grand Cherokee and staying at a little cottage on the main road in Eldorado (home based Manager/Accountant wants to have a proper bath in the evenings - I don't know what is wrong with a dunk in the creek). I also look forward to meeting anyone from here who drops buy. Having a red vehicle I am easy to spot and too hard to hide.

I have a little battery powered high banker but figure that there will be a lot of test panning before I can find a decent spot to work - that is in between obligatory trips to cheese factories and wineries etc. As a diamond geologist I am also on the look out for some of the famous Eldorado diamonds. I know that they are few and far between but they have some very unusual characteristics that some of my colleages in the game are very interested in.

Araluen

Hey phil,

You'll find that you'll get a better response by being a little more specific in what you're asking.

Unfortunately I don't know the area but if you do a topic title search for "beechworth" you'll get quite a few hits.

Hopefully someone who knows the area will be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Nugget

never prospected it. normally live on reedy creek up that way, tried a few little offshoots from reedy and the long weekend just gone I finally went and had a poke around 3 mile creek.

a mate of mine did have a poke around it once before, it was at one of the road bridges where it goes under the road, not sure which one though as it does cross the road in a few places. he didn't do well enough to pass up the places we've been hot on reedy for.

thanks guys ive heard its coarser gold saying that ive also heard its harder to find than reedy creek just seeking info before i waste money trying it thanks

So I went to ballarat yesterday me quickly decided to go see eldorado as I won't have a chance for a whole.

Two things I need to know though!

Firstly is there powered camping sites anywhere near there

Second - I'm going for gold, be what else should I be looking for?

Thanks

Tom

P.s I'm 30 mins away so quick info is highly appreciated lol

No power is in a national park but eldorado caravan park can accommodate, not sure about Beechworth end. Gems - garnets ruby diamonds but hey don't let that get your hopes too high, still got to find them, remember the Hoffman effort? Nuff said.

Anyone know if there is still flow?
I'll probably put the banker and sluice in anyways and try for some gems.
Be handy if it was moving but being so dry I'm guessing it's a trickle or stagnant.

Need to get away from the mad world for a day.

Latest posts