Once upon a time in the West

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some years ago. south of Hall's Creek in WA, i detected the remains of a woman's purse. It was just the brass bow from the mouth of the purse.
Obviously I wondered what had been in the purse before it disintegrated in the annual bush fires.
I cleared away the spinifex and in no time at all I found an 1872 Queen Victoria English threepence, an 1873 Dutch two and a half cent piece and a large silver plated ring with the plating worn away in parts probably due to working in gravel.
I surmised that the woman who lost the purse was a widow who retained her dead husband's ring for sentimental reasons.
There was a grave nearby with no headstone, just a rectangle of pure white quartz rocks but it would have been too much to conclude that that had been her husband's grave because it was close to Brockman's area where gastric disease had killed many prospectors.
There was also a brass artifact containing a still workable spring but what it was reains a mystery. I can't produce o photograph because I have mislaid the whole bundle of finds.
On another occasion I found an Elizabethan coin in the same area. Unfortunately it was from the reign of Queen Elizabeth the Second and doesn't count.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story 👍without successive finds you would be none the wiser. If you do find your lost treasure it'd be nice to see some pictures.

Grey Panner,

We had a similar experience and I may have even posted photos here some years back but my memory doesn't span that far. Early in our WA prospecting days we were at the old townsite of Mertondale NE of Leonora when Mrs M detected a late 1800's shilling, so that started a more thorough search.

I found a briefcase frame surrounding a tree. It was only the steel frame with brass latches but no skin. I could only imagine what might lay buried there but I couldn't detect because of the frame. Either the frame or the tree had to go and Mrs M wouldn't let me attack the tree so I sat there with a file until I cut the frame through and removed it. It didn't achieve much because there was nothing underneath.

However while I was filing away at the briefcase Mrs M found another 1800's coin, I think a threepence and two cufflinks. They are not a pair but one is in particularly good condition. I searched on and pulled up a Quainlong Emperor coin 1735-1796. She still has these artifacts in one of her displays in this room somewhere.

We didn't find any gold there but if we had it couldn't have been more memorable :)

Grey Panner,

We had a similar experience and I may have even posted photos here some years back but my memory doesn't span that far. Early in our WA prospecting days we were at the old townsite of Mertondale NE of Leonora when Mrs M detected a late 1800's shilling, so that started a more thorough search.

I found a briefcase frame surrounding a tree. It was only the steel frame with brass latches but no skin. I could only imagine what might lay buried there but I couldn't detect because of the frame. Either the frame or the tree had to go and Mrs M wouldn't let me attack the tree so I sat there with a file until I cut the frame through and removed it. It didn't achieve much because there was nothing underneath.

However while I was filing away at the briefcase Mrs M found another 1800's coin, I think a threepence and two cufflinks. They are not a pair but one is in particularly good condition. I searched on and pulled up a Quainlong Emperor coin 1735-1796. She still has these artifacts in one of her displays in this room somewhere.

We didn't find any gold there but if we had it couldn't have been more memorable :)
Hi Moneybox.
I agree with your final remark. Finding personal artifacts and trying to visualise the circumstances leading to their existence is more satisfying than
simply finding gold.
Mind you, we did find gold. It was specimens in quartz. We filled a couple of peanut butter jars with them. They were rich in gold but there was no reef there,
just a lot of very fine dust. We concluded that some early prospector may have set up a dry blower there and carried the pay dirt from further afield.How he came to miss so many specimens amazes me. Perhaps he was sick and found it hard to concentrate. Perhaps he was getting such good results that a few grammes wasted didn't worry him. Perhaps he wasn't operating his dry blower correctly. Who knows. It is all part of the mistique of reworking old areas.
Grey Panner

Latest posts