CTX addiction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have been out a bit but haven't posted much so...
from inner Sydney on 7 July. Lots of junk in a park I didn't bother digging until I found a nice little spot with rocks on a slope over looking the harbour and an oval.
All shallow.
1439431971_sydney_7_jul_2015.jpg

Commonwealth pennies just seem to corrode badly, I have very few that aren't like the ones above.

went up to a place called Taminick (near Glenrowan) on Tuesday. Got permission to detect on private property.
Now before anyone gets excited this place has been used as a camp site for some 30 years by black powder shooters, what I'd call reenactors or living historians.
So all the buttons and stuff that looks old are in fact reproduction items that they dropped in their camps over the years.
On the upside no one had detected the site before, it was day light (I usually hunt at night) and nothing was deeper than 10 cms - so easy to get stuff.
1439432310_total.jpg

"13ALH" no attachment points on the back of the item on the left of the photo, quite heavy brass casting. Thought it might be 13 Australian Light Horse but that doesn't seem right. Any ideas anyone?
Middle object is a fake shilling - looks silver but is some sort of aluminium by the signal it gave
Right hand - axe head pendant, photo doesn't show the detail properly. I know the bloke who dropped this (it was where his tent often stood) and he's passed away now so this alone was worth the trip.
1439432472_three.jpg

Hi Sandta,
was travelling north to play music at a medieval festival in Caboolture so I thought I'd stop with a friend and take a day's rest ... which means me and the CTX and no fone calls etc.

yes I get around ... unfortunately only visiting during the medieval festival up there.
But will probably head up there next year Treasureman, happy to organise something ahead of time.

Goldpick - excellent work, thank you. And yes the coin was used by a group of English Civil War reenactors who like to drink and gamble, their camp is a lot of fun. Just a fake hammered.

I also worked the medieval event site while I was up there and pulled something like $40 plus in modern coin at night. I had the feeling it had been detected previously.

Thanks for all the comments people.

went back to a familiar site in close to Melbourne last night. This time I focused on areas which had been used by vehicles and by the looks of it once had trenches.
All the stuff that didn't go in the bin/recycling, about 50/50 booty/crap.
The CTX was finding good stuff right next to rubbish. I'm getting better at reading the numbers and listening. That said I went with the standard coil which meant pinpointing was spot on for a change - might have missed deeper stuff but 'meh' :/
1440896928_29_aug_15_all.jpg

my apologies for big image but I would like some help. Got a few coins I can't ID.
Top row are Aussie coins for size comparison.
Bottom middle row - 1908 & 1916 George V half pennies.
Bottom row left - ? maybe a Victoria half penny? Can't ID the head on the reverse and the figure on the front is the other way round compared to George half pennies?
Bottom row right - silver coin. Maybe a 6 pence but again no detail at all. Possibly a very worn Queen Vic but I just don't know?
Suggestions are very welcome.
1440897114_29_aug_15_british_coins.jpg

and yes it rained in Melbourne last night but booty is too much to ignore :)

Interesting hunt, and a good variety of finds from the CTX. The left facing half penny might be a George III from 1806-07 when the Britannia faced to the left, and the coin size was 29mm. If it is 30-31mm, could be from 1799. Not sure on the other silver coin, though looks the same size as a sixpence :)

Robert Le Mal said:
yes I get around ... unfortunately only visiting during the medieval festival up there.
But will probably head up there next year Treasureman, happy to organise something ahead of time.

Goldpick - excellent work, thank you. And yes the coin was used by a group of English Civil War reenactors who like to drink and gamble, their camp is a lot of fun. Just a fake hammered.

I also worked the medieval event site while I was up there and pulled something like $40 plus in modern coin at night. I had the feeling it had been detected previously.

Thanks for all the comments people.

Here is A Silver Long Cross Cut Half penny from 1247 AD, This one is 768 years old, My others went walkabout,
1440902943_ch.jpg

Great hunt Robert you got a few good straights 6d down going on,... I like the look of that old Penny too,... am I seeing a worn off cartwheel rim happening on it ? :eek:

1440993376_george_iii_half_penny.jpg

so by the man's face on the coin and the size it looks like I found a George III half penny in Melbourne? How does that work? Or I have gotten it terribly wrong?

Thank you for the suggestions too.
More from last night's hunt in a few minutes.

Latest posts