Coil questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
downhalo said:
Well my F1 was self modded, 2 timings and 2 extra frequencies, (not as much work done as woody will do, Anyway it loves the 8" commander mono (or stock coil) they're brilliant.

What is meant by 2 timings and 2 extra fequencies?

installed 2 extra frequency crystals, and the timings is basically changing the pulse rates by shorting IC circuits, (i've removed those since they had little to no effect) frequency mod still installed and works great.

Thanks for the reply's folks...I just bought a NF 8"x 6" but have yet to use it...On the 4500 would I have to change many settings to use this coils as opposed to the 10" mono that came with it??

Cheers...Sparra

Could anyone tell me why a lot of prospectors use oval coils particularly the nugget finder brand?

any answers would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Rusty.

There are a number of reasons i myself use elip coils. My most used one would be the 17x11 NF mono.
The biggest reason for this coil is, ground coverage. It has a footprint of 17" with each swing, which when trying to over ground, is better than 14" which would be the closest round coil to compare it with. (Tho the 14" does have the edge when it comes to outright depth.)
The 17x11 has very good sensitivity to both shallow, and deep targets, and would have to be one of the best sized coils for general detecting where sensitivity, depth and coverage come into play.

Elips have a hidden advantage, more windings to bring the coil up to tune, that gives them a tad more oomph over their depth reach. It also gives them a slightly elongated cone compared to the more circular one from round coils. This advantage comes into play when you just clip the edge of a deep target. However as said above, the field from these shaped coils tends to be very strong to their reach, apart from being easier to pin-point with, there a lot better at poking in and around trees and bushes.

Thanks for the information Narrawa that was very informative,is the NF better than other brands?

Thanks again for taking the time out to explain.

Rusty1965 said:
Thanks for the information Narrawa that was very informative,is the NF better than other brands?

Thanks again for taking the time out to explain.
I believed they were, but in recent times im not so sure. The price continues to rise with no real improvement to coils, no matter the brand. If you get one that works out of the box, be thankful.

I read to many posts on coils that have to be returned for whatever reason, and the owner/end user praise the company for their after sales service. Honestly.??...you pay large amounts of money for these things, why lay praise for something that failed and had to be returned. It should not have failed for that sort of money, and i simply don't understand thanking the company for their willingness to repair/replace the item. When you see this happening out here in the middle of nowhere, and large distances have to be traveled in order to send it off to be replaced/repaired.....it becomes annoying for those it effects.

I use older model coils that have proved themselves, and i buy secondhand ones that i get to use before committing to the purchase. I do have some older coils that have now become unstable, and due to the price you can pick them up SH....there not worth fixing.

Hey guys i recently bought an old sd2000 with a coiltek 430x280mm orange coil. I plan on using this detector in highly mineralised area in s.a and was wondering if this coil would suit this or should i go smaller and if so, how small would you suggest in order to get the best out of the old girl..
thanks folks

In highly mineralized ground on a sd2000, a dd 11 inch commander or even a elliptical ml I think they are 5x10 dd will handle the mineralized ground and should not give you much trouble regards john

Thanks guys i had been told to go smaller than i have already but that was all the info i was given so your advice is greatly appreciated as now i have an idea how small to go. It seems to be a stock sd2000 except the old tone toggle is now fixed still, apparently for depth, the old threshold is now tone an threshold has a new toggle above tone. Is this a known modification?
As you can tell im new but am dedicated plus being in the bush is the best sort of therapy which Dr's cant prescribe. I know the sd2000 is old but it was once a 5grand detector an im sure between that and an xterra 705 gold I'll stumble across a nice specimen sooner or later..

Again thanks for lending me some of your knowledge guys and taking the time to respond, u cant buy experience..

S.A_Stu

I think if I was using a 2000 these days I would get a 4 position switch put on it its a frequency switch from memory .I had it done to my 2000 back in those days and it made it a excellent detector but that is the only thing I would get done to it regards john :)

Thanks John, this is something that has been bouncin around my head.. i was thinkin of contacting woody

Thanks mbasko
Im not the brightest or should i say very confident but ill ask a friend and see wot he says..

What would be a ball park price i should expect to get a 4point switch added?? Anyone know?

Most likely will be dictated by where you detect most frequently. I used a NF 14"X7" mono on my SD2200D but couldn't use it everywhere & had to put a DD back on. I know rc62burke on here uses a mono successfully his modded SD2200D up in Nth Qld.
If your close to a shop get a demo Coiltek 14" mono elite to try first. I know that the Coiltek 14" DD pro elite won't be a problem - great coil for the older SD/GP series. Finding one can sometimes be an issue though.
Been trying to get some feedback on the Coiltek 14" mono elite or the new Nugget Finder evolution coils when being used on an older SD/GP machine but nothing so far. Part of me thinks they might be ok but I'm also a bit apprehensive about the extra sensitivity & how that will go stability wise on the old girls?

Yeah I didn't realise that Coiltek stopped making the pro elite, I wouldnt mind some feedback on the mono elite to.
I detect in very quartzy and alot of ironstone so not sure if the mono would be to noisy or not.

Latest posts