coin & bullet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooster

Darren
Reaction score
Any ideas on the coin and bullet

3325kxx.jpg

1h2nps.jpg

9tei9y.jpg

The coin on the left is an old Greek coin. Its value is 10 lepta which is a lower denomination of the drakma. So if my memory serves me right 1 drakma equals 100 lepta so effectivly this is 1/10 of a drakma. This was in circulation well before the euro demised Europe.
As for the bullet....probably used to make the hole[joke] :p :p

That looks like a 9mm luger (aka 9x19mm Parabellum). Throw up a few dimensions if you can. Base diameter, case length and bullet diameter and ill be able to tell you.

Case should me roughly 19mm long and base will be 9.93mm across.

Are there any markings on the bullet base? Also check if the firing cap has any indentations, it could be a "blind" or soft struck round. If the firing cap has any round indentaions, be careful with it as it could go off if handled to rough, rare but a possibility.

TenOunce Tone said:
Are there any markings on the bullet base? Also check if the firing cap has any indentations, it could be a "blind" or soft struck round. If the firing cap has any round indentaions, be careful with it as it could go off if handled to rough, rare but a possibility.

If its older military surplus, it will most likely only have a date and makers mark on it. Only the newer sporting ammo has the actual cartridge stamped on it.

Also older ammo had primers that were more effected by water and it looks like the case has let the elements in over time which would render the primer useless. Not saying its not dangerous though. Just don't go throwing it around and you'll be fine.

My sugestion is to either hand it in to the local police station if you don't have a Cat H license or find somone who reloads and have them pull the projectile for you as it is still classed as live ammo becasue it has a primer, powder and projectile.
Or if your upto it throw a pair of safety glasses on and pull the projectile out with a pair of pliers. It should come easily with a little sideways movement. Fill the case with WD-40 and that should destroy the primer if its old surplus ammo. That way it will be rendered safe.

Your pretty safe as long as you don't stike the primer.

To legaly own it you have to remove it from the below categorys which defines ammunition in NSW so removing the projectile is the way to go. (unless you have a H license)
-Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and a projectile, or
-Any article consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a primer and containing a propelling charge and a projectile

I know its a pain but having live ammo without a licnese isn't a good idea. It probably won't be a concern in its condition but people outside the forum can read this and its better that you be informed so that you can cover all bases.

Found a live round in the gutter of our street once - memory is a bit vague but it was not your run of the mill bullet, prob high velocity / large calibre hunting, similar to a 7.62 SLR round but a bit smaller - this being post hand your gun in days I thought I'd do the right thing and take it down the local cop shop. In a good natured way he complained about all the stupid <insert swearword of choice> paperwork he had do do to dispose of 1 round - I suggested that if i found another one i should just disarm it myself and he agreed!

As a kid I think I used up all the old mans 12 gauge shells he forgot he had, corkscrew to get the wadding out, throw the leadshot away, make trails with the cordite and light. Then place the shell in the vice and hit the primer with a philips head screwdriver / hammer

And the .22 rat / starling bullets - took some to school to show the kids how you could set them off just by stomping on them (did manage to get myself that day - with the shell not the projectile)

Latest posts