Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate I think that would be a really great spot for a swing, wish I was closer, I would be out there all the time. Will check it out on google earth.

What detector do you swing SC75? A GPX with a DD would be a great detector there for coins and relics, any signal could be a nice relic or some other treasure. Some of those old Brittish Silvers can be worth quite a bit of moolah if in good condition.

Thanks for the pic.

No worries Heatho. I have a 7000 but would like to buy a 3030 some day. Just need the $$$$.

Yeah I agree the 7k would be difficult if the ground was full of junk and it's very likely it would be with the old town there. Rusty nails and other iron would be everywhere. That's the beauty of the CTX, it can be set to just ignore most of that stuff. They are a bit expensive but if you get onto the good finds they can pay themselves off pretty fast, mine took about 3-4 months but these are very very busy ovals I'm swinging on, there are goldies everywhere.

I'd like a 7k too, but yeah the $$$$ are an issue and I wouldn't get to use it that often. :)

Possibly a question for which the answer is obvious but is there a good way to tell if current ovals/parks might have pre-decimals etc? Something like historic town records of buildings etc I would imagine? I'm in Sebastopol (just moved here last month) and there's a sports oval near us but I imagine it's new... I'd think there would be plenty of decent places to try detecting (with my cheap Kogan detector) but not sure where to start.

Also got a little confused from another thread in regard to detecting at ovals... am I correct that it is ok to detect around the "crowd" areas just stay clear of the playing fields... or do some people detect the actual playing area also?

I would be thinking you would be in the middle of predecimal heaven blennus.

As a good 'code of conduct' most of us take a minimal impact approach to disturbing ground. If a playing field looks like it has someone caring for it then we usually steer clear altogether. Extracting shallow targets with a screwdriver or by a careful slit cut could be considered on a playing field but the preference would be to talk to the caretakers and get their endorsement of your technique on 'their grass' prior to making an enemy of yourself and the hobby.

The extremities are where most people throw their kit, bags, jumper and take off their rings before playing or raid their mums purse for change, so it makes sense that the density of coins/jewels could be higher there anyway.

Historic aerial imagery is a great tool as are older maps. I like to read the name plates on reserves or monuments to get an idea of period the facilities were developed.

Archive digging is something I have not got into yet but land uses change over time and hot spots change. I have one regional site in mind that would benefit from some more research as it was a major gold rush demarcation point. The Internet offers little on this site but if I find myself at the state library one day, I have a specific target to research.

Good luck out there, ovals are usually placed on crown land and were set aside early in a towns history for a purpose. Here's hoping your local one was used as a camping and sly grog shop in e 1860s. :p

blennus said:
Possibly a question for which the answer is obvious but is there a good way to tell if current ovals/parks might have pre-decimals etc? Something like historic town records of buildings etc I would imagine? I'm in Sebastopol (just moved here last month) and there's a sports oval near us but I imagine it's new... I'd think there would be plenty of decent places to try detecting (with my cheap Kogan detector) but not sure where to start.

Also got a little confused from another thread in regard to detecting at ovals... am I correct that it is ok to detect around the "crowd" areas just stay clear of the playing fields... or do some people detect the actual playing area also?

G'day Blennus, Wally and I do a bit of detecting together and his advice is spot on. Not really much I can add to it except if you find 1 pre decimal coin there will generally be more, also the older the park/sportsfield the more chance pre dec coins will be there.

Cheers

Another observation Heath and I have made - popular ovals get top dressed regularly but areas of hillside overlooking them and some sidelines don't. They are the ones to find for the old stuff. A good indication is the large quantity of fuggets.

One of heaths honey holes has a strip of high yielding dirt a couple of meters wide where it looks like a new (last 30 years) drain has been cut and has exposed some 'old dirt'. There was so much silver coming out that we wished they would take a foot off the entire area and let us loose. I recon there must be thousands of silvers burried just out of range on that field by the density that came out adjacent to the drain.

Need to get out for a swing again Heath, I am missing it.

Nice spot that one hey...... Come on over if you get a spare day mate, would be good to catch up for a swing. All the latest silvers are coming from the other side of the oval from where we were swinging last time, I've just been gridding up and down. Still plenty left there I reckon, just deeper and iffy signals but still they are coming out. I've pretty much flogged the drain area.

Would be awesome if a foot was taken off, can't even imagine how many coins would come out. :)

The run of Sixpence continues, what I wouldn't do for a florrie or a shilling. :) Dunno what the thing with the crest is, thought it was part of a ring at first but I think it's just a junk badge that's fallen off something.

1461567160_20160425_162004.jpg

1461567160_20160425_162013.jpg

1461567160_20160425_162028.jpg

Nice hunt
Certainly does look like the top of a ring .... Pitty its not :(
Hopefully the next one is gold,to make up for it :D

Yeah, like sandta says, go gold, pick your best prospect and start pullin tabs. ;)
just till you tire of it. :D

Still amazes me at the number of $2 coins you have pulled from your local areas, consistently in the double figures for most hunts. The piggy bank must be overflowing by now. ;)

Latest posts