Classifier Sieves information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TenOunce Tone said:
Have you had a chance to use your screens and blue bowl yrt Headsup. I found an old tea infuser in the kitchen today. It has s real fine stainless mesh. I put some black sand and in and gave it s shake.. low and behold some really small gold was in the ultra fines... had a look with yhe 10x loupe and there is a fair bit of really fine gold in there.. will have a bit more of a play in the daylight and see uf i can get a pic through yhe loupe..

Judt goes to shiw how much hold we throw out!!
I was looking at this spiral gravity trap design today. It is a comervial scale device. 50+ ton an hour but it catches down to 30 micron. I will put a link to it soon.

never seen commercial scale in the spiral bowl machine . i did see some fibreglass spiral things once that looked like a waterslide at the funpark except they were about 3 feet in diameter and 8 feet high , there was about 40 of them used in a mine but i dont know what metal / mineral they were processing

interested to see the one you found

my fine mesh sieves are still on their way from albakirkee . USA :p

TenOunce Tone said:
I was looking at this spiral gravity trap design today. It is a comervial scale device. 50+ ton an hour but it catches down to 30 micron. I will put a link to it soon.

Sounds like a knelson concentrator.

DD

TenOunce Tone said:

Sounds like a knelson concentrator.

DD

Dont know why it came up twice :8

Hi again,
I finally have the results of my screening attempts, now take into account this was from the black sand I collected in this pic..

1377951101_2013-08-31_12.56.12.jpg

I two separate snifter bottles, one got the majority of the gold and the other got the contents of the pan well...
This is what was left in with the black sands, now this pic is taken through a 10x loupe that I placed in front of my phones camera lens. Just used a couple of elastic bands to hold it in place.
The white container is about 12mm id across, it is the inside of a vial lid...

1379048168_fine_gold.jpg

Very fine, but very encouraging.

Makes me want to go through the rest of the wash in my back yard now... it took about an hour to get this out, I did not use the blue bowl as it was only a small amount and I used a 10" pan. and then a lot of patience to the the bigger black sands out..

Hi All,

I need to pick up a set of classifiers, can anyone recommend anyone in Australia - can't really wait for Fleabay and Amazon. After up to 100 for classifying for a blue bowl. I can always MacGuyver it if anyone can suggest anything.

Cheers in advance!!

FNQ miners den have all the sieves you need.
I just use to make my own.

Thanks XIV, i checked and they don't go down to 1/100 which is what i need for the Blue Bowl Concentrator, unless i'm blind of course and have missed them. Haha

mate go to kmart or similar and buy a flour sievethere stainless steel and work like magic!

Cheers for that, will swing by Kmart after work and take a peek.

I was there on Saturday. They do have them.
If needed I can get one and post it to you.
I think the 100 mesh was about $44
Let me know
Cheers Kane.

No far north qld miners den. In Cairns.
He has a much bigger range than what the do in Melbourne

hey shane I ordered mine form the states, ebay special got here in 2 days mate there was none in Australasia at the time

these sets are always available at aussie disposals as well. its the fine mesh thats hard to get hold of. which os funny because most fo the gold we get around ballarat is really fine

Ahh yeah might just bite the bullet and get some Keene ones. Goldigga - i'll give you a buzz and maybe we can go for a banker run on the weekend - want to still do a shakedown on the spra ybar (bought a new one and went at it with a dropsaw) I think the slots are too wide now, maybe i'll have a go with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder. Just want to see the right amount of water i need through the bottom box. Cheers

if you get yourself some of the the standard ag pipe from bunning its about $6 for three metres, plus a few small clamps and plugs you can make up a few, fine spray for destroying clay and wide spray for already clean material. chat with ya soon mate

looks like this but a bit thinner.
p7220522.jpg

hey guys,

i'm a bit curious on what size sieves you guys use to classify different material.

I've recently got my job back as a construction materials technitian (soil tester) and we use many many different size sieves for different tests, sizes from over 75mm to as small as 0.075mm

once these sieves dont meet calibration requirements they essentially can't be recalibrated so they are useless to use in the laboratory so I can pretty much get whatever size sieve i really want to add to my prospecting tools.

What size sieves do you guys use for different classifying?

cheers.

Latest posts