Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
Great to get 2 BL items in one day. First $1 mule I have seen that's been found detecting.

Cheers Rod, was an interesting day and 2 BL items was pretty awesome, I've never heard of a mule being detected either, I couldn't be the only bloke to get one......

Reeks said:
Awesome Heatho, I always keep an eye out at work for the mules.
Might have some time off soon. Keen for a trip west

Cheers Reeko, me too mate I always check for them. You bet I'm keen to head west, could be heading to Inverell late next month too if you're keen for some Sapph's?

Maybe I should go back and check through all my $1 coins, didn't even think about looking for such coin errors. :)

They are certainly worth looking for GP, there are a few for sale, most are around $5000. I had a chat with a few coin dealers this morning and 2 were not interested but 2 were and still said it's theoretically worth some $$$, one suggested just doing some good photos and putting it on ebay with a small reserve and seeing what it fetches. I might put a reserve of $100 or something or maybe even just $1 and see how it goes.

Anyway I got out today for a few hours errr actually 5 hours with renewed enthusiasm after yesterday, ended up with $55.20, 4 penny's 1948 1949 1950, a Florin 1947, a Shilling 1953 and a Sixpence 1962 plus a Silver pendant.

All up was a pretty good day.

1439800264_20150817_173839.jpg

1439800264_20150817_173956.jpg

1439800264_20150817_181504.jpg

Cheers fella's, just a rub with bicarb for all except the Shilling, it needed a galvanic clean which worked ok but still gave the coin a pinkish hue, can't work out what is causing that, but it's always under where the oxide layer was. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not.....

Yeah must be something to do with the copper content in the coins.

Cheers Mike, it certainly was a surprise to see it, I was gobsmacked to say the least.

Heatho said:
Cheers fella's, just a rub with bicarb for all except the Shilling, it needed a galvanic clean which worked ok but still gave the coin a pinkish hue, can't work out what is causing that, but it's always under where the oxide layer was. Sometimes it happens and sometimes not.....

Hey Heatho, this happened to a couple of my Florins 50% silver. I posted up a couple of pix on here somewhere, interestingly I decided to clean them again and now I have one clean 1946 and a 'yellow' 1953. One also has pitting.....

I did a bit of research and looks like the 50% silver are 'pickled in acid to give the silver finish of the 925 coins'.

My observations through error!; The original pickling removes copper oxide from the surface. Wouldn't take much wear to bring the copper oxide out again but is constantly polished out from handling. Any cleaning is going to bring out the copper oxide issue. With galvanic cleaning if salt is used as the electrolyte (like I did....) it can corrode the coin.

From there to remedy the situation I'm not sure, I'm going to give a couple of 'potions' a go tonight haha.

Zorgs said:
Heatho said:

Hey Heatho, this happened to a couple of my Florins 50% silver. I posted up a couple of pix on here somewhere, interestingly I decided to clean them again and now I have one clean 1946 and a 'yellow' 1953. One also has pitting.....

I did a bit of research and looks like the 50% silver are 'pickled in acid to give the silver finish of the 925 coins'.

My observations through error!; The original pickling removes copper oxide from the surface. Wouldn't take much wear to bring the copper oxide out again but is constantly polished out from handling. Any cleaning is going to bring out the copper oxide issue. With galvanic cleaning if salt is used as the electrolyte (like I did....) it can corrode the coin.

From there to remedy the situation I'm not sure, I'm going to give a couple of 'potions' a go tonight haha.

Hey Zorgs, you could be right mate. One thing though, the Galvanic method is not the same as Electrolysis, it's basically boiling water with soda bi carb and a piece of foil under the coins. Works a treat and probably a less aggressive method than Electrolysis.

Only had a couple of hours today so I hit the honey hole where most of my pre dec coins and silver rings have been liberated from and whaddaya know anotrher silver ring not far from where 3 of the others were found. I'm starting to thin all the targets out now in this spot and will keep going until eventually there are none, may still take a while though...... Ring came up pretty clean after a quick rub with soda bi carb.

1440051033_20150820_151858.jpg

1440051033_20150820_155718.jpg

Got out for a swing today, morning session was not too productive, just 2 pennies 1938 and 1911, and a half penny which is so worn I can't read the date, also a 1913 Shilling which is extremely worn also. Then I went home for lunch and after which I was keen for a 2nd session for a couple of hours, started finding a few modern coins and then a 925 earing with a Lapis stone in it, then finally the last target of the session was a 925 ring before the low battery warning came up on the CTX, anyway not a bad session by any means. Got about 20 deep BB's too

After the rain the targets were coming through nice, clear and quite deep, made the ground nice and conductive.

1440483183_20150825_153215.jpg

1440483183_20150825_153312.jpg

1440483183_20150825_160007.jpg

Latest posts