Coil questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zuke_Lynzy said:
Sounds like you have all you need to me'

Yeah mate I think I am all set but will get a pin pointer shortly,and I got it at a really good price... :) :) :) :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the reply's...

Cheers...Sparra

Hi Sparra, Get my pin pointer on Saturday after some lessons and have a look around on Sunday you never your luck in a big city
Cheers

On the coil front,down where I detect the grass tufts are pretty tight and close together so I am thinking of a smaller type coil...Any recommendations..(gold coil)

Cheers...Sparra

So, I've just purchased a used GPX 4800 got a pretty nice deal, but as it was originally just a basic package, it only came with the stock 11" DD, screw that.

I want something mid to small, 10 to 14" has to be mono..
I was thinking 11" commander mono, Coiltek 12x8" Platypus mono or maybe the 12 x 7" NF Mono..

Would appreciate any info from those have experience with the above coils..

thanks.

You can't go wrong with the 11" commander as a starting point I reckon. They are a good allrounder & will get gold.
I have a 14x7 NF also that pretty much stays on now. Good size & maneuverability. Good sensitivity too. Can't really comment on depth as only found shallow gold with it so far but I have dug some holes up to 2ft chasing junk targets so it will punch fairly deep too. I think you'll find most NF coils will be good & fairly sensitive even on larger configurations. Recently had a loan of a 17"x11" NF & it was still picking up very small lead shot so should ping small gold.

mbasko said:
You can't go wrong with the 11" commander as a starting point I reckon. They are a good allrounder & will get gold.
I have a 14x7 NF also that pretty much stays on now. Good size & maneuverability. Good sensitivity too. Can't really comment on depth as only found shallow gold with it so far but I have dug some holes up to 2ft chasing junk targets so it will punch fairly deep too. I think you'll find most NF coils will be good & fairly sensitive even on larger configurations. Recently had a loan of a 17"x11" NF & it was still picking up very small lead shot so should ping small gold.

I believe I will go for the 12x8NF I hadn't really thought much about maneuverability, I think the 11" mono would hang up a bit in the thick scrub.

What do you want out of the coil? more depth? The 11" mono will give a bit more depth in quiet ground but the reverse is true when the ground get's hot. Switching between the two would cover all bases I suppose.

I agree with the theme of:

All rounder clear ground - 11 or 14" round - probably the 11" as a start.

All rounder in scrubby ground - the NF 14 x 7 or 14 x 9 - probably the 14 x 7 for closer ground where you can push in as opposed to swing.

For fun on mullock heaps - the 11" is OK - maybe a smaller coil on historically known small gold - I run the 8" mono - does exceptionally well on really small stuff.

On trashy ground (that often get ignored by monos), what about trying an 11" DD? They can be good fun especially after a frustrating day of digging crXp around old diggings. Also great for relic /coin hunting.

8" mono , (11 dd), 14-16" mono. Not a huge difference in depth when you go bigger than 16"
Those 3 coils will do everything I ran the 8" mono and 12x15 dd and those 2 coils did everything.

The 8" mono will go as deep as the 11"dd but you need a dd in case of hot ground.

loamer said:
I agree with the theme of:

All rounder clear ground - 11 or 14" round - probably the 11" as a start.

All rounder in scrubby ground - the NF 14 x 7 or 14 x 9 - probably the 14 x 7 for closer ground where you can push in as opposed to swing.

For fun on mullock heaps - the 11" is OK - maybe a smaller coil on historically known small gold - I run the 8" mono - does exceptionally well on really small stuff.

On trashy ground (that often get ignored by monos), what about trying an 11" DD? They can be good fun especially after a frustrating day of digging crXp around old diggings. Also great for relic /coin hunting.

Totally agree with the DD bit. I've been in the GT for near 4weeks and in a couple of places I've gone to the 11" DD. I run it with discrimination off. When I get a target, I put the dicrimin on at about 4, if it chops, I ignore.

It's saved me a fair bit of digging. I did find a 0.2gr with the DD

The guy at detect'a den said the same thing.. Lol I've been playing with it, it's pretty much the perfect coil not too heavy..

Hey Downhalo, what coil would you recommend as best for a modded level 2 F1A4?

Im not one to keep changing coils, assuming a mono would work better but size wise ive got no idea. Have a 6inch DD on the Exterra so maybe a bigger coil to complement the arsenal. I was initially thinking a 14 inch NF. Any advice appreciated.

Twapster said:
Hey Downhalo, what coil would you recommend as best for a modded level 2 F1A4?

Im not one to keep changing coils, assuming a mono would work better but size wise ive got no idea. Have a 6inch DD on the Exterra so maybe a bigger coil to complement the arsenal. I was initially thinking a 14 inch NF. Any advice appreciated.

Well my F1 was self modded, 2 timings and 2 extra frequencies, (not as much work done as woody will do, Anyway it loves the 8" commander mono (or stock coil) they're brilliant.
But if you want something with a little more size, I just purchased the 4 new coils for my 4800, one being the 12" NF Mono, I tested it out on Wednesday for a couple hours, Its actually the perfect fit for this machine.
Really good sensitivity to smaller bits, and nice depth..

Anything bigger an your arms going to fall off because the machine just isn't balanced well, unless you do the shaft mod.

1401410611_photo_11.jpg

Latest posts