Classifier Sieves information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taz

Reaction score
looking to buy sieves,but no camp store or army disposal has any..grrrrrrr.. help?

Just got a couple of sets off Brad and they're heaps better than the common aluminium type....best sieves I've seen on the market...Cheers Wal.

I am making mine after seen them in use. Two 20L bucket one inside the other, one complete the other with holes drilled all around bottom and some in the side up to about 1/2 way. Holds more and works great, also cheaper as buckets can be picked up for free at various building sites. Oh did I mention Cost FREE. :D

That's cheap hey?
fda55a1134da2f07523e5674d77e1fd4_zpsf5c9612d.jpg

These are only $30 each. Sizes 1/2", 1/4", 1/8".

Not just cheap...best sieves on the market at the moment...Keep the 3 i ordered aside for me please Brad....Cheers Wal :)

Tried the bucket method Dave ....OK if your only classifying small amounts for the gold pan....If you use them all day on sapphires you only get about 4 trips out of them....For gems you need the wire mesh in the bottom....Cheers Wal :)

whoops - I hit the quote button instead of edit :D

Is there a "delete post" option?

The delete button is disabled to prevent confusion when a member deletes their post, I've seen on other forums confusing and gappy one way conversations only to realise someone has deleted their posts. You can use the report button to request the removal of a post or use the edit button to modify it (within 24 hours of making the post).

P.S. I just removed the post for you :D

I guess the reason Aussie detecting can sell their sieves so cheep is they make it up on their minelab gpx 5000 detectors that sell for more than $1000 more in Australia than they do in the USA, check it out.
No need to be cheeky Aussie Det. I can give as good as I get, I was only trying to help the guy out!
Didn't find you on ebay, else I would have recommended you.

That bucket method works really well Ag Man...seen them in operation and the ones with the wire mesh last forever...It's the ones with the holes drilled in the bottom of the top bucket that don't last...they certainly classify a lot of dirt in a short time.....thinking of knocking up a couple for myself..Cheers Wal. :)

My appologies Aussie Det. finilly someone who is not dumb enough to get caught up in all the hipe, ;)
I was looking at those alluminium ones and they were mostly arouind $45 each
Are those Garret sieves? if they are it's not a bad price.
Trouble is there is not a shop who sells them within Coo wee of here, so I always have to pay postage. :(

Bunning's also sell a garden sieve, believe the holes are 1/4 inch or about 6mm. Plastic and under $10 but still believe the best is the bucket Agman has posted on how to make. They realy do work quick & cost next to nothing to make.

For Panning & river sluicing for gold, the bucket sieve method just lets you process lots of material & we all know that the more material you process the more gold you'll get.

One of the best bits of advice given to me is below.

Others have given me advice over the years about not to sieve down too small or you can lose gold by accidently chucking it out with the bigger stuff the sieve classified.

I've taken it on board(it's paid off well) & you'll rarely see me sieve other than with the bucket.

Whether I pan or sluice - I just use the bucket sieve 10-12mm or 1/2squares & that's as small as I'll classify. Anything bigger should be easy to identify & anything smaller is easy & quick to pan off or easily sluiced.

Happened to me twice now, that I've found larger pieces in my pan that otherwise could have been screened off with a1/4" or 6mm sieve & possibly lost.

Be very thorough in washing your material in the pan - break down any clay, wash any grass roots & insure you get them heavies down to the bottom.

Most of us don't get large pieces often in the pan but when they do turn up they far out-weigh the fine stuff we usually go home with.

Since using the buckets and Garrett 14 &15" pans, my panning time has gotten quick & recovery increased. Win, win :D

Latest posts