Coin and relic detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weaman said:
Thanks for the replies :) - i'm so eager right now

If i were to go for the X-Terra 705 - i see there is 3 models on the site, the red/black, the gold and the duel. What are the main differences between them and what best suits my needs do u think?

Does treasure count as gold/silver jewellery. The reason i ask is i have noticed u seem to get a detector that focuses on coin/treasure or gold.

Thanks again
Yep spot on. The metal detectors that are designed for gold hunting are generally more expensive as they use different technology to handle the highly mineralised ground in the goldfields. You could find gold with a treasure detector in the right circumstances, but in general they are unstable in "Hot ground".

The coil on the gold, is great at seperating close targets, and you can find anything with it. You may never use, the other coil in the duel pack. The gold pack coil cant be submersed.

Hi I think you are heading the wrong way about this all the detecters the guys have said are great metal detecters and they know there stuff,but $1000 just to see if you would like the hobby sounds a bit expensive to me , have a look at the Garrett Ace 250 or the 350 a lot less than a $1000 and they are a excellent detecter they have all that you need to see if you like the hobby the Ace 250 has been around a long time for one reason they are good I reckon they are one of the best starter metal detecters out for the money.this is just my opinion but I started with the Ace I now have 7 detecters and I still own the Ace.Thanks

I agree with 300. The AT Pro, XTerra 705 and others are great machines, however they mean laying down some serious money, and can have bigger learning curves that frustrate the beginner then they quickly lose interest.Better to begin with a decent starter machine (Ace 250, Xterra 305 etc) and see how you like it. If you really enjoy the hobby, you can upgrade to a better machine suited to the style of detecting you enjoy ( the starter machine can be sold to help upgrade, or can be kept for family/friends to use). If you don't like the hobby then you won't be too out of pocket. With your current budget, buying a cheaper starter machine will also allow you to buy some other gear that will be very helpful eg handheld pinpointer, sand scoop, finds pouch, control box cover, just to name a few. I also started with an Ace 250, loved the hobby, so upgraded to an AT Pro. I was very fortunate to make some great finds and found I really enjoyed beach and water hunting so now have upgraded in that direction. The hobby can be quite expensive so you need to make sure it's for you before laying down lots of your hard earned $$$$$. You don't want that investment sitting in a cupboard or a shed collecting dust and deteriorating. Check out forums like this and others, plus youtube etc. When you decide on a machine, then start researching it on the net and see what you think. When you decide to buy, again, shop around and see what the best deal you can get is. Some places might have the detector at the same price but one may offer free postage, another might give a discount for shopping on-line or throw in freebies. Don't be afraid to ask for this. Hope this is helpful. Making the right decision will reduce frustration (nobody said this hobby is all gold), save you money and make this awesome hobby more enjoyable. Regards.

Even better advice, because a significant amount of $$$ that you spend on the cheaper machine, can be won back in gold coin drops, as they ring true and loud, on any detector :) So do bottletops B-)

Mate

No need to spend big dollars to see if you like the hobby,started of with the ace 250 ,it has paid for its self in just under a year now .
I find I enjoy beaches wet and dry sand hunting the most, so now cashed up the finds and looking to up grade,to suit my needs,will keep the ace for family and friends to use and as a spare machine, don't believe you have to spend $$$$$ to find out if you like the hobby,you will know pretty quickly if it's for you and where you want to spend most of your time detecting.

Recommend the Tesoro compadre as a good starter machine (much underrated ) good price new ,good warranty ,a long with the ace 250 and the minelab range

Just do it you won't regret it

Cheers. Mr T

Thank you for all the advise, i appreciate what your saying cabwoody & 300 and i agree that like with most things its best to start on the cheaper end of the scale to make sure its enjoyable and something i will get into.
I'm one of those people who needs to have the best of when i do something, i don't know why. I'm not loaded and cant go for the big guns straight away but by going for something just above entry level i feel like i am taking a good step into the hobby.

Unfortunately i am way too keen to get started and after the advise from here and the reviews read, i have all ready gone out and brought the X-Terra Gold :D

Now to do something i may never have done before........ read the manual :p

1432549753_detector.jpg

Weaman said:
Thank you for all the advise, i appreciate what your saying cabwoody & 300 and i agree that like with most things its best to start on the cheaper end of the scale to make sure its enjoyable and something i will get into.
I'm one of those people who needs to have the best of when i do something, i don't know why. I'm not loaded and cant go for the big guns straight away but by going for something just above entry level i feel like i am taking a good step into the hobby.

Unfortunately i am way too keen to get started and after the advise from here and the reviews read, i have all ready gone out and brought the X-Terra Gold :D

Now to do something i may never have done before........ read the manual :p

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5228/1432549753_detector.jpg

Don't worry, I probably would have been tempted to do the same - I just love my gadgets! ;) On the plus side there a few 705 owners active on here at the moment, so no shortage of people to bounce questions off should the need arise. There are also plenty of you tube clips showing instructions and tips on the use of the 705, including from our own member SaBogan. :)

Choose preset descrimination mode 4 I think, it silences the iron signals, then swing low, and slow. I detect in all metal mode now, but it picks-up so many targets, close together, that it would just confuse you at this stage. Lots of good reasons to start off with a beginner machine, but with patience, and dedication, you will pick it up. The amount of signals, that you can get over a short sweep is amazing, but frustrating to begin with.

Randys free xterra ebook is good reading, google it, as I cant seem to link the download from google.

Thanks for the info :D

Hopefully will get out in the yard tomorrow and have a play with it, might take some time but i will get the hang of it.

:D so exited :D

Hi guys chasing recommendations on a unit to hunt coins and relics with, have a budget of around 1000/1200 dollars, may be able to stretch a bit more.

Any advice is much appreciated

Matthew

Have a look at Minelab x terra 705. Pope of the most popularcoin/relic detectors. The Garrett At Pro is also worth checking out. These are 2 of the most popular detectors around $1000. The 705 is a bit cheaper... $750 or so.

Hi Mattallwood

Mate I have a Whites MXT All Pro new there about $1500 but you can pick one up used in excellent condition for around $800-$1000 great solid construction has a metal control box very sensitive machine's great for coins/relics and also gold. I have one still learning but seams like a great machine!. Here's a link to some info on them might help you

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/field-reports/mxt-diary

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/field-reports/mxt

Some great information here to read and help you make an informative decision.
Cheers mate.

dirtdiggin said:
Hi Mattallwood

Mate I have a Whites MXT All Pro new there about $1500 but you can pick one up used in excellent condition for around $800-$1000 great solid construction has a metal control box very sensitive machine's great for coins/relics and also gold. I have one still learning but seams like a great machine!. Here's a link to some info on them might help you

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/field-reports/mxt-diary

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/field-reports/mxt

Some great information here to read and help you make an informative decision.
Cheers mate.

Yep, there are detectors and then there is the MXT and it has and does all you need, from finding Coins to Gold prospecting and with the right Coils the MXT will find things over 3 feet Deep,

In the higher price machines there is only One Choice and that is the XP Deus and it is a very clever machine but they do cost a quid, but you are getting what you pay for and that is a Quality Machine.

Latest posts