Discrimination ????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
nucopia said:
I have no choice but to dig every thing because the cheap eBay MD I have doesn't give me very many options to do other wise.
So, if it makes a noise I dig..

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5588/1438489640_image.jpg

Well that should work it has the right Buttons, you just need to set it up right,

John

Yep Ridge Runner, thats the problem not knowing how to set it up properly.
A mate from Stuart Town showed me how to do ground discrimination but little else ..at least now I dont get a signal when I raise then lower it towards the ground any more or when it skims over wet grass ! Like it was the first time I tried using it.
We dug a lot of holes to find out the coil was just signaling it was near the ground.
i have experimented with differnt settings to see what it can do , but if I eliminate bottle caps ring pulls etc I also cant pick up a 20c coin on top of the grass.
I got what I paid for at $62 and I am having fun along the way.

Ok,

1) Turn it On and set the Sensitivity/Gain at around 6 or 7,

2) Ground balance the Machine,

3) Now Lay the machine Down,

4) Set the DISC to All Metal,

Now get your self a Rusty Nail

5) Wave the Rusty Nail in front of the Coil and turn The DISC up until either the Machine No Longer makes a sound on the Nail or it Makes A Low Tone and that is where you always want to set leave the Disc set at, now just turn up you gain but only turn it up as far as it will go and if it runs Rough then Back it off to where it runs smooth,

6) and Always leave the Volume Flat out, Ok

Good Luck, John

Maybe have a practice at home with some air tests on different items. Air tests are not the same as a coin 10 cm down in the soil but may give you some ideas.
Check this video on the Aldi special. It's only a cheap machine but you can see as he turns the discrim up it eliminates some items.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/dJX8ricN9nc[/video]

Ridge Runner said:
Ok,

1) Turn it On and set the Sensitivity/Gain at around 6 or 7,

2) Ground balance the Machine,

3) Now Lay the machine Down,

4) Set the DISC to All Metal,

Now get your self a Rusty Nail

5) Wave the Rusty Nail in front of the Coil and turn The DISC up until either the Machine No Longer makes a sound on the Nail or it Makes A Low Tone and that is where you always want to set leave the Disc set at, now just turn up you gain but only turn it up as far as it will go and if it runs Rough then Back it off to where it runs smooth,

6) and Always leave the Volume Flat out, Ok

Good Luck, John

Thanks John
i will try this now and let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Ramjet said:
Maybe have a practice at home with some air tests on different items. Air tests are not the same as a coin 10 cm down in the soil but may give you some ideas.
Check this video on the Aldi special. It's only a cheap machine but you can see as he turns the discrim up it eliminates some items.

That's a lot of machine for the money, I wouldn't mind one to keep behind the seat in the Truck

Thanks for posting it,, John

Ramjet said:

Thanks Ramjet
Soing exactly that now.. Just not sure if Im doing it right i.e as Ridge Runner suggests .
Will try and post a video to let you both see what Im doing.

I think the best way to cut out most of the disruptions is to use your sensitivity setting kind of like a depth gauge and this has made me so much better/happier when shooting coins.
With my XTERRA 705 If you are in a park you can't dig deep so it is of no use to me to know what is any deeper than say 6cm below the surface.
if you turn your sensitivity up to say 25 out of 30 in the places I go (footy fields parks) you are seeing every coin Sized target down to about 25cm deep straight under your coil there could be hi mineralised iron soil bottom then an old piece of tin then half way to the surface might be an old pull tab then more dirt then a coin then the surface, 4 target id's trying to display at once and you walk off thinking its trash cause you couldn't get a solid id.
Now if I set my sensitivity to 10 out of 30 on the 705 I'm only getting say 13cm deep witch is still plenty and you just got rid of the iron and the tin and now you only have to deal with the coin and the pull tab.
Now if I turn my sensitivity down to say 3 out of 30 I only pick up the coin..
If I don't have lots of time or I'm being lazy I will leave it on 3 maybe 5 out of 30 and pic all the coins off the surface or just in the roots of the grass.
if the park isn't to old or is highly worked you will only get the recent coins anyway..
So only set it up for as deep as you are willing to dig.

nucopia said:
Ramjet said:

Thanks Ramjet
Soing exactly that now.. Just not sure if Im doing it right i.e as Ridge Runner suggests .
Will try and post a video to let you both see what Im doing.
Awesome budget or light weight machine

Ridge Runner
Thanks tried your suggestions and these are the settings that removed the rusty nail.
Bottle cap and coin still register.
1438495048_image.jpg

Here is a video of the results. Compare bottle cap , rusty nail , 20c coin.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/TYPJJ9FqJJ8[/video]

Next task watch Ranjets video !!!!
Thanks guys :)

I would be out today but need to take it easy for a few days as I slipped a disk in my back a few weeks back and some days are good other days are pain killers rest and frustration....As Ned said such is life..

Latest posts