Couple recent finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldGT said:
Reminds me of a cartwheel penny.
Yea when I typed into googles 5mm thick lead coin cartwheel came up, but aren't they copper?? It's way too small only 27mm diameter but weighs in at 32.3 GM's!!! Bout 5mm thick!!! Can't be a coin can it?? I'm stumped cheers oldgt

1615854764_screenshot_2021-03-16-10-32-06.jpg
1615854798_screenshot_2021-03-16-10-21-05.jpg

mineallmine said:
OldGT said:
Yea when I typed into googles 5mm thick lead coin cartwheel came up, but aren't they copper?? It's way too small only 27mm diameter but weighs in at 32.3 GM's!!! Bout 5mm thick!!! Can't be a coin can it?? I'm stumped cheers oldgt

Im no expert but yeah I believe they are copper. The pics is hard to tell but the motive certainly looks like what you would see on a cartwheel. They are certainly heavy in their own right.

I see some copper corrosion at the edges, but have to trust you on it being lead. Im unaware of any lead coins, again no expert, but it would be a poor choice, low value, subject to easy wear, malleable. If its lead its odd but unlikely a coin.

Best Ive got is a form of bagseal, or unique junk should it turn out to be lead.

OldGT said:
mineallmine said:
OldGT said:

Im no expert but yeah I believe they are copper. The pics is hard to tell but the motive certainly looks like what you would see on a cartwheel. They are certainly heavy in their own right.

I see some copper corrosion at the edges, but have to trust you on it being lead. Im unaware of any lead coins, again no expert, but it would be a poor choice, low value, subject to easy wear, malleable. If its lead its odd but unlikely a coin.

Best Ive got is a form of bagseal, or unique junk should it turn out to be lead.
It's an innie so I was thinking it may have been used to make fakes??

1615918858_img_20210315_213457_117.jpg

1615918878_img_20210315_213457_121.jpg

Another token
Interestingly, this was a neighbouring business to my previous token
Copper One Penny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor, London. Issued by A.G. Hodgson, Outfitter & Tailor, Melbourne, 1860. Alfred Hodgson came to Melbourne in 1853. He established a drapers, tailors and outfitters business in Little Lonsdale Street in 1853. Hodgson made the arrangments to issues his tokens with his business neighbour John Andrew, both men ordered their tokens through a London agent named Coard. It is thought that the dies were cut by Birmingham medallists Heaton and Sons (based on the design employed for Hide and De Carle, 1857-1858) and struck by W.J. Taylor in London. Hodgson operated his business with great success until his retirement. Hodgson visited England after his retirement and when he returned to Australia his wealth seems to have evaporated. He died aged 80, in a charitable home run by Mr. Syme of The Age.

silver said:
A nice bit of history. :Y:
Thanks silver, this spot of mine has been unbelievable and there's still a lot more to find I just know it..nobody has detected here obviously, and it's a public space, so I'll be going back till my nox is done with it lol
Few months worth I reckon. Basically I'm not leaving till I have a cartwheel ;)

Latest posts