CTX madness 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho, when you are detecting on the beach and digging for a target do you just lay your detector on the sand? Do you use ear muffs or external sound? When I have my wife to do the digging it is easy but I find it more complicated when I am by myself.

Gary

Also I was getting some weird numbers up when detecting by the edge of a lake the other day. What was causing that?

Hey Gary,

I just lay the detector on the sand, I always give it a good rinse with fresh water after a beach hunt to wash any salt and sand off. On surf beaches I use the wireless module and headphones or ear buds, mainly ear buds lately as it's way to hot with the koss headphones.

The odd signals you were getting might be either, water under the soil where you are detecting in which case you could drop back the sentitivity or turn the saltwater setting on. Or it could be mineralised clay, this has happened to me a few times also from the highly mineralised clay around the foreshore of lakes. For this you need to drop back the sensitivity and turn ground balance on and do a GB.

Was the lake salt water or fresh. The issue could have been a combination of saltwater and clay/soil mineralisation.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Heatho. Think you are on the money with mineralisation; exactly as you described it. Sand was shallow and sitting on a clay base. FE and CO numbers dancing around a lot.
I did not sip the water to see if it was salty but I just read it is home to rays and flathead which means it must be salt.

As far as washing the detector off, I assume the headphone port is waterproof when the headphones are removed.

Always read your posts with interest.

Gary

Yeah the CTX struggles a bit on mineralised clay, it can still be detected, when in a situation like that try the auto sense or just drop the sens way down to about 5, it will still pick up targets no worries.

With the headphone port. Remove the screw, slip the black headphone port assembly off and look in the reverse side of it that joins up to the main detector housing. there will be a plug in there that you remove and it screws into the metal connector port on the main housing. The headphone assembly is not waterproof and neither is the detector until the plug is screwed into the connector, the plug has a rubber O'ring and totally seals the connector.

1486269290_20170205_152954.jpg

1486269291_20170205_153017.jpg

1486269815_20170205_153039.jpg

1486269400_20170205_153055.jpg

I actually leave that plug in constantly now and just use the wireless module for headphones. When I detect parks and other quiet places I just use the external speaker that's built into the detector.

Heatho said:
So much trash to fight through there mate. No one gets em all, lol.
Sounds like where I found Yoda :lol: :lol: Think I only covered 2.5 meters by 6 meters :rolleyes: sounds like the dirt is laced together with a mix of ring pulls and bottle caps and deep junk:lol: :lol:

B5MECH said:
Heatho said:
So much trash to fight through there mate. No one gets em all, lol.
Sounds like where I found Yoda :lol: :lol: Think I only covered 2.5 meters by 6 meters :rolleyes: sounds like the dirt is laced together with a mix of ring pulls and bottle caps and deep junk:lol: :lol:

Pretty much how it is at this spot mate. You're welcome to come for a swing there anytime, more the merrier and the quicker we'll get rid of the junk layer. It's one of the most difficult spots I've done.

Nice return for a couple of hours swinging Heatho, have to be happy with that despite all of the junk stuff.
Did not get out today, been designing and building a new hip stick thingy to handle the new heavy 19" coil on the GPZ7000, coming along nicely too.
SinHof.

Thanks everyone.

Dan, the discoloured coins are from the beach there, there's a small beach with shark caging there, it was a very low tide and I hit the beach first hoping for jewellery but all I got was a few crusty coins, I then hit the park and started getting goldies. I've found some nice silvers and old penny's such as an 1879 there too on the other side of the park but the trash is even worse there. I'll get back there again soon with the 10x5 as I know a lot of coins were being masked yesterday by trash.

SinHof said:
Nice return for a couple of hours swinging Heatho, have to be happy with that despite all of the junk stuff.
Did not get out today, been designing and building a new hip stick thingy to handle the new heavy 19" coil on the GPZ7000, coming along nicely too.
SinHof.

Hope it works well mate. :)

Hit a very busy surf beach today for a couple of hours before the heat became unbearable, got a couple of pieces of 925 jewellery, the ring is a pandora, seems to rain pandora around here..... :) The ring gave a TID of 12:46 and the earing was 12:33

I could smell the gold, was hoping and visualising but didn't get any, could see it everywhere, all the women there were dripping with the stuff, lol. It amzes me I don't find more gold on these busy beach hunts as everyone is wearing it......

Anyway I managed about $35 as well, not a bad hunt at all.

1486611390_20170209_142123.jpg

1486611390_20170209_142129.jpg

1486611390_20170209_142141.jpg

1486611390_20170209_142536.jpg

Latest posts