Cutting stones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twapster said:
Heatho we may be out at Stuart Town soon........where u at?

Hey mate, might be able to meet up out there, hit me up with the dates and I'll try. I've got some lung rehab coming up, initial appointment is on the 22nd and rehab starts the following week, 2 or 3 days a week for 3 months...... :(

I'm bloody keen for a swing though.

Sorry to ask this on your thread Pawny but i was wonder if anyone knows it you can polish already cut sapphires. I got some back from Lamberts but when i had a close look at them they still had heaps of grind marks all over them and when i got a jeweller friend to look at them he said they needed polishing.

Its a lot of work willo1 but it can be done. It is basically like reciting the stone again but with a bit less loss - only worth doing for bigger stones though. I have re-cut a lot of stuff that was cut overseas Thailand, India. They do it cheap but you end up paying one way or another. :(
Most of their cutting is fish eye, and a basic step cut (no critical angle) on the pavilion and the girdles not polished at all. I believe it is worth getting you stuff cut here in Australia and paying that little bit extra.
I believe that in more cases that most overseas cutting actually devalues the stone.
Sorry, I dont want to offend anyone here but I have seen a lot of bad cutting for a dollar or two per ct. :rolleyes:

Yeah have to agree SS. My friend at the jewellers said that the pavilion was not right as well. These are the first stones i had found and had cut. I was hoping to have them made into rings for the wife and daughter. I suppose they will just have ro wait until i find some more and get them cut properly. They ended up being around 1.6cts each after they were cut. Learn from our mistakes i guess... :rolleyes:

It is amazing what a little knowledge can do, I now appreciate the difference between a cut stone and a precision cut and polished stone thanks to Rough2Cut.

Just pulled my first completed stone off the machine after about a total of about 20+ hours of learning how it should be done, learning by mistake, learning to rectify mistakes and learning to identify where to improve.

I must say my appreciation of the stone cutting talent on this forum has skyrocketed. :eek: :cool:

Just need a couple of hundred more hours practice and to learn how to take photos of completed stones.....darn thing keeps shining back at me...possibly a good sign that I eventually did something right. :lol: :D :lol:

1455104552_image.jpg

Well doesn't matter.
They must have been 4-5 ct before cutting. Still nice for sapphires. Keep getting them and if you get stuck for cutting let me know.
:)

Thanks Stan will do. Heading out to Oberon at the end of the month. Hopefully i will find a couple of replacements...... :lol:

willo1 said:
Yeah have to agree SS. My friend at the jewellers said that the pavilion was not right as well. These are the first stones i had found and had cut. I was hoping to have them made into rings for the wife and daughter. I suppose they will just have ro wait until i find some more and get them cut properly. They ended up being around 1.6cts each after they were cut. Learn from our mistakes i guess... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have sent anything there that would cut much over 1/2 a carat. I still will send all my small stuff to Lamberts as it just is not worth cutting here, unless you can find someone who'll cut 1/4 - 1/2 carat stones here for $20 each or less.

1.6ct stones are probably worth having re cut.

Wally69 said:
It is amazing what a little knowledge can do, I now appreciate the difference between a cut stone and a precision cut and polished stone thanks to Rough2Cut.

Just pulled my first completed stone off the machine after about a total of about 20+ hours of learning how it should be done, learning by mistake, learning to rectify mistakes and learning to identify where to improve.

I must say my appreciation of the stone cutting talent on this forum has skyrocketed. :eek: :cool:

Just need a couple of hundred more hours practice and to learn how to take photos of completed stones.....darn thing keeps shining back at me...possibly a good sign that I eventually did something right. :lol: :D :lol:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1455104552_image.jpg

Nice one mate, keen to see a better pic of it. :)

Sluicing Stan said:
Its a lot of work willo1 but it can be done. It is basically like reciting the stone again but with a bit less loss - only worth doing for bigger stones though. I have re-cut a lot of stuff that was cut overseas Thailand, India. They do it cheap but you end up paying one way or another. :(
Most of their cutting is fish eye, and a basic step cut (no critical angle) on the pavilion and the girdles not polished at all. I believe it is worth getting you stuff cut here in Australia and paying that little bit extra.
I believe that in more cases that most overseas cutting actually devalues the stone.
Sorry, I dont want to offend anyone here but I have seen a lot of bad cutting for a dollar or two per ct. :rolleyes:

How much would you charge to do a 0.2 carat stone out of interest Stan? $5, $10? :)

Of course you're not going to get a precision cut stone for a couple of bucks. I think the Thais do a decent job on the small stuff though, better having them cut the small stones than doing nothing with them.

Just my opinion of course.

Heatho said:
Wally69 said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1455104552_image.jpg

Nice one mate, keen to see a better pic of it. :)

Will need to come off the dop to get a better photo.

1455143939_image.jpg

Has anyone have current contact details for Lamberts Thailand? I have tried sending message through their website but got no reply. Also tried emailing them at [email protected] but the emails wont go through. Also tried [email protected] but that got rejected.

Latest posts