CTX madness 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Danny13 said:
I should start checking those numbers , your saying the first 2 numbers are jumping 2 and 10 with the last 2 numbers between 37 to 48? Platinum gives a nice dolid number . Interesting though - both metals are related

Yes mate, between 2 and 10 ferrous and then between 37 and 48 conductive. I've had some good rings give me jumpy readings before but this one is very very different, I only dug it as I saw the high conductive reading.

Yes the are 6 PGM's (platinum group metals) and they use alloys of different amounts of them in jewellery, also now they are starting to alloy silver with palladium too. Might have to go to a pawn shop and see if they can run it under an XRF analyser for me.

The fineness mark is damaged but it does say either 850 or 950 though pretty sure it's 850, there is no PD on it and it's way too light for platinum. It does have a hallmark and makers mark too but the hallmark is damaged as well and I can't make it out. It could be some weird silver alloy but I don't think so, the SG test I did was very close to palladium, though silver is close to that also.

I once got a silver ring that was 01:47 but that was one of those triple rings with 3 of them linked together.

Really weird ring........

I'm up in Yamba, Northern NSW at the moment, pretty much the first time I've been to this particular town. Went down to one of the beaches for a look and there was a bloke swinging a CTX, bugger I thought, lol. Anyway I went over for a chat and he said he does the beach every few days, hmmmmm I thought there won't be much there. Went to another beach for a look and a couple were merrilly swinging away, had a chat with them too, they are just scratching the itch between W.A. trips, they are locals here though.

Seems there are quite a few detectorists in Yamba, here I was thinking busy tourist town, just after school hols, there will be treasure everywhere..... nope, there won't be lol. Anyway, had a swing at the second beach and got $7 over about 40 mins, one find was a $5 coin spill.

Might go for another swing today somewhere though am feeling like a threatened species around here, I now know how you blokes in towns with heaps of detectorists feel.... Back at home there really aren't that many people doing it, I have massive beaches to myself with treasure everywhere, not like that here though. :D

Hi Heatho
I grew up in Yamba then moved to MacLean.. I have a few family members that detect all over Yamba very regularly and it's very hit and miss..have a try around the old swimming pool to the right of the rock wall..you might still pick up a PD or 2..also as you drive into main beach car park.. on the left adjacent to the main road was a park/ playground that was built in the early 40s...

1517889122_img_20180206_33260.jpg
the next photo could be private land now days not sure..
1517889200_img_20180206_42621.jpg
orange writing says old park.Sorryg photos went weird after I resized them the park is above main beach..and the old Olympic pool is bottom of light house.

Thanks fellas, the ring is a sterling silver "Nazar's Eye" Thomas Sabo ring, manufactured blue spinel with CZ.

Very nice place up here Sandta, could really see myself living here one day.

Good work Heatho, :Y: at first i thought you may have been a bit harsh on the previous operator, that maybe the difference is a lesser detector like my 505 vs the ctx :rolleyes: Then i concluded that even a go find wouldn't miss that ring, and that's exactly why i never listen to the "it's been flogged" brigade and no site is ever finished. :D
Heatho said:
Another nice sterling ring from this mornings hunt at the local beach, was chatting to a couple of locals there this morning and they said a bloke detected it a few days ago, not very well I reckon. :)

The stone is smokey quartz.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1517961274_img_20180207_104927.jpg

Hey SS, cheers mate, maybe I was a bit harsh as now I recall they said the tide was high but it wasn't right on the water line. Though yeah as you mentioned any detector would have found that ring. They did say that the bloke considered himself a full time detectorist though. :)

Luck though plays as bigger part as anything else and lately I have had luck on my side. Going for a drive and some lunch soon, though will hit the beach again this arvo and report back with any finds, gotta be a gold one there somewhere. :Y:

:rainbow: See you have advanced to: all rings - no coins :eek:

:rolleyes: Is that a Tasmanian silversmith mark or is the mark indicating that it was meant for that specific area of the body ?????

Wally69 said:

:rolleyes: Is that a Tasmanian silversmith mark or is the mark indicating that it was meant for that specific area of the body ?????

Dunno mate, pretty sure a Tassie silversmith, that thing would be a bit uncomfortable ahem, in that spot. Could be some special one for hipsters though, not too sure now I think about it..... hmmm maybe best not to think about it. :lol:

Got quite a few coins as well, just haven't cleaned them off yet, they're still in my bucket. :Y:

Hey Pete, thanks mate. I'm over on the Northern Beaches near Manly. Currently holidaying at Evans Head. :Y:

Have been getting some of the deepest coins I've ever gotten with the CTX up here, not sure why, the beaches are actually quite mineralised but I'm getting occasional $2 coins down to about twice my pinpointer depth or deeper. I actually got a couple of handfulls of sand from one beach near here that was totally black, sparkly and very heavy. I panned it off and there were a couple of very tiny specks of gold in it. There is meant to be platinum with the gold around here also with rutile and zircon sand.

I don't think I'ce recovered targets that deep in Sydney. Settings I'm using are:

Standard coin pattern in "beach" preset.
Senstivity auto +2 or +3
Deep: off
Saltwater: on
Volume: 30
17 inch coil.

A bloke came down yesterday arvo with a Sovereign GT, hope I left him something....... Had a bit of a chat, was a really nice bloke.

Wally69 said:

I have heard there is a very talented lady in Tasmania making some great and unusual rings that I should look at getting some stones set by. As usual , names during conversation wash out of my head like fine gold on a poorly set up high banker.

Does it have a makers mark stamp? Maybe this ring could be the connection initiator.

Latest posts