Coils for Whites TDI Pro Oz Series

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nikos it depends on what ground you are detecting on .If it was mine I think I would be using the 6 inch coil I think you will find they are much more sensitive than the TDI coils I gather you are new to detecting .I would only stay with one coil until you get formilular with what the detector it telling you regards john

I'd use the 6" in the gold fields and the 12" on the beach they make a great beach coil and waterproof.
At a later date it wouldn't hurt getting one inbetween as a goto coil say a 14x9 coiltek or nugget finder.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
I'd use the 6" in the gold fields and the 12" on the beach they make a great beach coil and waterproof.
At a later date it wouldn't hurt getting one inbetween as a goto coil say a 14x9 coiltek or nugget finder.

Yeah I don't like using spider / spoked coils on the gold fields as sticks and rocks can get caught up in them. I much prefer closed design coils for this purpose but on the beach it doesn't really matter.

Thanks all for your feedback..will use the smaller coil..haven't had much of a chance to go prospecting as of yet..but happy for all the help..it's much less of a mystery to me now..

Nikos said:
Here are the 2 coils that came with the machine..can I ask for everyone's opinion on the coils..out nugget hunting which would you use?

My thoughts are..dd coil goes deeper..but misses smaller targets whilst the coil tech coil picks up smaller nuggets but looses depth?

Your 12" Coil is the Single field Coil on the Oz Series which has a Slower Decay Rate, The Duel Field Version Or DF, Has a much fast Decay Rate and it has a smaller 6" inner coil which is great in finer Bits But I think the Trade off is about an inch or less Depth Compared to the TDI OZ Series.
The DF Coil will see Items of about 2 grains or about 0.15 to 0.2 grams,

Both of your Coils are Good But if you are having trouble finding small Gold with the 12" the Ground might be Blinding your Detector just a Bit, By Rights your 12" Should find small Gold, NOT Tiny Gold, That's where the GMT,GB II and the Eureka come into play And not forgetting the MXT's ETC. People have found a fair bit of gold with that big coil So Don't give up on it just yet,

The Duel Field has better EMI and can see smaller Items But In very Bad Ground it might not work as well as yours, I also have the 7.5 Duel Field, and Have ordered the Two OZ Series coils as I want the best of both worlds,

The Nugget Finder 14x9 seems to be very Popular on you tube in Oz so it must be pretty Good because they sell a lot of them, But it wont match the Depth of you TDI Oz series Coil, Knowing that there is a lot more small Bits out there and that all the surface Big'uns are rare you need to decide is what you want to go after, I think I would be getting the 17x11 because the depth would be similar to the TDI's 12" But for all day grubbing around The 14x9 would be my first choice,

Hope this helps

I have a Whites SPP and was looking at the Nugget Finder and Razorback coils for it,
I've decided on the 10x6 Razorback Longreach, I think this coil is better suited for the SPP or TDI's because it's 2.5 ohms which is best for the SPP and TDI, the Nugget Finder coils are made for Minelab detectors and they are .50 ohm or half an ohm of resistance, they will still work on the SPP and TDI's on the lower ohms but maybe the Razorback at 2.5 ohms would be better.
Goldsearch who is the Whites dealer sells the Nugget Finder coils because the original store owner was mates with Nugget Finder coils people and has always sold those coils, I think Goldsearch is the only non Minelab dealer to sell Nugget Finder coils.

Dogmatic said:
I know that they are different machines, but, I trialled a sadie and a Nugget finder 12x7 on a long term test patch with my SPP and the Sadie was missing everything the 12x7 was detecting. They were sub grammers in mineralised soil (Nundle soil) at a couple of inches. I will go and do the same tests when the Oz Pro arrives. Mind you from WalnLiz's in field experience I think I will be getting one for the tighter areas.

That's surprising considering the Sadie attached my TDI Pro responds to a .13gram nugget at around 2-3 inches (air test), and on a recent trip to Hill End it was picking up on small boot tacks at several inches loud and clear.

Let us know if you have better results when the TDI Pro arrives.

I agree with the others. The stock 12" is great at the beach but NOT the goldfields. it was very noisy on my SPP but it worked great at the beach, Nothing I like more than digging a 16" hole to find another stubby cap.

The little 6" should be great on the gold fields also check out the "longreach" razor back coils. The 10 X 6 mono is a good choice.

