Discrimination ????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by Ramjets post about digging trash .
I often wonder about all these detectors with all their notch discrimination etc .
I think people get too caught up in it all and pay WAY TOO MUCH for it !
Want to cut out bottle tops ?? Lose the Goldies then .
Want to cut out pull tabs ,, lose the gold rings then and some lesser coins !
I think people need to learn to swing over the target from different angles to get a true number ,,, and learn to accept that you HAVE to dig junk to get the goodies .
Really listen to the tones rather than read the ID numbers and you will get a better understanding of your machine .
I use a FORS Gold machine and it only has a blanket discrimination which I use to cut out nails etc , yet by "listening" , I can usually name the target before I get it out of the ground.
Just some food for thought :cool:

I inspired somebody??? 8)

I posted this in another topic today.

"If you discriminate out trash, you discriminate out treasure.
I know we have different detectors but they work on the same principal. On the At pro a 53 can be a pull tab, 10 cents or a gold ring. 61-63 is old school ring pulls or 20 cents. $1 and $2 coins are in the 76-78 range, half pennies and pennies from 76-81 or higher. Guess where bottle caps ring up....76-81."

With this bit... "On the At pro a 53 can be a pull tab, 10 cents or a gold ring". Basically if I want to find gold rings I'll be digging a lot of pull tabs.

There was a good discussion on this a little while ago between Rocket, Paulmarr and Heatho. Maybe another member too. I'll try find it and post a link.

Went for a hunt with Wally69 today and we dug mostly goldies, sure there were quite a few screw caps and and bits of can and stuff but we both did quite well (about $35 each over say 2 hours) on a sectoin of oval I pulled $110 out of a few weeks back with my aldi, these were what the aldi missed and there are still coins left.

We were both commenting on how good our detectors are on the discrimination as this spot was filled with junk and only about 50mx5m in size. Wally has a 705 and I the CTX. I was singling out goldies among the junk and so could the 705

The way I detect junk filled areas is by layer, I'll take all the good and strong sounding targets first, stuff you know is goldies and silver, then go for junkier target I.D's next that are still solid signals then go for deeper target that don't signal very strong. I regularly revisit spots and always pull more good targets.

The target ID on the CTX is good but not perfect. The target ID on the aldi sux so you have to discrim by listening only. There is nothing wrong with either way of detecting, I'm still getting used to the CTX but it takes a lot of listening and visully checking target ID's to get the best out of it. CTX has already pinged over $200 in goldies, numerous silver coins and a large opal ring since I bought it 10 days ago.

I don't cut out bottletops or pulltabs, sometimes leave them for another day but always get some in my bucket.

For me it depends on the area...

I did a park the other day that does not get used much, but also subject to flooding. Has had some sort of fill on it...

Bucket loads of chewed ally .... Some part must have been a dump as lots of broken glass, iron and OVERLOAD. Many great hits at 12.39 and still at about 12"from the ground = can.

So heavy discrimination and a smaller coil... 60 min later not even a $1 worth of spendables, but I covered a good area.

I dig everything except iron ... If we didn't im sure we would have missed some of these ...

1C9B2876-7BCB-4352-8D48-8EC665184A9A_zpsciy1zhko.jpg

A9F3B6C1-040F-4B33-93FA-945CDC103C7F_zpsczw33ejd.jpg

And for the new players that was our first 12 months of finds as new dectorists ... The more junk we dug the luckier we got!

;)

Sweet Paul.
I definitely dig more after that convo you guys had. But my local park for example has people camp there for music festivals and such. That add literaly hundreds of bottle tops every year and that's just one weekend.

The ploughed field look is not good dosnt matter how well your method of retreval is
Paul in reading were these beach or park finds good looking collection there mate
As the great Crackbadger of you tube fame says you can have a pretty good idea what's there but horseshit if you can tell all the time
many times have been caught out with faint crap reading signals but a change of direction or scraping a layer of sand away has changed
The signal responce to positive or confirmed rubbish but its not always correct but have dug small rings showing coins or foil on the ace

Paulmarr said:
I dig everything except iron ... If we didn't im sure we would have missed some of these ...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/paulmarr/1C9B2876-7BCB-4352-8D48-8EC665184A9A_zpsciy1zhko.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/paulmarr/A9F3B6C1-040F-4B33-93FA-945CDC103C7F_zpsczw33ejd.jpg

And for the new players that was our first 12 months of finds as new dectorists ... The more junk we dug the luckier we got!

;)

Last gold ring I got with the Aldi I thought was a pulltab, was just about the last target of the day and I almost didn't dig it, glad I did.

The great thing about our hobby is the various types of detecting available. We are beach looters which is somewhat different to park detecting but then again many of the same challenges are shared by both.

