Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Heatho and Wally69 some very helpful pointing in the right direction there.
I suspected as much in regards to being as invisible in actions and state of the ground left behind. This is why I love this forum though, any questions I have I can either find the answer or ask and people are so kind and helpful with their responses.
Just need to find some time to get out and have a look now :D

I can add to it all blennus, get yourself a hand held pointer for locating easily and with no mess, make sure you have a square of cloth to put down for if you do need to extract a small amount of dirt, wait for rain to soften the ground so it's easy going and the grass recovers fully. And don't even think about doing a sports ground as a starter, do your training elswhere in the bush til you get your professionality about you. ;) 8)
cheers digger
Silver :D

Thanks Silver... yeah I'm thinking of sticking to non grassed areas first... just move the dirt from one spot to another and back again to fill. There are a couple of places I wouldn't mind having a look at... might try and do some old records searches online first and see if there's anything near home that might be worth a look. I'm in the middle of it all... just have limitations on how long I can be away from my wife at the moment so will see how we go... perhaps using the notion of getting the younger two out to "help" me might make it more appealing to her.

Ha, finally broke the Shilling drought. Slightly damaged though.

1461753868_20160427_204126.jpg

That's the same type dog collar pendant I saw P305 pull the other night, just a different colour. Makes me wish I was there hunting with you Heatho. :D

Yeah would be good Silver, if you're ever in Sydney gimmee a yell mate, plenty of treasure around here to share.

Cheers Rocket, must have been a recent drop as it only had grass covering it, lucky I got it before the council guys nailed it with a mower.

Got out for a couple of hours this arvo, continued on from where I left off, still gridding this playing field, the sixpence run continues. All these big deep sea sinkers as well, must be about 50 of them so far from this oval, they must have been either for casting practice or makeshift plumb bob's, bit of a mystery though.

1462082739_20160501_154842.jpg

1462082739_20160501_154851.jpg

Damn .. Those are huge sinkers
I guess ,after casting 50 of those, and not even getting close to the water, they gave up fishing :lol:
Good thing they didnt hit any of those 6ers ;)

Buggered if I can work it out Sandta, every time I go there I find them, litterally they are everywhere, good 1km from the water too. :) I'll post a pic later of all of them I've found there. I looked in the bucket I toss them into the other day and was quite surprised.

Heatho another lot of fantastic finds especially the sinkers.
I reckon they were used by a bloke practising his surf or rock fishing casts with a big overhead rig on a 10-12 foot rod and overhead real. You need a fair bit of weight to get those reels moving to make long casts.
Great finds.
Mackka

Cheerrs Mackka, that's good thinking actually, those reels can be a bugger to cast with plenty of snap offs or birdsnests with that much weight until you know what you're doing.

Hi Heatho,
I think Mackka is spot on with his ID, I have several versions/weight of those casting weights, some plastic/light and others of plastic and metal combinations of differing weights.
They are/were used in casting competitions with different types of overhead reels from single handed baitcasters through to heavy beach overhead gear.
I'm still working towards purchasing a CTX3030 but a huge tree in the backyard that has to come down is going to run the piggy bank down for the moment.
In the mean time I've been making a digging tool and a s/s beach scoop between gold prospecting trips.
Cheers,SinHof.

SinHof said:
Hi Heatho,
I think Mackka is spot on with his ID, I have several versions/weight of those casting weights, some plastic/light and others of plastic and metal combinations of differing weights.
They are/were used in casting competitions with different types of overhead reels from single handed baitcasters through to heavy beach overhead gear.
I'm still working towards purchasing a CTX3030 but a huge tree in the backyard that has to come down is going to run the piggy bank down for the moment.
In the mean time I've been making a digging tool and a s/s beach scoop between gold prospecting trips.
Cheers,SinHof.

Does sound like the most likely explanation to me also. Bummer about the tree coming down, sounds like a real spanner in the works.

Always good to have the equipment ready to go when purchasing a new detector, hope the tree doesn't cost too much to sort out, not fair that a tree is getting between you and a CTX..... First things first though I guess.

If the trees down already it might be cheaper to hire/borrow a chainsaw if it's feasible, rather than have to pay someone to take away all your firewood, just so they can sell it themselves. ;) 8)

Hi Heatho,
The tree is going to cost $5000 to be cut down to ground level, bugger, are well what has to be done has to be done.
Lets hope the NPWS get swamped with submissions and we make some progress towards being able to gain access to some National Parks.
Cheers, SinHof.

Latest posts