Counterfeit/fake Minelab detectors and accessories

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Getting back to Chinese Minelabs no I wouldn't buy one but if it did the same job as the $11000 unit would you buy one for $3000? Of course you would I would aswell.

No i would not after losing an awesome job to chinese knock offs.

I purchase a lot of things from overseas, its generally cheaper and i've never had any issues.
I am all for supporting a local Australian business, but sometimes i cant justify the difference in the prices.
At the end of the day if I'm going to get ripped off here, i'll find it cheaper somewhere else.

isolation said:

Yes and the poison Melamine Milk scandel, the socks that have holes already in them, toxic Lead painted toys etc, unethical Apple products.

Chinese detectors are crap as has been discussed on the forum previously, forgeries that are not even a PI unit but a poor quality VLF.

At least people are waking up to the fact the Chinese are trying poison us all but it's too little too late. The only place that cans Tuna for the Australian market is Thailand and we can thank them for Scrombroid poisined fish. Was just reading an article today about the last fish cannery closing down in Eden 16 years ago...... Sad.

Wrong that a company spends years, lots of money in R&D and patents to protect there products and Chinese manufacturers just flat out copy and steel there ideas. :(

Last "genuine" Minelab i checked was made in Asia. I don't know where the 7000 is made but I wouldn't be surprised if most or all of it was also made in Asia.

I am all for supporting Australian business and will buy Australian made every time unless the price difference is ridiculous but I feel like a mug when I buy what I think is an Australian made item only to find out that it is made in Asia.

Jin said:
Wrong that a company spends years, lots of money in R&D and patents to protect there products and Chinese manufacturers just flat out copy and steel there ideas. :(

If these companies stopped outsourcing their manufacturing overseas it would be a lot more difficult for the counterfeiters. Iphone only costs about $20 to make in China.

Magilla that's what I mean! Yeah all good and well to buy Aussie products from Aussie company's but it's got made in China etc All over it just like an electric guitar I bought years ago from a local bloke and was lead to believe it was made in America' guess what I pulled the cover off the back and BAM! China.
When I talk about Chinese detectors I'm not just refering to the Minelab knock offs i mean most brands made in Australia, America or the back shed' the internal components are probably sourced from China to begin with.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the genuine GPZ is built or partially built in another country' is this why they can build clones so easily these days? Some are going out the back door...

I have a lot of trouble with imported steel, 'Australian Tube Mills' and other Aussie made steel is far above the standard that's being imported of late, RHS, sheetmetal, pipe, flatbar, shaft and the list goes on, imported crap is cheaper but a much lower quality, even had trouble with imported alloy sheets, cracking on folding, brown rust on welding, ect.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to stop them is not to support them, I ask for Australian made materials only, when it comes to fabrication, last thing I want is a customer coming back to me because I 'tight assed Charlie' on a job using inferior imported materials, let alone the thought that some materials broke and caused injury or death, bad ju ju :|

dwt said:
I have a lot of trouble with imported steel, 'Australian Tube Mills' and other Aussie made steel is far above the standard that's being imported of late, RHS, sheetmetal, pipe, flatbar, shaft and the list goes on, imported crap is cheaper but a much lower quality, even had trouble with imported alloy sheets, cracking on folding, brown rust on welding, ect.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only way to stop them is not to support them, I ask for Australian made materials only, when it comes to fabrication, last thing I want is a customer coming back to me because I 'tight assed Charlie' on a job using inferior imported materials, let alone the thought that some materials broke and caused injury or death, bad ju ju :|
I totally agree you can get it cheaper but it is no way as good as Aussie made steel, thats why you get 10 years to 30 years warranty on colorbond products I'd like to see a Chinese company offer that.

dwt said:

Hay Dwt,
Have you checked the sizing of the Chinese steel, nearly always 1mm below stated size and I agree absolute junk.

Some caravan chassis manufacturers are using cheap as s** t Chinese imported crap. It doesn't even come close to AU/NZ standards.
They should be held accountable.

Hmmm ,,, those copies of the zed can be had for 200 to 400 bucks with a min order of 2 ,,
Sorry but if you think for one minute that they perform like the real deal , your wrong ,,,

just sayin looks like the GPZ isn't as good as it is made out to be...i'm all for Aussie brands and I wasn't saying i'd buy a cheap knockoff from China but the GPZ don't work

dwt said:
I was having the same problem here DWT but on further investigation its now law that the aussie steel manufactures have to have a certain percentage of recycled metals in their products hence the reason why you have noticed poorer quality. Cracking on folds is also a problem we had too...the steel seems to be more brittle with recycled rubbish steel in it

For them to be advertised a week after official release of the real deal makes me think they are more likely to be a scam, a factory back door production run or a stolen load.

It takes time to copy, make tools, boards etc... Can't see this being done in the time it took to put the add up.

Guess that is the cost Minelab needs to pay for offshore production. :rolleyes:

Offshore production or not things get copied.
Nugget Finder coils get made here in Bendigo but that didnt stop the Chinese factories from making knock offs(Bad quality of course and no understanding of the reason for Litz wire).

What matters is if you guys support the fakes or not.
Dont buy the cheap fakes and they wont have a reason to make them.....eventually.

And if an Aussie company is REALLY ripping us of (Minelab are not ripping us of considering the potential returns we can make)then source an alternative Australian product if possible.

LC76 said:
You guys would really support Chinese knock off's over an Aussie company?

Me and two other bloke's were working at nugget finder a few years ago building coils until Chinese knock off coils almost put the company out of business...... It was that or lay of 3 of the newest employees.
Chinese knock off's lost me my job, don't support that crap please guy's.

That Terrible Mate, I'm sorry to hear That,

I just bought another machine on Thursday/Friday, But because minelab moved over seas was the main reason I stop buying their product, I was Proud of Minelab and I felt like King of the Field when ever I took it out and when they moved to asia I said to my dealer that now all the fakes would turn up and they did within 6 months, Then the Price's would go up 3 or 4 times a year, the musketeer Advantage went from $659.95 to $1180.00 in less than 6 months and the excuse was its the exchange rate which was A Lie because the Aussie Dollar had dropped not gone up and being an Aussie I keep an eye on such things, And I always wore Minelab Baseball Caps and in A month or 2 they went from $16.00 to $39.00 and for A cap made in china is A Joke and 5 years later I can still buy other brand caps for $15.00s.

But Because they moved to asia I no longer felt safe buying a minelab product because I never knew if it was the real deal or Not and then the price's just went through the Roof felt like they were sticking Two Fingers up at us, I have A heck of a Fondness for minelab because Being an Aussie it was my Connection to Home although I can't be there in Person,

No doubt a lot of you Guys think that I am A Minelab Hater, But I just don't have the Faith anymore

The Fake's are a double edged sword, They hurt Minelab and the Buyers and these sites like Alibaba do nothing to stop it, they don't care who it hurts as long as they get their commission, and they best way to hurt them Is Never Click on an Alibaba Link because they also get Money for every Hit they Get,
So If you really want to help People Like LC in the Future then Tell your Mates and get them to pass it on too, And Get them to NEVER CLICK on Alibaba Links.

Again LC sorry to hear that,

John

Wally69 said:
For them to be advertised a week after official release of the real deal makes me think they are more likely to be a scam, a factory back door production run or a stolen load.

It takes time to copy, make tools, boards etc... Can't see this being done in the time it took to put the add up.

Guess that is the cost Minelab needs to pay for offshore production. :rolleyes:

What everyone is forgetting is that the ZED uses the CTX3030 Casing and the CTX has been out for A while and all the have to do is use the Blue and Black Dye and you have an instant GPZ-7000,

john

Latest posts