As your maturity in detecting develops you will decide to choose certain items to target over "everything". When you start the goldies show you money can be found ... But once you get a taste of something more attractive to you, you don't get the same thrill when you find a dollar coin instead of a Florin. Then after you can find silver consistently you move on to something more challenging like jewelry, artefacts or gold nuggets. Or coins might be the bees knees for you.

No matter what you end up targeting - you can't be sure 100% of the time that the pull tab you think you are detecting isn't a ring or something you are chasing so until you know your detector like the back of your hand I trust my eyes before my ears and it has paid off many times.

The other must dos I have learned is location location location and hours spent is directly proportional to lucky days.

Depends how old the penny is for me. ;)

Like you mentioned Paul, rather than take the world on in one day, I'd much rather single out a particular target and concentrate my efforts on that. It's one thing to concentrate on high conductivity targets all the time, and then try to get your ear in on listening to those lower to mid range gold targets - it can a while to get used to. Unfortunately my brain loses interest in looking for gold targets in parks after pulling the umpteenth pull tab, a much different case on the beach where not a hell of a lot of modern rubbish is sitting amongst those sinkers and rings.

With regards to discrimination, unless an area is completely unworkable due to a ridiculous amount of iron or junk, I generally run the Etrac with no discrimination (open screen), and rely mainly on the tones. Whilst ID's are a good guide, too often they are influenced by depth, orientation in the ground and by other nearby junk, especially when hitting on those deeper targets. In such circumstances, a good deep target for me can be nothing more than a semi repeatable warble of a high tone, and that's generally enough to warrant further investigation.

Running with no discrimination can be intimidating at first, but once get your ear in on whatever tones you are targeting, it will become second nature. Though keep in mind a lot of the areas I detect have few or no modern coins, sparsely spread junk targets and reasonably deep older targets, so many of the good tones tend to be either coins or older non ferrous gear.

If targeting more modern finds in areas that typically have a lot of non-ferrous junk, discrimination can be a good thing, especially with a detector that has good recovery speeds. In that scenario I prefer to use a detector like the Teknetics G2, set with the discrimination reasonably high, and scour the area for modern coinage. It seems to be particularly good at pulling out goldies from the junk, and achieves very stable ID's on shallow to mid depth coins. Though ultimately it lacks the depth capability to hit the deeper coins that the Etrac will still get good tones on.

That was the case last weekend when the G2 wouldn't even signal on an 1875 hp that was clearly picked up by the Etrac (G2 was on full sensitivity). In that situation I had the missus gridding up an area with the G2 set up to discriminate out most of the usual non-ferrous junk ( we were targeting mainly high conductor pre-decimals). She would pick out all of the shallower targets, and I would then follow behind her and pick up on any iffy or deeper targets using an open screen on the Etrac.

Unfortunately my partner would soon lose interest in detecting if she had to investigate every pull tab, foil target or ring pull, so a decent amount of discrimination was preferred in such circumstances. Not even mention of finding a good piece of gold jewellery was enough to persuade her after digging multiple pull tabs. :lol:

So I think discrimination does still have its place, though usage of it will often be dictated by the site, and also depending on which detector used. Ultimately use whatever works for you, no single set up will suit everyone across the board. :)

I never raise the disc above small rusty nails because if you do if the ground drags down the VDIs you could loose fine gold and platinum rings When I found 3 lots of gold jewellery in one sweep one ring had a Platinum cap with 5 diamonds and it Only came up between 0 to 4 on the VDI so setting the disc at -5 gives you a bit more Lea Way.

john

Being new to detecting I am running all metal on my 705. I am literally digging nearly everything. Loads of time spent digging up trash but it really helps the learning curve.

In amongst the trash I have found a florin and about half dozen three pence and a silver ring. In about 6 hours and All on the beach hard against the bank.

Sure I spend a stupid amount of time on my knees but I don't want to miss something due to inexperience.

So for now discrimination is not being used and I am finding some cool stuff as well as learning. And I'll never need to buy another sinker ever again.

In all honesty I dig less spendables than pre-decimal in my first little spot. still yet to find a 2 dollar coin? It's not from lack of digging targets though.

Cheers all

clegy said:
Being new to detecting I am running all metal on my 705. I am literally digging nearly everything. Loads of time spent digging up trash but it really helps the learning curve.

In amongst the trash I have found a florin and about half dozen three pence and a silver ring. In about 6 hours and All on the beach hard against the bank.

Sure I spend a stupid amount of time on my knees but I don't want to miss something due to inexperience.

So for now discrimination is not being used and I am finding some cool stuff as well as learning. And I'll never need to buy another sinker ever again.

In all honesty I dig less spendables than pre-decimal in my first little spot. still yet to find a 2 dollar coin? It's not from lack of digging targets though.

Cheers all

Ya doing the right thing clegy. If you don't dig everything when you start out how can you learn what the treasure sounds like.

Latest posts