Am I doing it wrong?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finding plenty of threepence and modern coins, but not any shillings or sixpence.
All the threepence around 6" deep, have I not got sensitivity up enough to find deeper targets?

I would be under the impression that Penny's and the bigger targets would be found at around the same depth.

Am I doing something wrong?

I detect in suburban Perth.

There's no pattern to what I'll find.

I've gone months with no silver coins then I'll find a bunch, same for pre-decimal coppers.

If I look in places where there's lots of human traffic I'll generally find some spending coins.

Some old sites where you'd expect to find a heap of pre-decimals I'll find none!

I find 10 threepence coins for every couple of shillings. Out of 100 odd coins only few six pence and two florins.
Maybe threepence coins are plentiful as they were so small and light which made them easy to lose.

Pre-decimal depths are all over the place sometimes just under the surface and sometimes down 10cm or so.
Sometimes you can guess that the sand has slid down an incline and buried them - sometimes the sand has slid down an incline and exposed them!

I maybe wrong here but i also believe that in poorer areas, in those early days, Shillings and Florins were in less usage than smaller currencies,i.e. threepences and sixpences, pennies and halfpennies. I would always be grateful for finding anything and then think about why it was lost i.e. sitting under a tree or running across the field or ……

Finding plenty of threepence and modern coins, but not any shillings or sixpence.
All the threepence around 6" deep, have I not got sensitivity up enough to find deeper targets?
I would be under the impression that Penny's and the bigger targets would be found at around the same depth.
Am I doing something wrong?
In my experience, if you're finding threepences you must be doing quite a lot right! They're a tricky little target that's easily overlooked by detectorists who don't keep their coils close to the ground and overlap their swings. Well done you! 👍

Larger silver coins were easily located with the various generations of multi-frequency Minelabs, so any that you find likely indicate poorly-detected (possibly never-detected), ground. Hunt such places hard - there could be anything down there!

In my experience, if you're finding threepences you must be doing quite a lot right! They're a tricky little target that's easily overlooked by detectorists who don't keep their coils close to the ground and overlap their swings. Well done you! 👍

Larger silver coins were easily located with the various generations of multi-frequency Minelabs, so any that you find likely indicate poorly-detected (possibly never-detected), ground. Hunt such places hard - there could be anything down there!
Thanks for the feedback, I don't have any fancy Detector, single frequency 14KHz Detech Chaser.
Basically turn it on and go. With discrimination settings available.

Thanks for the feedback, I don't have any fancy Detector, single frequency 14KHz Detech Chaser.
Basically turn it on and go. With discrimination settings available.
And yet you're having very good success in coin and treasure hunting and unless I've misinterpreted your earlier posts, have also found gold with it? If so, that's a pretty impressive tally. There's plenty of people who've spent a lot more and found less, that's for sure.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/post-669925

If you're those other coins then you'll find the others if they are there.

I was disappointed for a while when I realised that you can only find it if its there! Persistence pays of.

And yet you're having very good success in coin and treasure hunting and unless I've misinterpreted your earlier posts, have also found gold with it? If so, that's a pretty impressive tally. There's plenty of people who've spent a lot more and found less, that's for sure.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⭐-gold-detecting-shown-tell.6453/post-669925
Well to be honest I have found some gold, two 2 mm round reef nuggets. But I had a friend who was using a SDC2300 to confirm.

Attachments

• PXL_20240306_051509966.jpg
    PXL_20240306_051509966.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240301_052535810~2.jpg
    PXL_20240301_052535810~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Another important question, if I'm finding a sh$t load of steel and aluminium pull tabs around 3-4 inch deep, I'm suspecting that not many people have detected the area?

I find 10 threepence coins for every couple of shillings. Out of 100 odd coins only few six pence and two florins.
Maybe threepence coins are plentiful as they were so small and light which made them easy to lose.
Note: ... A six pence is 2 threepences, shilling is 4 threepences, florin is 8 threepences.
Note: ... Larger coins are easier found only the hard ones are left if you are not there first.
Note: ... Skill, Location and Time are the requirement to find gold as well as silver coins.
Note: ... You have shown good skills and if you find pennies at a site you have a good chance of finding all the silver coins ther.

Great work.
Had an old Drover/Gallipoli vet who's horses i used to work, back in my late teens.
He told me of an old railway station, since long gone, that is up my way.
Used to be just down the end of his street and a short ride north.
Guessing ill be heading out for a swing, after seeing this.
He boarded a train from that station, back in the day, and returned with shrapnel taken from his butt cheeks!
The stories he used to tell were worth their weight in gold, had a tough life, but was certainly made of the right stuff.
I recall he was actually bitten by a Tiger snake in his vege patch in his late 70's.
His home brew was so bloody potent, the docs told him it saved his life. Used to knock the socks off my old man lol.
Apparently, he told his daughter he just felt a bit off, though his foot was quite the sight! She took him to hospital (This being a couple of days after it happened), when she recognised the bite marks during that visit.
I remember him bringing out the "bastard" not long after that, when i was up there to work the horses again.
He'd found him in his pumpkins, and got him with the shovel. Was an impressive vege garden, always worked in his thongs of course!
Poor bugger watched his Son pass unfortunately, whilst training a young horse to Sulky, on his own property.
Top old bloke, tough as nails, but imparted a lot of wisdom and knowledge regarding local history, horses and riding, droving etc, in return for working them for him.
Bob Watson, Drover, Gallipoli vet and all round top bloke, may he rest in peace.

Latest posts