Detecting Durikai

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Detecting Durikai Thanes area .................. worth the trip ? Best place for camping local to the area ;)

If you are looking at free camping , there is a nice area behind the Karara Hotel

As Jaros mentioned Glendons is good & there is gold on the property , they will give you a mud map !

All good :Y: ................. the free camping is great but a bit hesitant to leave gear there as I believe the area has a bit of a history for pilfering :eek:

I have not had a problem at Karara, van or swag..... We use the place often. $6 or $8,,,, (well something like that) a night per person gets you hot showers. power if you get in early :)..
Glendon Caravan Park is ok, but when its dry the dust is bad due to all the bike etc and noise through the day..... is a little pricey too..
We are heading out that way easter... ;)

I am staying at Glendon this week-end and detecting in various parts of Durikai.

Glendon is good (just). A cabin with no ensuite ... no water, no cutlery, no crockery, no linen will set you back $70 per night. Camping is $17 per night (single) for powered site.

Amenity blocks are open to all stayers and are good but as a regular here, they could do with a clean out in the showers. Havent had a scrub out in months !!!

A big MUST if you come out here...bring plenty of drinking water and water to wash up.

There is NO potable (drinkable) water at Glendon. The dam water is OK but must be boiled.

I havent stayed at Karara behind the pub...others say it's great and cheap/
cheers Mike

Thanks for the feedback and heads up :Y: Mike be interested to see how you went ?
Cheers :Y:

Hope to be at durakai on Thursday and Friday if the showers stay away. Will be staying at karara Thursday nite. You might have to come help me carry out the big one mike :D

Hey Stevo and Bogger.

Had a shocker this week-end...went well off the beaten track and was detecting with a new friend who was using a Minelab Gold Monster with 5 inch coil. He cleaned up with 4 good bits coming in a 5.5 grams.

I was using the SDC and got ZIP.

Worst part was...he found a signal with the Monster..asked to run my SDC over it...no signal for me...he got the signal again and dug it up and a half gram nuggie!!

When that half grammer was out of the ground my SDC then got the signal loud and clear. Not much fun if the SDC only hears stuff on the surface.

SDC beaten by a Monster for a tiny bit...not sure what's going on. Ive found subgrammers with my SDC and it gets small bird shot and micro wire along with all the other rubbish.

Cant make it next weekend Steve so best wishes. Bring home the big one !! :)

Cheers mike. I will pack the goldbug2 as well but will be swinging the 4500 just keeping fingers crossed that it stays clear. Strange about the sdc not picking up that signal maybe it needs new spark plugs ;)

Thanks Mike ................. as for the Monster finds against the SDC, I wouldn't be to concerned as I think it's just a case of once again, no one detector does it all. :/

I know a couple of old gunnies that detect FNQ and they use a gold bug to do the sniffing .................... and they have every current Minelab machine available. They have the experience and the results so I don't question what they are doing :D

MikeB05 said:
Hey Stevo and Bogger.

Had a shocker this week-end...went well off the beaten track and was detecting with a new friend who was using a Minelab Gold Monster with 5 inch coil. He cleaned up with 4 good bits coming in a 5.5 grams.

I was using the SDC and got ZIP.

Worst part was...he found a signal with the Monster..asked to run my SDC over it...no signal for me...he got the signal again and dug it up and a half gram nuggie!!

When that half grammer was out of the ground my SDC then got the signal loud and clear. Not much fun if the SDC only hears stuff on the surface.

SDC beaten by a Monster for a tiny bit...not sure what's going on. Ive found subgrammers with my SDC and it gets small bird shot and micro wire along with all the other rubbish.

Cant make it next weekend Steve so best wishes. Bring home the big one !! :)

I guess this might become a VLF vs PI kinda thing.
It is always good to have both, and if the ground permits, a VLF can do wonders....but a GM beating a SDC would have me a bit concerned too.
I wouldn't be happy either...not sure what is going on, but I gather you played around and tried a few different things.
Maybe it could be the type of gold...or EMI on the day could of dumbed down the SDC.
I did notice when I had one, that on some days it seemed to perform a lot better than on other days. I thought it was just me at the time.

5.5g is nothing to snuff at. Sounds like your mate has his GM tuned in great

Well done

Hi Rick,
The gold my mate was getting was quite rough (not round and beaten smooth from movement)and a little porous. Three nugs at a gram or better and the little half gram bit that my SDC ignored.

I am wondering if the continuous auto ground balance on the SDC might cancel out some targets????

I found birdshot today and tiny bits of fine wire along with a military blank round.... but it's got me stumped why it would not react to a half grammer siting in the top inch of dirt with bits of quarts either side of it.

Anyway, I am pretty impressed with the GM and I really like its graphic display and discrimination capability.
cheers
Mike

MikeB05 said:
Hi Rick,
The gold my mate was getting was quite rough (not round and beaten smooth from movement)and a little porous. Three nugs at a gram or better and the little half gram bit that my SDC ignored.

I am wondering if the continuous auto ground balance on the SDC might cancel out some targets????

I found birdshot today and tiny bits of fine wire along with a military blank round.... but it's got me stumped why it would not react to a half grammer siting in the top inch of dirt with bits of quarts either side of it.

Anyway, I am pretty impressed with the GM and I really like its graphic display and discrimination capability.
cheers
Mike

Yes with the Auto Ground Balance balancing out targets. Can happen. I found that scanning back over different area and then going back again the target can come back. One of the pay offs with having a Turn on and Go machine. But I guarantee there would be heaps of situations where the SDC will pick up targets that the GM cant see.

Pays to cover all bases I guess.

Oh. Did you try doing another noise cancel and ground balance and retesting target?

Would of been interesting to see if the Equinox would of picked it up, probably would if the GM did. But nothing is guaranteed thing.

Bogger said:
Thanks Mike ................. as for the Monster finds against the SDC, I wouldn't be to concerned as I think it's just a case of once again, no one detector does it all. :/

I know a couple of old gunnies that detect FNQ and they use a gold bug to do the sniffing .................... and they have every current Minelab machine available. They have the experience and the results so I don't question what they are doing :D
I agree. Ive had a fair bit of success with the goldbug2. Not a lot of depth but doesnt miss much :p
1521373938_optimized-20180217_140112-1-1.jpg

This one was a couple weeks ago
Sorry for straying a bit off topic

Tribsa 56 said:
Bogger said:

I agree. Ive had a fair bit of success with the goldbug2. Not a lot of depth but doesnt miss much :p
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../1521373938_optimized-20180217_140112-1-1.jpg
This one was a couple weeks ago
Sorry for straying a bit off topic
Nice bit Tribsa
I Thought you must of got that at the pit. :Y: :Y: :D

Latest posts