Homebrewer, Today (was the 4th) I just bought the 6" Goldstalker Mono and the 10x5 Joey Mono just to fill the Gaps, But I need someone who will send me a 17x11 NF or the 16" NF, Or the Coiltek 18x12, also I'm thinking about the 14x9, Then I got most things covered, I sent an Email to Gold search yesterday but they have not replied yet,

Ridge Runner, Try Coiltek Marybourough or take a look at Detech coils they have some solid feedback, if you are in VIC Peter from Detech is demonstrating some of his coils out near Talbot at 10:30 tomorrow morning.

BTW Theres some good feedback on the 12 X 7 monos for the Whites machine, I havent tried it however I tried a 14 X 9 Mono NF and in a test bed it failed to see a .4 piece at 6 inches, I tried a 8" Commander and it had a sweet tone.

My advice would be to get to know your machine, set up a test bed in mineralised soil, small lead shot at varying depths, listen to the varying tones and use headphones if possible, run it with a high gain if it will allow, smooth threshold and GB often in the really nasty soil, Most of all keep the coil low to the ground and use SLOW swings.

Good luck..

Thanks mate, They also have the 11" Coiltek Goldstalker for sale at a fair price but I am not sure weather to get it or not because I have the 12" DF But ?? saying that the 11" is a Straight Mono (single Field) which is better for Oz Soils,

I'm over seas at the moment and I'm not sure went I'm coming home, So I need a Retailer who will send me what I need, of coarse that means I will have to pay the freight but thems the breaks, aye.

I might see how good the rest of the Commander range are if the 8" was that good.

I know you have to crank up the Delay when you use bigger coils IE on A 16" you have to go up to about 15-17us because it seems that the bigger the coil it makes it a Lower Delay Speed so you have to compensate for it.

Thanks again, RR

The 16" NF will need the delay around 15 or so to work been there' had one sold it.
The 14x9 coiltek (blitz) is still very sensitive to small gold and makes an excellent all round coil in my book tho I still find the razor back coils better' iv got a 10x14 mono to test from MJD it's very light and quiet.
The razor back duel field coils so far iv had no problems with in our vic soils.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
The 16" NF will need the delay around 15 or so to work been there' had one sold it.
The 14x9 coiltek (blitz) is still very sensitive to small gold and makes an excellent all round coil in my book tho I still find the razor back coils better' iv got a 10x14 mono to test from MJD it's very light and quiet.
The razor back duel field coils so far iv had no problems with in our vic soils.

Do you have to change the Delay with the 14x9 Coiltek or did it run @ 10us,

I have not heard of MJD

Thanks again

Zuke_Lynzy said:
The coiltek blitz worked fine at 10, MJD are coils made by miner john @ razorback

Weldone, Thanks for that,

Well I'm going to Go for the Blitz then, I did some tests in the Past and Coiltek always came in first, and I think your right,

So I've got the 7.5 DF and the 12" DF, The 6" Goldstalker Mono and the 10x5 Joey Mono and if I get the 14x9 as well then I only need to get a whooper maybe a 16 or 18 maybe bigger??? and I'm set.

I've never used anything bigger than the WOT coil so I haven't got a Clue,

Thanks again, Great Info.

I am reading about altering the delay when using larger coils on whites detector .This is possible with TDI I think from what I under stand but with the SPP it is not .Am I reading it right regards john :)

old hand said:
I am reading about altering the delay when using larger coils on whites detector .This is possible with TDI I think from what I under stand but with the SPP it is not .Am I reading it right regards john :)

Yes Mate, But it only applies when you start using Bigger coils than the standard 12" coil But with a 14x9 the Maths add up the same or close to the 12" coil so the 14x7 is ok

Hope this helps

At the moment I am using a n/f 14x7 on the spp it works well , but I also have a 16 round I have not tried it on the spp as yet it will be interesting to see how they run together regards john :)

old hand said:
At the moment I am using a n/f 14x7 on the spp it works well , but I also have a 16 round I have not tried it on the spp as yet it will be interesting to see how they run together regards john :)

Well I think it was Reg who said you have to run them up at around 17us,

I think what happens is the bigger the Coil it Lowers your Delay Automatically So you have to compensate for that or you Detector will be running too Low and I think the Biggest you can run would be 16x8 14x9 and Maybe a 14" at a pinch,

I spoke to Dean Via Email and he said that A Customer had good results using the round 14" NF, But I Think the 16 might be pushing your Luck, Yes it will run it but Will The Delay Time be suitable for Gold ?? I don't know that the answer to that one, Hopefully Reg will come back and Chime in As he is the All seeing eye on Such Matters,, Maybe you should hold off using it in case you need to change it for the 14" one ?? Just A Thought,

Good Luck,

Latest posts