Drake, Tooloom, Tabulam Region NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dwt said:
what did ya do to ya finger Luke95 :eek:
I was not being respectful enough to my knife and he bit me.. three in the top on in the tendon.. lesson learned.

Wow thanks for the advise I'll give him a call in the next week or so. I have seen the sign it's the one that makes me sing the song in my head and tells me it's not far to go now after driving from nerang.. lol

Hey Alfie. Suggest you get a copy of Forgotten Country: The Story of the Upper Clarence Gold Fields by Isabel Wilkinson. The Grafton Historical society should be able to get a copy for you. Very interesting reading on the area.

Well I'm off on my first day trip over the border into NSW with my new fossicking permit, can't wait. Think I will try around Urbenville / Tooloom area to start with its only about a 2h 30m drive from where I am. Will post some Photos later of my trip. Been doing some research and it's the closest spot just over the border that has a history of gold in the rivers and creeks. Would appreciate any local knowledge on the areas if anyone can suggest some spots to investigate? :D

Hi

I grew up in kyogle :) , spent many years for dirt bike riding around the area. Alway here'd of gold in them there hills but I was to worried about fishing for bass then digging holes ( what an idiot)
Anyway.
Not a little older I'm armed with a AT gold and am keen to go for a swing around that area :) anyone been around there lately ?? Anyone detected the state forest area ?
I'm located on the gold coast now.

Please help me find my first .g of the yella stuff. :)

Tim

Hi all,i was wondering if any members could help out.i am planning a 2 week trip from ipswich to armidale and i have 10 kids with me(not all mine.lol).so we are looking at staying in girard state forest for 2 days fossicking.has anyone stayed/fossicked there?can i use a highbanker in state forest?.i have 3 highbankers, 15 gold pans,classifiers and metal detector.all the kids are keen fossickers/prospectors.the next generation to this wonderful hobbie i guess.any info help would be greatly appreiciated.thanks

Theres a campsite along the Timbarra river .
Just follow long gully rd untill you reach rocky river rd do a right and keep an eye out for on the left for site.
Im presuming you go and see the land owner up the hill the site is inbetween his cattle grates.
The scenery is magic.

Sounds like a nice spot,is long gully 4wd only?i have a 4x4 toyta.we will be trying out rocky river at both ends and in the middle.i mentioned state forests as i have a state wide permit to fossick state forests also.we will be stopping near glen innes,mann river,uralla,and most state forests in between.also looking for swimming holes to stop in for a break as it will be from 26 december to the 9 jan,so i guess it will be hot.thanks again

2wd is fine and you're right beneath the timbarra gold mine in Malara state forest .
There's a locked gate one end and fire trail in from river haven't beenn game to have a crack at that yet.

May see you out there, will also be in the area highbanking over Jan, good chunk down that way. Sounds more like a raiding party than a fossicking trip, enjoy.

Thanks guys i can't wait to get there.kids are going to be a handful ,i don't know how much time i will have to relax on the trip.But we will have a great time buy the looks of it.There is some great looking country through the area.With all the research and photo's we have looked at,it seems more like it's going to be a historical/geology field trip lol.

Hi ausniper

Just wondering how you went at Timbarra river near Drake.

I am a newbie to this site (Just signed up) but visited Drake every Easter for holidays (Uncles and Aunts used to live there)

Haven't been for years but have fond memories of Rocky River.

Just wondering if that land owner was approachable for camping?

Were the old chinese dams still there along Rocky River?

Thanks

Mick

Hi mick it rained heavily for 4 days of the trip.we only spent a few hours there drove a fair way along the river .fly poo specks from one end to the other .rocky river gold is fine stuff .we ended up driving through to bathurst ,goulburn areas to escape the rain.

We are looking to try fossicking for Gold or gems in the Drake region. We also would like to camp in the region. Can anyone point us in the right direction of public fossicking areas etc. Cheers

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

Head out to Warwick and go to Glendons Camping ground. Its a good base to have for that area. From there you can explore Glendons 1100 acres or go to the three main fossicking areas just near there.

222 Glendon Road
Thane, Queensland, Australia
(07) 4667 4756
Open 7:00am - 9:00pm
http://www.glendoncamping.com.au/

If you can contact Bruce Bertram he does the training and tours of the goldfields for Glendons, well worth contacting as he has all the local knowledge and he can hire and teach you to use equipment like metal detectors, high bankers and gold pans. His number is 0423-659-001.

Here are the details of the fossicking areas near there:

http://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/south-east/

• Thanes Creek[/*]
  • Talgai[/*]
  • Duraki[/*]

Hope this helps. :D

Cheers,

Grant

Latest posts