Coin/relics with the TDI PRO

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinkie

Bill & vernise
Reaction score
I like some of you have only 1 detector & bought it with a specific target in mind. So I bought the best I could warrant for the expense. I would like to be living with a gold bearing area a 'reasonable' distance down the road, but I don't! With 400kms dirt road to the NW or 470kms pavement south they tend to workout to be more than a long weekend and the usual restrictions of work, cash flow, etc to name but a few I don't get there a often as I would like. So....what to do if you like to swing but have no gold field in spitting distance? ... something I had no intention of doing...ever!
Well I'm hooked! Coin shooting is the next best thing. There's lots of parks, old & new race courses, Cobb & Co change stations, and many early 1900's structures & gathering places waiting to be swung!
The TDI PRO is not the best machine for this but it will do..
Here are some settings that might help the newbie like me:
This setting has it's positives and negatives and only on what I have found and could test on,
Bad news first, Negatives: Will miss 1c (corroded, though if no corrosion good signal..?), 5c,10c ( nickel's), Loss of depth generally (reasons as you will see)
Good news, positives: 20c (nickel) at about(a/a) 150mm, Coppers: penny a/a 300mm,1and 2c a/a 100-150mm. Silvers: threepence a/a 100mm( i didn't find but had 1 on hand to test),thick small silver ring a/a 150mm, thick wedding band gold ring a/a 400mm... due to size and shape this is very variable however my point is they are picked up. All ring pulls old and new, small lead (though not sure if a good thing) and bottle tops are SILENT.
Then of course there is the ubiquitous "coil candy" which there is no remedy for..
Settings: Gain: max
Pulse delay: 20-25
F/GB: on
C/GB: 10-11 ie. Max
T/H: silent
T/C: high

Like you Blinkie, I would love to be closer to some gold fields. I bought a coin/relic detector to see if coin shooting would satisfy my urge to hunt treasure. I love it now.

As you can see by the settings the machine is running totally out of balance but I have found that as long as you keep a steady swing and distance from the ground it seems to work.
These settings are for the standard 12" coil which brings me to ...
Coil Candy; nails(rusty or other wise), metal bits and pieces (rusty or other wise), soft drink screw tops, bullets and casings, etc, etc, etc. I can't seem to do much about them other then dig and try to remember how the coil responds to them.. for instance nails/wire or anything over 30mm long I can usually tell by how hard it is to pinpoint with the coil. The pinpointed area is usually larger or most times longer and very hard it get an exact spot so I 'call it' and move to the next target... the down side to that is it could be a gold or silver chain and if I was on a beach.... but it is unlikely to be a chain where I was detecting.. a race course. How I don't know whether these settings are the best however I figure that if I can not be digging ring pulls, bottle tops and the like( I don't know because I haven't dug any up!) this saves my knees, back and enthusiasm at a rate of about 30-40%(i think).
Anyway this is what I have worked out by trial with what I have but wait is suspense for any other TDI users with settings that work for them
Keep swinging
Blessings Bill

Thanks fellas, I hope there are others that can help me with some finer settings. A coin/ relic machine might be next on the bucket list.
keep swinging
Blessings Bill

Blinkie' I use and suggest to Try' Gain at 1/2-3/4, PDelay @ 10, CSwitch High, GB @ 4 you will get 1c 2c $1 $2 penny silvers but not all the trash unfortunately 5c 10c 20c 50c are out.

Most targets will overload on the surface but if you lift the coil a bit and they don't disappear, they sound round "the same at all sides". DIG!

Also works best with smaller single field elliptical.

Thanks Zuke_L, I'll try that. Gain 1/2-3/4 means dial position 3/4 around to max?
I was having trouble with ring pulls so I played with it until I got rid of those, with GB at a more central position there would be more depth. I also forgot to say- get $1 & $2 at a depth I would not want to dig, but it could be a big 'silver' :eek:.
I don't have much choice in coils, 12"standard & 6" Coltec that came with the unit but hopefully that will change.
Anyway thx
Blessings Bill

Latest posts