Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silvers from today cleaned up pretty good.

1463566553_20160518_201410.jpg

Hi Heatho,
Joined the CTX 3030 madness club today, had a good run on the gold last 10 days so pulled the trigger and purchased a new 3030 on the back of the gold finds.
Now the fun bit starts, learning how to drive the beast; down loaded a copy of the user manual onto the pad, gave me something to read by the fire at night while I was away, that is when I was not out swinging the 7000 on those still moon lit nights, great time to be out detecting. Hope you can make it up this way for the May 29 get-together, it will be great to catch up with you again, its been a while.
Cheers, SinHof.

SinHof said:
Hi Heatho,
Joined the CTX 3030 madness club today, had a good run on the gold last 10 days so pulled the trigger and purchased a new 3030 on the back of the gold finds.
Now the fun bit starts, learning how to drive the beast; down loaded a copy of the user manual onto the pad, gave me something to read by the fire at night while I was away, that is when I was not out swinging the 7000 on those still moon lit nights, great time to be out detecting. Hope you can make it up this way for the May 29 get-together, it will be great to catch up with you again, its been a while.
Cheers, SinHof.

Good to hear mate, won't take you too long to work it out, it is a slightly complicated machine but still quite easy to use. Perfect detecting weather I agree mate, was out at ST last week catching up with a few mates and the weather was spot on, gold was scarce but got a few little bits.

Will do my very best to get up there on the 29th, the car could use a good run as well, be great to catch up again too, that gives my 3 good reasons to get up there. :)

The CTX should pay itself off pretty quickly too, if you head out regularly it won't take long.

Wally69 is spot on too, can be very addictive this type of detecting.

Cheers
Heath

G'Day Heatho,
I don't know at this stage where the meet-up location is but if you like I can meet you at some convenient location and pilot you there if you are unsure on how to find the place. Again it will be good to catch up and have a chat on all things metal detecting.
Cheers, SinHof.
PS: PM sent.

Quick hunt back at the old HH this morning, still gridding 2 soccer fields there, with another 7 or 8 to go. Got a few bucks in moderns, a couple of charms, looks like there was a charm bracelet malfunction :) , a Florin and a Shilling which I scratched doh! :mad: Plenty of penny's and half penny's still there also.

1463715208_20160520_125815.jpg

1463715208_20160520_125825.jpg

1463715208_20160520_125841.jpg

Hi Gang,
I took the new 3030 for a trial run in the local park after changing some settings as-per Heatho's instructions and picked up my first coin, $1.00, I think it would be fair to say I'm now hooked on this style of detecting, a nice change from driving many hundreds of kilometres out to gold country.
Still a lot to learn about the new machine but hey, it's only day one; let the fun begin.
SinHof.

I hope those settings helped a bit, glad you enjoy this type of detecting too SinHof. The more you do it the better it gets, I can show you more when I come up for the group hunt, just a few little tricks I've taught myself. I'll show you how to make custom programs too for say just goldies or just silvers, they can really help show good targets in junk cluttered ground. The machine will take a while to learn but it's all easy and practical type stuff.

There are some great youtube vids on the 3030 as well. Learning where to hunt is probably the most important aspect, same as gold hunting treasure hunting needs a certain amount of cunning plans to get the best results. :D

It's great knowing you can hunt for treasure only minutes from home.

G'Day Heatho,
Have you had your 3030 out on hot ground in the gold fields? reasons for asking are two;I'm interested in how it would run in junk laden areas where there is a good chance of gold being present and secondly working areas around old miner's huts, or at least what's left of them. Found a ripper last Wednesday, just the fire place and a few stones that would have been the basic foundations, I ran the 7000 a fair radius around the location and could not put the coil on the ground for most of it, too many targets; I'm thinking some of them would have to be worth digging, would be great to unearth a gold sovereign.
Had a bit of fun in the park for an hour, still coming up to speed on all of the various menus and which button does what, your settings were good particularly the pin-pointing set-up, very accurate, thanks.
Cheers, SinHof.

Not yet SinHof, pretty keen to give it a go on the goldfields though, it has a dedicated ground balance so should handle it no worries. A bloke called Goldhound has used his extensively on the goldfields though and has done well with it on nuggets, I'll see if I can find the links to his posts on other forums. A soveriegn would be sensational. :)

Should be perfect for detecting around old shacks in heavy trash.

Good Evening Folks,
Took the new toy,3030 to the local beach, changed high trash to beach and left the rest as per Heatho's advice.
Detecting on a beach is a far cry from that of the gold fields,the surf noise combined with a stiff nor-easter made the threshold tone difficult to hear, my stuffed hearing.
Every detecting location has it's own range of distractions,regardless of where it is, arrrrrrre the beach and the "eye candy" wandering about, hell it's mid/late May, I guess the seasoned beach detectorists become immune to such wandering distractions.
After drooling over the finds that are posted here, I said to the better half " No worries dear, we shall go dig up some coin and slip across the road to the fish and chip shop for lunch"
Well!!!!! you cannot buy much with 37 cents, but it was a great few hours comparing target types to the numbers as they came up on the screen.
One thing I did try to improve was the audio side of things, I climbed into the GPZ7000 harness and the dual audio set-up and put the CTX's WM10 wireless speaker on the harness and connected the dual amps. The improvement in audio was incredibly good, for my ears at least and being able to adjust the left and right volume levels was a bonus.
Over the coming days I will try and come up-to-speed finding my way through the vast menu selection and where MineLab have cunningly hidden the different settings. It's all looking good and this style of detecting is certainly addictive.
Cheers, SinHof.

Ha ha .. Those distractions are the main reason for going :D
The finds are a bonus ;)
Glad your enjoying your new toy
The beach can be very challenging (and daunting) at first
Theres lots to learn but fortunately plenty of info on the topic

Latest posts