Coil questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what is modded to it, but a stock SD2200D would be quite erratic in most ground with a 14" Mono. I'd go a DD Pro or the 15x12" DD Commander, and also get a regulated power supply at 7.3V.

Don't think anyone makes them anymore, but they usually pop up on eBay. Might need to do a ring around the various detector shops.
I made my own out of a Jaycar kit I think, and used a heavy but bulletproof 12v gel cell battery for power. The slightly higher and constant voltage kept the units stable, and consistent performance through the day.

Nenad

Spoke to Trevor from Coiltek, and he advised that the 14"DD Pro Elite is still a current coil. This is great news for all SD and GP owners.

Hi Guys

Thanks for taking the time to red this ( and hopefully reply) last weekend out having a swing put on my joey coil and found it on the fritz dam changed coils all good so as I haven't looked at coils for a few years what would be a good replacement for for my joey

All advice welcomed
thanks in advance

Chris

Mono?

Nugget Finder "Sadie" 8"x6"

Minelab Commander (or Super Goldsearch) 8" Round

Detech 8" Round or 6" Round

Coiltek Gold a Stalker 6" Round

Before you spend up large on a new coil, you could try contacting site sponsor and member AngerManagement about getting your Joey repaired:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=3760

He's a highly-skilled repair technician and a top bloke and from my personal experience, works wonders with coil cables and headphone leads. He'll help if he can with other metal detecting gear electrical problems too.

Thanks for all the input guys it was all well received I might go for a Sadie and repair being an electrical technician by trade and having built many coils in the past anything from small rf coils to medium (6inch) tesla coils I may give it a go myself
thanks again

Christos

So im after a new coil for my trip to tibb in just over two weeks so im running a 4500 and coils im looking are
14x9 nf evo
11 coiltek elite
8x6 nf sadie
Will be used in the adelaide hills most of the time and can get quite overgrown

Hey mate, I use a 14 x 9 evo in pretty overgrown land, its a great coil on the 4500, its light and sensitive. Took me a bit of playing around to find its quieter settings, old hand was a great help there. Not sure how deep the nugget was, I dug about 8 inches, in soft ground, it might have been on the top or right down, dont know for sure, the 14 x 9 is easy to pin point with.
Found a half grammer a few trips ago in difficult country, hot ground.

Hey mate,

For just Adelaide Hills, it would be a toss up between the 11" elite and 14x9". But as you are going to Tibby, the extra ground coverage of the 14x9" and easier pinpointing would steer my opinion towards the Evo.

Nenad

Got these at Jupiter with the 14x9 recently

1464352395_20160518_131241-1.jpg

hey gofind I have no experience with the evo but my wife runs a 14" elite and we are very impressed with it. her smallest piece so far is .06 and had no trouble. hope this helps. jim

Looking at purchasing the Double "D" harness made in Bendigo and using it with their SDC2300 bungee cord .
Has anyone on the forum any experience with it .

Cheers

goldrat

Have about twenty of Deans (DD Leather) products including several custom made bags and could not fault one of them ....... quality plus and top guy to deal with.
Have his full harness and also the belt only type and as they are super wide and well padded comfortable all day long. Can guarantee one thing you won't break or wear them out. ;)
Dean designed and made the kit to use with his own SDC
No affiliation just credit were it's due.

Gold rat, I too can vouch for DD gear. I have the harness and the bungee and 3 other of his items,they are strong and comfortable, and as Bogger said, a great guy to deal with.

Latest posts